Tigers vs Saracens

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Saracens

Post by sam16111986 »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:29 pm Still no actualite. Who should go, who will be the replacements? Otherwise it will be the golden horizons of Brexit.
Remember, most of us believe a proper defence coach and a consultant are needed.
Glynn I get, but the Cohen hobbyhorse mskes no sense. How has his coaching affected the team? It's the BoD that collectively bear's the blame.
I personally think we need an experienced DOR to help Murphy so he can concentrate on rebuilding the team on the pitch. Agree wholeheartedly about the need for an experienced defence coach.

Currently too much is on Murphy's shoulders with little in the way of guidance.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

We need players that are prepared to scrap for every mm.
Look at the commitment in Thompson, it is hugely noticeable already, BOC is no slouch either, they have the same coaches here as everyone else and they do alright.
We don't need players who don't do the basics properly because it's viewed as donkey work or big heads with small brains and big mouths.
Brad Barritt will risk breaking his face to stop a try, I have massive respect for what Sarries players are prepared to give to win.
They are much weakened but already we are concerned at their depth.
Coaches will come and go here until player recruitment is done much better overall.
Murphy and Co have shown faith in players and that should give them every confidence to go out and give 100%.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I agree BFG, more than the coaches it's been player recruitment that's been the problem.

You only have to look at Sarries probable team for Sunday (taking into account all their missing players) and compare it to ours to see the difference, sadly.
Soggypitch
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I think it’s sad we are praying and hoping for a losing bonus point at home. 5 or 6 years ago I would never have dreamed of that. However, things evolve. We are not the kings of the English rugby world and that is the way it is for all sport. No one dominates forever (well maybe the All blacks). It’s time we realised this, not just accept it and try and evolve. If that means a different style of play that wins then fine, Exeter being a prime example. Not a joy to watch but effective. I am always optimistic about us and we may surprise them. I guess it’s a case of, as a poster used to say, keep the faith and let’s hope we evolve and catch up.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:00 pm
jgriffin wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:29 pm Still no actualite. Who should go, who will be the replacements? Otherwise it will be the golden horizons of Brexit.
Remember, most of us believe a proper defence coach and a consultant are needed.
Glynn I get, but the Cohen hobbyhorse mskes no sense. How has his coaching affected the team? It's the BoD that collectively bear's the blame.
I personally think we need an experienced DOR to help Murphy so he can concentrate on rebuilding the team on the pitch. Agree wholeheartedly about the need for an experienced defence coach.

Currently too much is on Murphy's shoulders with little in the way of guidance.
Sadly, I'm beginning to doubt just how good a coach Geordan is. He was the Skills coach, during which he oversaw our general skill set drop. Now, as attack coach, we are still toothless, still failing to back ourselves ball in hand...

He has however, according to various posters, Twitters and blogs, vastly improved the morale behind the scenes. Perhaps he would be more suited to a DoR role, with an experienced Head Coach (Lancaster anyone?) and a proper and professional coaching set up. Bakewell had an inital impact, and there are glimpses of an improved defense from Brett, but I would allow Lancaster to build his coaching set up, with agreement from Geordan.

Whether Geordan would allow that, and whether the Board move on Glynn; is probably less likely than us getting a try bonus point win on Sunday.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
BlindTiger

Post by BlindTiger »

Anyone else feel that a fresh approach next season is needed.
Whilst I have the utmost respect of people showing loyalty to the club it creates a mates culture especially player to head coach.
Experienced DOR, a forwards coach with the right work ethic for the club and an exciting backs coach who will get the talent playing! The Leicester way doesn’t work anymore look at how every other club has evolved. We evolved for a bit under Mauger but we all know what happened there...

Here’s my suggestion:
Stuart Lancaster DoR
Paul O’Connell For
Alex King Backs
Joe Worsley Def
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:00 am We are not the kings of the English rugby world and that is the way it is for all sport. It’s time we realised this, not just accept it and try and evolve.
Sorry, I carved your post up a bit but I think these extracted statements sum it up.

Two things though:

#1 Whilst I think many of us have accepted and moved on there are still a lot who haven't and are sad or angry about where we are.

#2 An evolution has risks and takes some faith and some time. We are never going to find out if Murphy is up to the job or if our youngsters are winners, if we can't take a few bad performances and results.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Having a fresh face DOR and coaches won't change anything till a change of attitude at the top.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:22 pm Having a fresh face DOR and coaches won't change anything till a change of attitude at the top.
It might.

But only if the a new DoR takes on the responsibilities of Ged in terms of making signings for the first team (surely a DoR and Head Coach working together, with clear and defined responsibilities is better than a Head of Rugby Operations and Head Coach, and disagreements handled by the board).

I think thats the best change we can go hope for. Mr Cohen won't be going anywhere whilst the hotel and car park is being built, and recieving a record amount in sponsorship, and I can't see Peter Tom releasing his grip on the club anytime soon. We'll go on a poor run until Xmas, board will decide to bring in another Head Coach after the signings for next season have been made, and we'll be stuck in this loop until someone realises the futility of it all. Or the board get lucky.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Holmes isn't in the Wales squad.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Spicer wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:43 pm Holmes isn't in the Wales squad.
Good because we badly need him at 15 on Sunday!!

Don't see why May can't play two days running, needs to show more commitment!! :smt002
Soggypitch
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

And Evans who was diabolically greedy and inefficient, remains, yet Holmes, who was efficient, worked well with Williams and covered Evans' errors, isn't.
Looks more like a one-cap stitch-up than anything now, as suspected.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:49 pm
And Evans who was diabolically greedy and inefficient, remains, yet Holmes, who was efficient, worked well with Williams and covered Evans' errors, isn't.
Looks more like a one-cap stitch-up than anything now, as suspected.
Give him a cap and stop him being selected by England at a later date
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

ourla wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:07 pm
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:00 am We are not the kings of the English rugby world and that is the way it is for all sport. It’s time we realised this, not just accept it and try and evolve.
Sorry, I carved your post up a bit but I think these extracted statements sum it up.

Two things though:

#1 Whilst I think many of us have accepted and moved on there are still a lot who haven't and are sad or angry about where we are.

#2 An evolution has risks and takes some faith and some time. We are never going to find out if Murphy is up to the job or if our youngsters are winners, if we can't take a few bad performances and results.
To be fair ourla, you carved it up like a Christmas turkey and made it seem more logical and concise, so thank you.

I guess we need to evolve and take the rough with the smooth. Long way to the top but if we stagnate, we are not looking good.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

fortysix wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:04 am JGriffin hi
No I am not negative, just completely rational and observant.

Personally , how is that other Clubs seem to select some Johnny foreigner who immediately instals into their system a playing structure, and who also seems to have the players to follow it through.

Our purchasing has been , in the main, a literal disaster. Either a top salaried chappie with International get out clauses, or a succession of journeymen who have not got the legendary Tigers fire in their hearts. Here I will state there are some massive exceptions, Genge for one who IMO will walk back into the England team. His lap around Welford road when we blew Newcastle said it all for me. He will always be remembered as a modern player who would have shone in the halycon days.

There are others who measure up , but far too many that dont.

As for the Board , there are two who surely must disappear in Cohen and Glynn. You cannot oversee such an incredible decline and still be respected. Or maybe in 2018, you can ?!!

As for Geordie, he is an incredible servant to us. No question. But personally I believe he needs a experienced DOR like, ummm, Venter or similar, and some new Coaches , tied in with the new DOR.

Stanko seems to certainly doing his job scrummaging wise, but the rest of the forwards, oh dearie me....

Of course when Genge returns, maybe as last year, his inspirational play will cover over all the cracks, and we will enter 2019/2020 in just the same place..............

To me this is mirroring the Brexit Shambles
I think you’re delusional, luckily the BoD only listen to a majority. Well one would hope.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni