Bristol v Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Bristol v Tigers

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

All my Bristol supporting pals (including Flashman Snr) are really excited about this game. They see it as a game that they can and will win. Their confidence is that we look so weak in defence and they love to run the ball in broken play, will expose us. We need to smash them up front and keep the ball away from them. Go old school and grind them down. Could do without my Father mocking me for the next 3 months...
There is never any points for 2nd place...
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Would be very unusual for a player who has been out as long as Genge has come straight back into a starting 15. I suspect it’s much more likely he’ll start on the bench and have 15 mins at the end. If all goes well, maybe 25mins from the bench in Paris, and the starting 15 when Racing come to WR on 16th December.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Tom Youngs definitely out of Saturday's game at Bristol Bears and could be on the sidelines for a "few weeks" according to Geordan Murphy.

"Tom took a bang on the knee and went to see a surgeon today (Wednesday) to see if he needs a clean up," Murphy said.

"He has a bit of medial damage and will be out for a few weeks but just how bad it is I don't know yet. It doesn't seem to rain but it pours.

"We get a couple of guys back and couple get injured. It has been that way this season but we will just have to roll with it. We have got Tatafu Polota-Nau back and Jake Kerr has been doing a really good job at hooker so we will see how we go."

Back-rowers Guy Thompson and David Denton remain out of the picture for Saturday's game, and Murphy said full-back George Worth was also a doubt. He is working his way through concussion protocols after taking a bang to the head against Saracens.

Ellis Genge should feature!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Since Denton and Thompson are out I'll amend my team

1. Bateman
2. TPN
3. Cole
4. Spencer
5. Kitchener
6. Williams
7. O'Connor
8. Kalamafoni
9. Youngs
10. G Ford
11. May
12. Toomua
13. Tuilagi
14. Thompstone
15. Holmes

Replacements: 16. Kerr, 17. Genge, 18. Cortes, 19. Wells, 20. Reffell, 21. Harrison, 22. Hardwick, 23. Eastmond
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Spicer wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:57 pm Since Denton and Thompson are out I'll amend my team

1. Bateman
2. TPN
3. Cole
4. Spencer
5. Kitchener
6. Williams
7. O'Connor
8. Kalamafoni
9. Youngs
10. G Ford
11. May
12. Toomua
13. Tuilagi
14. Thompstone
15. Holmes

Replacements: 16. Kerr, 17. Genge, 18. Cortes, 19. Wells, 20. Reffell, 21. Harrison, 22. Hardwick, 23. Eastmond
That's spot on for me. It's a shame Thompson is out, he's been great for us so far. To be brutally honest, the absence of Tom Youngs might be a blessing in disguise as TPN is arguably a better player and Kerr looks a very good prospect.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Spicer wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:57 pm Since Denton and Thompson are out I'll amend my team

1. Bateman
2. TPN
3. Cole
4. Spencer
5. Kitchener
6. Williams
7. O'Connor
8. Kalamafoni
9. Youngs
10. G Ford
11. May
12. Toomua
13. Tuilagi
14. Thompstone
15. Holmes

I don’t understand why everyone is so quick to get Toomua back in the starting lineup over Eastmond, he’s barely trained with the squad, doesn’t play particularly well with Ford and every game he’s played for Australia has been pretty average at best. I think everyone is putting a lot on 6 great games he played during the 6 nations last year. As were for the last 3 week Eastmonds has been 1 of our few good players, playing pretty much 10 and 12 in attack due to how deep j Ford plays, without having drawn any players in in the forwards as our only runner has been Kalamafoni, and having to defend 10, 12 and help with 13 due to Owen positional struggles. On top of that his history with G Ford that seems to bring the best out of him, and his ability to play flat to the line to allow weak shoulder for Manu. Surely after 3 weeks with our 3rd choice 10 and an out of position Owen he deserves to start with the 1st choice back line.
Outside of that I’d swap Wells and Kitchener, as Spencer is a lineout caller, and Wells is better in the breakdown and carrier. I think that’s the best team we can currently put out.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

15. Jonah Holmes
14. Adam Thompstone
13. Manu Tuilagi
12. Kyle Eastmond
11. Jonny May
10. George Ford
9. Ben Youngs
1. Greg Bateman
2. Jake Kerr
3. Dan Cole
4. Will Spencer
5. Harry Wells
6. Mike Williams
7. Brendan O'Connor (c)
8. Sione Kalamafoni

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. Ellis Genge
18. Joe Heyes
19. Graham Kitchener
20. Tommy Reffell
21. Ben White
22. Matt Toomua
23. Matt Smith
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

The only opinion I’ll add is Kerr deserves to start.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Not sure about picking Genge - he might get on the bus back to Bristol. :smt002
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Totally agree that Kyle Eastmond should start as a huge worry for Tigers is the lack of continuity in the backs which could be costly against a fired up, well oiled Bristol back line. This game is massive- win and confidence will be high. Lose, however, and the Quins game becomes far more important than Racing! Exciting but worrying times for Tigers.
The bench could look impressive: Genge, Tomua, Kerr( though I’d start with him)!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I can see Kerr starting imo.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

G.K wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:36 pm Not sure about picking Genge - he might get on the bus back to Bristol. :smt002
Won't he already be in Bristol if he's selected? Why would he need to get back on a bus to Bristol? :smt017
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

JP14 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:56 am I can see Kerr starting imo.
Let’s hope so, he deserves it! Would be a strong bench with the likes of Genge, TPN and Toomua ready to come off and switch things up.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I wouldn't start Kerr, maybe he deserves credit but I'm not sure a start.
He has been alright, good throwing and a lot of effort but this is a big ask.
Leicester need to go and win the game with no messing about and it's a must win game for me.
If Bristol get a sniff it'll be very difficult to keep them off it at home in my opinion.
Bristol's mauling looked pretty strong against Wasps and Thacker walked in two tries off the back of it, I'd definitely have TPN's muscle amongst it and balance it out in attack with Genge, if he is fit and ready to play then play him.
I'd definitely start Wells also to balance things out, he has shown more intensity recently and an all round workrate higher than others and away at Bristol intensity will be important.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Leicester Tigers (v Bristol Bears, away, Saturday 1.00pm)

15 Jonah Holmes
14 Adam Thompstone
13 Manu Tuilagi
12 Kyle Eastmond
11 Jonny May
10 George Ford (c)
9 Ben Youngs

1 Ellis Genge
2 Jake Kerr
3 Dan Cole
4 Will Spencer
5 Graham Kitchener
6 Mike Williams
7 Brendon O’Connor
8 Sione Kalamafoni

Replacements

16 Tatafu Polota-Nau
17 Facundo Gigena
18 Gaston Cortes
19 Harry Wells
20 Mike Fitzgerald
21 Ben White
22 Matt Toomua
23 Matt Smith
Last edited by strawclearer on Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives