Mike Ford is on his way !!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Mike Ford is on his way !!

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:56 pm Bath were immense for two seasons under Ford across the park. Forwards carried hard and into space and the backs cut teams to ribbons. We have the players so if we could bring that style into the club we could be onto a winner.
Exactly. He got done over by Craig, was definitely a knee jerk reaction that hasn't paid off for them.

Not sure how much you can read into his struggles at Toulon, his French was poor so he was always going to struggle get the team/staff motivated even with all the foreign stars in it.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scuttle wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:12 pm Personally I would be happy to have Mike Ford's experience at the Club. I think his sacking by Bath was a knee jerk reaction after a below par season but you couldn't say that his sacking was a success for Bath. I think he has plenty to offer in the right role as others have said, and he does spend a lot of time at the Club.... for obvious reasons! If he feels ready to take the plunge from Bath to Tigers that is fine by me. Sorry that was bad !
I think he lost the dressing room at Bath over the Sam Burgess affair.

As a consultant in a similar way to Lancaster at Leinster he could work well for us.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

sapajo wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:44 pm If it happens I take my hat off to Mike Ford!

He persuaded George to leave Tigers and join him at Bath.

Ford Snr gets the sack and George rejoins Tigers together with Joe.

Mike Ford joins Tigers and in so doing so has found a single palace for the Ford dynasty. Fait Accomplit :smt038
Ah! The 'Ford Sleepers' have woken and infiltrated the Tigers Den!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Just when you think it can't get any worse, it does! :smt009 :smt009 :smt009
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
nasher

Post by nasher »

The downward spiral continues. Instead of finding a decent defence coach we are about to waste more money on the Ford clan- joe not good enough,his brother spends more time with England than tigers and we are still prepared to waste money rather than to solve the problem. Posters who say player power rules may well be correct.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

nasher wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:51 pm The downward spiral continues. Instead of finding a decent defence coach we are about to waste more money on the Ford clan- joe not good enough,his brother spends more time with England than tigers and we are still prepared to waste money rather than to solve the problem. Posters who say player power rules may well be correct.
I don't remember defence being an issue during Johnno's time with England. His problem was that everyone expected him to win and at the same time transition from the old guard that had been loitering around the squad past their peak to the new generation.

At Bath Ford oversaw a mediocre team jump up the table with the development of a young squad. Once again the defence was pretty good. After he left they signed a big name Kiwi head coach and have gone nowhere.

He's taken Germany forward. They will go to the world cup. I presume he'd like to lead them there which would rule out a long term or controlling position. Having his experience available to Murphy in the role of a consultant would not be a bad thing. Keep Murphy as the main man just add some readily available experience to his coaching staff.

If there's a better coach that can come in quickly then go get him. As Ford is sat in the stands most weeks we might as well use him.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

BIttySmalls wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:05 pm That's a couple of different sources today who confidently claim Mike Ford is coming imminently.

Thoughts?
:smt013 :smt009 :smt011
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:19 pm
BIttySmalls wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:05 pm That's a couple of different sources today who confidently claim Mike Ford is coming imminently.

Thoughts?
:smt013 :smt009 :smt011
Any reason in particular? Or just default dislike of any suggestion that isn't to bring back RC??!
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Ford is a proven excellent defence coach. We have now conceded more tries this season than the average number of tries we normally concede over a whole season (in the Prem), was a stat I heard this weekend.

We need a combination of good coaching and team bonding, no matter how good the coaching, if the players are not playing for each other, it will not improve and we will be fighting relegation.

Bring on Ford as defence coach or DoR, but retain GM as head coach.

If ellis doesn't like MF, that only reinforces my view, as he's wrong 9 times out of 10!! :smt002
Soggypitch
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

If Mike Ford returns George and his brother will dominate the fly half positions no matter how bad they are playing, when George was playing for Bath and his father was head coach he was never dropped or subbed no mater how he was playing, this appointment will only strengthen the Ford, Young, Tuillagi and Cole cartel.
As an aside have we any female physio's.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

It constantly amazes me how some fans hold ridiculous prejudices despite facts and reality staring them in the face. Ford Snr's credentials are excellent whilst a defence coach for England, read the stats! He also steered Bath to two very successful seasons before being shafted. Ford Snr would make a huge improvement to our defence should he be offered the role, temporarily or permanent.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:10 pm ]He's taken Germany forward. They will go to the world cup. .
Afraid not, sam. Germany nearly made it but not quite, they were beaten by Canada, I think.
They are undoubtedly on the up and will surely be in the mix for qualification in 2023.
Semper in excretia
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

DingDong wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:16 am It constantly amazes me how some fans hold ridiculous prejudices despite facts and reality staring them in the face. Ford Snr's credentials are excellent whilst a defence coach for England, read the stats! He also steered Bath to two very successful seasons before being shafted. Ford Snr would make a huge improvement to our defence should he be offered the role, temporarily or permanent.
Ridiculous, indeed!!
Seems to me that the knives are already being brandished before Mike Ford has even set foot in Welford Rd!
Semper in excretia
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Robespierre wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:21 am
DingDong wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:16 am It constantly amazes me how some fans hold ridiculous prejudices despite facts and reality staring them in the face. Ford Snr's credentials are excellent whilst a defence coach for England, read the stats! He also steered Bath to two very successful seasons before being shafted. Ford Snr would make a huge improvement to our defence should he be offered the role, temporarily or permanent.
Ridiculous, indeed!!
Seems to me that the knives are already being brandished before Mike Ford has even set foot in Welford Rd!
Or even before his appointment has been announced. I assume we are all commenting on rumour.
As Good As It Gets
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Soggypitch wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:53 am Ford is a proven excellent defence coach. We have now conceded more tries this season than the average number of tries we normally concede over a whole season (in the Prem), was a stat I heard this weekend.

We need a combination of good coaching and team bonding, no matter how good the coaching, if the players are not playing for each other, it will not improve and we will be fighting relegation.

Bring on Ford as defence coach or DoR, but retain GM as head coach.

If ellis doesn't like MF, that only reinforces my view, as he's wrong 9 times out of 10!! :smt002
Have you missed other people's thoughts or just chosen to ignore them? I'm not the only one.

Oh and by the way, if you look back over all of my posts, you'll see that I'm probably right 9 times out of 10, not the other way around.