Tigers allowed to leave

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mikeg

Tigers allowed to leave

Post by mikeg »

Why have so many good players been allowed to leave the club in recent years. When you look round the premiership you make up a team of ex tigers who could well beat our current side got to be the fault of the board :smt022
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers allowed to leave

Post by Tiglon »

Go on then, list a team of ex-Tigers in the Premiership that could be better than our current best XV...
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:06 pm Go on then, list a team of ex-Tigers in the Premiership that could be better than our current best XV...
Looking forward to this. :smt002 As a baseline, I suggest our current (likely) best XV, disregarding injury, is...

1. Genge
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Spencer
5. Kitchener
6. Denton
7. O'Connor
8. Kalamafoni
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. May
12. Toomua
13. Tuilagi
14. Thompstone
15. Veainu
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

1. Fraser Balmain/Kieran Brookes
2. Harry Thacker/George McGuigan
3. Logovi'i Mulipola
4. Ed Slater
5. Calum Green/Dom Barrow
6. Jamie Gibson
8. Jordan Crane
9. Michael Young
10. Freddie Burns/Toby Flood
11. Henry Purdy/Alex Lewington
12. Billy Twelvetrees/Owain Williams
13. Will Hurrell
14. Vereniki Goneva/Paolo Odogwu

Have I missed anyone? Who would you push into 7 and 15?

There are a few top players in there, but if the Tigers fans are complaining about this lot being let go I can only imagine what the Wasps messageboard is like with Cipriani, the Vunipola's and Piutau's now facing them in the Premiership...
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:31 pm 1. Fraser Balmain/Kieran Brookes
3. Logovi'i Mulipola
4. Ed Slater
6. Jamie Gibson
8. Jordan Crane
9. Michael Young
13. Will Hurrell

There are a few top players in there, but if the Tigers fans are complaining about this lot being let go I can only imagine what the Wasps messageboard is like with Cipriani, the Vunipola's and Piutau's now facing them in the Premiership...
Thomas Waldron at 8 Julian Salvi at 7, not forgetting Geoff Parling, Julian Dupay, Scott Steele (9), Ford (before he came back), must be more...!
Soggypitch
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

3. Logovi'i Mulipola
4. Ed Slater
6. Jamie Gibson
8. Jordan Crane
9. Michael Young
13. Will Hurrell

Perhaps Bell at 15?
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

3. Logovi'i Mulipola
4. Ed Slater
6. Jamie Gibson
8. Jordan Crane
9. Michael Young
13. Will Hurrell

If you wanted to stretch things a tad then Hamish Watson is a shoe in at 7. Matera the same at blindside.

Perry Humphreys at 15?

Being pedantic then switch Logo to loose head with Baltrain IMO the better TH than Brookes these days.

I'd argue McCaffery was a bigger loss than Crane at the points when they left. Luke Hamilton during his time here was performing comparably to Gibson during his time as well.

These lists are always completely subjective and also a very blinkered way of viewing recruitment as players do leave simply for personal reasons though. Pablo Matera is a good example there, he'd undoubtedly make this side better but he left as he wanted to be part of the Jaguares when the first started.

If we're simply naming the strongest side that has left irrespective of circumstances of them leaving then Steve Mafi should be in there as well. He has mucked the club about twice now but he's a hell of a player.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

It'd be more interesting and far less repetitive to see a list of ex-Gloucester, ex-Falcons, ex-Wasps, Worcester, LI etc!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Well if we’re talking about starting XV, Slater, Gibson and Goneva would walk back into the side.

But the premiership isn’t won by 15 players but by a good squad with quality in depth. Therefore we should have retained the likes of Balmain, McGuigan, Thacker, Burns, Williams, Lewington and Bell. Obviously it’s only natural some players leave, but questions have to be asked when it’s this many.

Hamilton or Mcaffrey is another big loss I feel this season. Wouldn’t be starting XV for me but can cover the whole backrow and never let anyone down when called upon. Mcaffrey was actually surprising a very talented player, good ball in hand with an offload, strong over the ball and quick.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

We have certainly let a good number of key players leave, only to replaced by those who are inferior.

On a personal note, I was not, and still am not , happy with the return of George Ford.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:57 pm We have certainly let a good number of key players leave, only to replaced by those who are inferior.

On a personal note, I was not, and still am not , happy with the return of George Ford.
George Ford is a difficult one, is he better than Burns and Williams? For me he is a far superior player to both of them.

However, he’s away with England in the Autumn and Six Nations and without adequate cover that is turning into a liability. He was covered by Priestland when at Bath. When Farrell is away they have Goode, Lozowski, Malins who can all cover 10. We don’t really have anyone to cover him when he’s away.

Therefore should we have kept Burns and Williams who would have been available all season, would have pushed each other to get better? Maybe.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

BFG wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:03 pm It'd be more interesting and far less repetitive to see a list of ex-Gloucester, ex-Falcons, ex-Wasps, Worcester, LI etc!
Yeah, players leave all clubs, not just us. Way some posters harp on, you'd think no one should ever leave Tigers. At the time, I don't recall too much dissent when most of the above mentioned left, apart from Slater and Burns. And they were swapped for arguably better players. Tigers current problem is we are not making the best of the players we have got. It's coaching that is the problem, not player quality
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

mikeg wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:50 pm Why have so many good players been allowed to leave the club in recent years. When you look round the premiership you make up a team of ex tigers who could well beat our current side got to be the fault of the board :smt022
:smt015 :smt015 :smt015 :smt015
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:34 pm
mikeg wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:50 pm Why have so many good players been allowed to leave the club in recent years. When you look round the premiership you make up a team of ex tigers who could well beat our current side got to be the fault of the board :smt022
:smt015 :smt015 :smt015 :smt015
Not often I agree with ellis but deffo on this. 5 bad moves, 100 good riddance
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

3. Logovi'i Mulipola
4. Ed Slater
6. Jamie Gibson
8. Jordan Crane
9. Michael Young
13. Will Hurrell

An interesting list. Out of which, as has been posted above, I reckon maybe on Slater and Goneva (even with his free bus pass) would get anywhere near the first team shirt on a weekly basis.

What is interesting is that the props are all Tight-heads. Brookes has not developed and is firmly off the international radar. Balmain is becoming a decent player at Gloucester but not really pushing beyond club level, and (fragile) Mulipola is enjoying a pre-retirement sojourn up north (good for him).

Gibson I get but he’s not the physical presence of Denton.

McCaffrey I count of one of our biggest losses. It was criminal to let him go. Yes, he wasn’t a big number 8 but he was a superb player.