Bristol v Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Bristol v Tigers

Post by RagingBull »

Lancaster has done well at Leinster but the youth was already coming up before he joined them and he had a team with players like Sexton leading it, he also has a strong coach in Cullen next to him.
His whole rebuilding the pride in England stuff after 2011 was nothing more than empty words given how badly that team choked in 2015.
Would have him as head of development nothing more.

Even then I would rather we got John Fletcher in to be head of that.
nasher

Post by nasher »

I have follows tigers since 1959 but I have now given up, I no longer watch or listen to games. Until the BoD adopt the attitude of creating and maintaining a winning rugby team the side will continue to regress. The board might as well become hotieliersand restaurateurs, chef and serving staff cost much less than overpaid rugby players and have pride in the job unlike the lot we employ.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:04 pm Lancaster has done well at Leinster but the youth was already coming up before he joined them and he had a team with players like Sexton leading it, he also has a strong coach in Cullen next to him.
His whole rebuilding the pride in England stuff after 2011 was nothing more than empty words given how badly that team choked in 2015.

Taking that on board, who would you want to come in. Seeing the other thread, Venter to come in on top of the pile and replace Ged, but would you keep the current coaches?
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I think a huge problem in the modern era is NOT having an owner with a strong mind because then there would be no one like Cohen, Glyn etch making decisions that are having a negative impact on the playing side. I remember Cockerill having a strong argument with some at the club about putting the coaching structure and playing structure first before plans for car parks and hotels: he was ignored and tried to do too much himself.
An owner would demand results on and off the pitch.
There must be someone out there who wants to rescue us! PLEASE.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TTRITH wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:18 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:04 pm Lancaster has done well at Leinster but the youth was already coming up before he joined them and he had a team with players like Sexton leading it, he also has a strong coach in Cullen next to him.

Taking that on board, who would you want to come in. Seeing the other thread, Venter to come in on top of the pile and replace Ged, but would you keep the current coaches?
In a realistic world I would really only keep Murphy and Stanko.
Dream world
Robertson- DOR/Forwards Coach
Plumtree- Head Coach/Defence Coach
Vesty - Backs Coach
Stanko - Scrum Coach
Newby - Breakdown Coach
John Fletcher - Head of development

People out of contract I wouldn't mind.
Head of rugby operations - Ben Ryan
Director of Rugby/Defence coach - Venter
Head Coach/Back coach - Murphy
Forwards Coach - Mckee
Scrum Coach - Stank
Last edited by RagingBull on Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I am just waiting for the usual bucket load of excuses to come pouring out.

Eastmond got sent off, for lack of self control, but is that actually a sound excuse for getting such a battering from such a struggling club? No, it just doesn't wash. What it does show though, is just how awful we really are, and I point the finger firmly at the board, who seem to be totally clueless, as to the fact that we need, and have needed a world class coach , since the departure of "Cockers".

I have said before that we have too many squares in a round hole, within the squad. Poor G.M. got lumbered with a total mess when given the job of head coach, a post he really was not cut out for.

Something that is missing is pride, which some posters have knocked, but of course they are entitled to their own view. No pride, no passion, no in depth quality, no direction, and no cohesion. We are looking like a dying duck, even with our internationals back..

Until we get a world class coach, we shall struggle. The signs have been there for all to see for a few seasons now, but appear to have been ignored.

Come the end of the season, after another failed year, hopefully the board will get it's act together, and comprehend the fact we need an injection some common sense, by bringing in someone who can sort out the mess we find ourselves experiencing.

I shall probably get lambasted for this post, but that never bothers me. I speak as I find, even though it hurts to be realistic., and I shall always remain an avid Tigers fan.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

I'm happy that I went to the football instead!

The big difference between the teams can be seen in a single stat as the rest of the stats are fairly close.
Meters run with the ball:
Bristol: 805m Leicester: 403m Despite us have 13 more runs than Bristol.

Why did we let Thacker leave? You don't need size to be good if you have speed or agility, more than one way to beat defenders.

Shout out to Will Spencer who carried for 73 metres! That's huge for a forward.
Yorkietiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkietiger »

Dangerous4 no lambasting from me, just total agreement. After more years than I care to remember my season ticket is for the bin at the end of this season. There are many other things I could do with £400 other than watching the dross we have been served up of late.

If enough people follow suit, then our board who spend all their time focussed on the commercial side of things, will get the commercial consequences of a fall in revenue. That just might get their attention and something may get done. :smt013
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Baz wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:58 pm by TTRITH » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:52 pm
Stuart Lancaster (Head), John Wells (Forwards), Mike Catt (Backs, Attacking), Joe Worsley (Defense) are all out of contract end of Season....

You make a lot of sense. Too much, I suspect, for the board!
We couldn't afford that lot, ours must be on about 1/4 their salaries.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Spicer wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:56 pm I'm happy that I went to the football instead!

The big difference between the teams can be seen in a single stat as the rest of the stats are fairly close.

Why did we let Thacker leave? You don't need size to be good if you have speed or agility, more than one way to beat defenders.

Well he is playing in the front row for starters.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

People can't lose perspective of the entire situation.
Yes today was another day like many others but it was also very much about a sending off.
We have a group of coaches who have to date experienced a career of turmoil, going from one coaching colleague to another, one type of player to another type of player, one style of play to another style of play etc.
Bristol have a style of play that they are developing, CONTINUITY, whether it's the right way or not, or even in the debate of are the players actually good enough Tigers simply haven't had any level of stability to know anything for sure, in fact it has been quite pathetic.
I look at the blend of players and think that finding that way of playing is looking very difficult to achieve.
Like any coach these coaches need some luck, Leicester is not best placed for these coaches to make any of their own luck presently.
We all know a bit about rugby, does anyone really believe that they could get more out of that squad presently!
Last edited by BFG on Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

LE18 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:00 pm
Stuart Lancaster (Head), John Wells (Forwards), Mike Catt (Backs, Attacking), Joe Worsley (Defense) are all out of contract end of Season....

Actually, thinking on it, what you need is a coach with track record of joining a capable but under performing team in the middle of a season of turmoil and taking them to the final of their competition. Must be a very short list. Wasn't there a bloke that managed that at Toulon. Can't recall the name.....
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:01 pm
Spicer wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:56 pm I'm happy that I went to the football instead!

Well he is playing in the front row for starters.
Well today he made more tackles than Genge, Kerr, TPN, Gigena & Cortes combined and made more metres than all of our front rowers combined. He suits Bristol's style no doubt. Great in general play, meh in the scrum. Everything is a compromise.
newport tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by newport tiger »

Unfortunately i was in attendance for the latest debacle in what has to be the worst season in living memory. In so many of our games we seem to huff & puff going through multiple phases in order to gain ten metres only to cough the ball up and watch one man scythe through our defence with very little effort. Our offloading is non existent as players go into contact with no support and concede penalty after penalty, they seem to lack any gameplan or ability to play what is in front of them. I honestly expected a big change this week with the internationals back and the return of Genge giving everyone at the club a huge lift, but we were second best in every area to a well drilled Bristol team.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

kend wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:17 pm
LE18 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:00 pm

Actually, thinking on it, what you need is a coach with track record of joining a capable but under performing team in the middle of a season of turmoil and taking them to the final of their competition. Must be a very short list. Wasn't there a bloke that managed that at Toulon. Can't recall the name.....
You're spot on kend, Cockers strips it all back to the very basics and that's what he is so good at.
Leicester tried to add to it and forgot the basics, got carried away with too much too soon.
Watching Thacker today he fits a style of play that Bristol were developing in the Championship, whether it's good enough to win titles is another question as I suspect teams like Sarries and Exeter will have too much in other areas, but it's certainly enough to take advantage of an unsettled Tigers today.