Bristol v Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Bristol v Tigers

Post by jgriffin »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:56 pm Cockers is just as much at fault as the board.
He had no balance to the squad, Spending how much money on a 3rd choice TH when Balmain could've filled it.
If he wasn't so stubborn on the forwards only plan we wouldn't have needed to try and get Mauger.

Cockers is a great coach but he was way to set in his ways the move has helped him understand that IMO.
The quote I got in 2013 was that once the current 2012 players went Tiger's would decline as they hadn't had a decent coach for backs and defence and Cockers needed that. He said that was his fault, as you are right to say, but the money to get the best wasn't there.
Predicted by professionals, came true.
BTW Big Dai I was told a major issue with some influential players was the 'beast' sessions and attitude of Cockers in demanding such, contrary to MJs attitude which was the same as Cockers.
Last edited by jgriffin on Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
DevonTiger

Post by DevonTiger »

Today I visited The Natural History museum and saw the same as the hardy fans that’d travelled to Bristol. Stuffed Tigers!! A number of things come to light, firstly has it been worth the churn of 4 head coaches since Cockers? There is no defensive structure hence why even going down to 14 like all the “top” clubs do we seem to enjoy to ship plenty of points. So a hooker who isn’t “big” enough for some at the club and posters on here has scored 5 tries in 2 games. Other than Johnny May who at the club is capable of scoring 5 tries in a season?? This nepotism is/has brought the club to this juncture. Unfortunately as it pains me to say I can’t see Tigers winning the premiership again for quite a while whilst this continues. I am having to endure the wife’s glee at how well the chiefs have progressed since their arrival in the Premiership and our demise. One of the posters on here on Friday was so confident that Tigers would win this game. Had they watched any of Bristol’s games this season? They aren’t the outfit that went down the other season
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

reckon I must be lucky. been away with no phone and no wifi access so I missed it. I really am depressed for the rest of the season
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Having been a supporter all of my life, (since 1968), I can't remember the time when I did not anticipate a victory, every next game. (Irrespective of the previous result). Of course, it never worked like that, but now, I anticipate a defeat every next match. That is sad. Take that to the next Board meeting.
:smt022 :smt022
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I have just got home after a day looking at rooms to rent for my Son in Guildford. Family first today but I was miffed having to miss Tigers at Bristol. Fully expecting us to come back with a bang. As of yet I haven't seen anything but I was amazed and disgusted when I saw the result. Pinched myself! It makes no difference!
I have been optimistic and patient up to now, with so many absentees through injury and call-ups but this has really rocked me.

What it proves is that putting a rookie coach in charge was a huge gamble.
The affection most of us feel for him is understandable but this is now a disaster.

Why is it that a club like Tigers, widely regarded as the best, most prestigious club in the NH can not recruit a world class director of rugby? You would expect the worlds best coaches would be queuing up with their CVs.
Why is it that our best ever captain resists all attempts to recruit him?
What is it? Who is it?
A life long Tiger
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Smudge wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:19 pm Why is it that a club like Tigers, widely regarded as the best, most prestigious club in the NH can not recruit a world class director of rugby? You would expect the worlds best coaches would be queuing up with their CVs.
Martin was put off rugby after the RFU handling, and I have a feeling the Tigers job would be a poisoned chalice for him.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

This game was always going to be a difficult one and the Eastmond sending off did not really help. Up until then it was quite close.....not a good result.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

Be honest - right now would you feel even slightly confident of beating ANY other team in the Premiership?? I know I wouldnt :smt009
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TTRITH wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:52 pm Stuart Lancaster (Head), John Wells (Forwards), Mike Catt (Backs, Attacking), Joe Worsley (Defense) are all out of contract end of Season....
What success has Lancaster ever had at head coach?
Decent coach yes, Decent head coach no.
20yearsatiger
Tiger Cub

Post by 20yearsatiger »

Nope
I have a ticket for the Racing game in 2 weeks. Not sure I can face it, and I’ve never felt like that
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

So I get slagged off by all the Former Happy Clappers---------------------------------still Happy Clapping after that embarrassing ,abject ,woeful and in some cases, alluded to by Steve Johnson on Radio, gutless performance .....??????
Baz

Post by Baz »

Why is it that our best ever captain resists all attempts to recruit him? Presumably MJ? He was a great leader, but he would be the first to admit that he is no coach.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

fortysix wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:44 pm So I get slagged off by all the Former Happy Clappers---------------------------------still Happy Clapping after that embarrassing ,abject ,woeful and in some cases, alluded to by Steve Johnson on Radio, gutless performance .....??????
My clap has long since ceased to be happy and I'm now at home to Dwayne Dibley and the depression squid.
However Mr Johnson could turn the most evangelical to suicide!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:37 pm
TTRITH wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:52 pm Stuart Lancaster (Head), John Wells (Forwards), Mike Catt (Backs, Attacking), Joe Worsley (Defense) are all out of contract end of Season....
What success has Lancaster ever had at head coach?
Decent coach yes, Decent head coach no.
What we need more than anything is a re-emphasis on where the club is going, rebuilding the sense of pride in the shirt, having two strong XVs but then faith in using the youth when needed. I genuinely cannot think of anyone who would be better suited to doing just that.

In that scenerio I'd be happy, more than happy, for Geordan to stay as DoR. I don't think he's a coach, but I could see him having a successful career in the mould of Deano. Not hands on in coaching, but organises all other aspects.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

Smudge wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:19 pm Why is it that a club like Tigers, widely regarded as the best, most prestigious club in the NH can not recruit a world class director of rugby? You would expect the worlds best coaches would be queuing up with their CVs.
What is it? Who is it?
Well part of the issue might be we are on our 4th head coach in 2 years or so. Also Cockerill was either a finalist or semi-finalist in his years in charge and that wasn't good enough. So 'poisoned chalice' is probably right, unless you were granted unlimited resources. Even then, as Toulon show, it takes time to create a team no matter how good the individuals or how qualified the coach.

We sacked the head coach 1 week into the season so it is yet another period of turmoil. Unless the head coach/DoR is a magician, they can't put right the failings of a number of seasons overnight.

They were down to 14 for most of the game, and in a crucial position. It's a very good team that could survive that and win.