LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by RagingBull »

Kwagga Smith looking for a Prem club, according to Fissler.
Might be a good start in the re-building process... :smt017

Also talks with Manu have begun Tigers hoping to know what is happening by Christmas.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:24 am Whichever empty head on the board thought letting Thacker go and spending loads of money on TPN needs jetisoning immediately!
Not only is Thacker a great player, he also captained the team in the A League and Anglo-Welsh Cup and could have been a future leader in the team.

How many leaders have we lost from this group? Ex captain of Tigers, Slater, has also gone. For some reason O’Connor was captain of Hawkes Bay but doesn’t seem to have a voice in our squad.

It’s not only quality we’re missing, but a bit like England we’re missing leadership from the senior players.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:40 pm
CitizenSmiff wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:24 am Whichever empty head on the board thought letting Thacker go and spending loads of money on TPN needs jetisoning immediately!
Not only is Thacker a great player, he also captained the team in the A League and Anglo-Welsh Cup and could have been a future leader in the team.

How many leaders have we lost from this group? Ex captain of Tigers, Slater, has also gone. For some reason O’Connor was captain of Hawkes Bay but doesn’t seem to have a voice in our squad.

It’s not only quality we’re missing, but a bit like England we’re missing leadership from the senior players.
I agree with you in the main.
Slater going is the biggest disappointment for me but who was to know that his injury troubles were behind him!
Thacker, well it does seem very odd to me that we are demanding heads to roll at Leicester with 3 wins and 18 points and Thacker's team (formerly known as Bristol) are on exactly the same, were brilliant against 14 men, Thacker is a world beater and Lam is the best coach since Iveco brought out the Eurorider.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:21 pm Kwagga Smith looking for a Prem club, according to Fissler.

Also talks with Manu have begun Tigers hoping to know what is happening by Christmas.
Could be Toomua's replacement in the cap. Would love him, he's like Croft in his prime.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

BFG wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:56 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:40 pm

I agree with you in the main.
Slater going is the biggest disappointment for me but who was to know that his injury troubles were behind him!
Thacker, well it does seem very odd to me that we are demanding heads to roll at Leicester with 3 wins and 18 points and Thacker's team (formerly known as Bristol) are on exactly the same, were brilliant against 14 men, Thacker is a world beater and Lam is the best coach since Iveco brought out the Eurorider.
Not saying Thacker is the best hooker in the league. But think Thacker, Youngs and McGuigan is a better group of hookers than what we have now. Both Thacker and McGuigan have gone to their respective clubs and performed to their potential. Neither really picked by MOC.
Louis

Post by Louis »

I'm not saying it's influential in our continuing demise, but for my money, we should have never let Thacker go. Many great players have come and gone, but (despite his size?) I think Thacker brings something a bit different.

Would Tigers be a different team with him in it? Doubtful. But against tired legs, with powerful props (Cole, Genge) and an engine room to match some compensation could have been made. Okay, the size/bind issues won't entirely vanish, but Youngs is not the tallest lad (shorter even than me, and I'm an Old School ex-prop. Not one of today's behemoths).

I've always had a soft spot for a talented hooker (steady!). Schalk Britz, Tom Youngs (whose breaks make my day, when they come), and Thacker have something....else. I can't quite define it. Not just the bosh and slosh of the front row, love that though I do, but decent hands and feet.

I'm now thinking of another front row (ex-hooker), Bateman, slicing through surprised opposition to score.

Give me "fatties" than can move as well as shove.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Thing is Thacker didn’t want to be the guy who comes on against the tired legs, he wanted to start.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:51 am Thing is Thacker didn’t want to be the guy who comes on against the tired legs, he wanted to start.
Also didn't Bristol offer him more money than we were prepared to? I'm sure I saw that somewhere. Or maybe it was speculation. If anyone would know I imagine it would be you Raging Bull.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:22 am
Also didn't Bristol offer him more money than we were prepared to? I'm sure I saw that somewhere. Or maybe it was speculation. If anyone would know I imagine it would be you Raging Bull.
That was the general knowledge.
The biggest thing for me though is that there were and have been better players who could've gone into the academy etc, but having the link he got the opportunity instead.
Even having early issues with knees was accepted which in my opinion would've discounted anyone else from gaining an opportunity.
Then a lack of patience and more money and he is off, no commitment from the player despite everything done for him.
Anyway no matter, from what I hear some of the Briz think he is a bit of a poacher for the spotlight.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:21 pm Kwagga Smith looking for a Prem club, according to Fissler.

If anywhere doesn't need investment, it's the back row.

Front 5 please.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

We struggled in the scrum against good opposition when Thacker played. For me he was a 7 not a 2.
I also think the 'we shouldn't have let them go' brigade
A ignore the ones let go who disappeared without trace
B ignore the fans opinion of the player at their new club
C repeat the same mantra whoever.......despite some players like Hurrell saying they had to have that happen to alter their mindset
D pretend players are wonderful at their new clubs e.g. Odugwu

IMO Slater was unforgivable and he and Fred were treated badly yet reacted with grace. TTTE was not idolised at Chiefs, seen as workshy poacher at first. BUT Tiger's have been more right than wrong.
Goneva is a special case, just a brilliant player we should have retained.
So on my count 3. The number shed correctly? 100?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TTRITH wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:02 am

Front 5 please.
Personally disagree, lock does need the most investment.
But the back row has look way to slow against quicker teams, we seem to lack a attacking back rower for balance.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:08 am

Front 5 please.
But the back row has look way to slow against quicker teams, we seem to lack a attacking back rower for balance.
I'd argue we've got one, we just don't select him. Although injuries may have hampered that.
Richard Burnett
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TTRITH wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:14 am

Front 5 please.
I'd argue we've got one, we just don't select him. Although injuries may have hampered that.
:smt017 Evans?
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:23 am
TTRITH wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:14 am

:smt017 Evans?
Yep. His debut against Gloucester where he chewed out Kvesic when he was in a good run of form springs to mind. Having him and Denton as the two flankers would be an excellent combination in my mind.

But of course, Evans is out of contract this season, doesn't seem to even be close to forcing O'Connor out so maybe another flanker is required.
Richard Burnett