Clubs that cheat.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Clubs that cheat.

Post by Smudge »

Following on from the accusations about two of the high spending clubs in the EPL is
it likely that they will do the same as we did in rugby and choose not to shine the torch into the darker corners?

Comments on other threads about certain clubs with great strength in depth during AIs brings this to mind (yet again).
Are we really on a level playing field?
A life long Tiger
ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Clubs that cheat.

Post by ourla »

Not this old one.

Look, if the authorities aren't policing the cap then we need to break it aswell.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

ourla wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:03 pm Not this old one.

Look, if the authorities aren't policing the cap then we need to break it aswell.
So how much bigger "loss" are we likely to make and where is the money coming from ?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

LE18 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:17 pm

So how much bigger "loss" are we likely to make and where is the money coming from ?
The hotel! :smt023
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

LE18 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:17 pm

We have £2.2m cash in the bank.

And allegedly we can increase season ticket prices by £20 and everyone will happily pay it.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Wow! What a "great" sense of morality you have.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Assuming the budget is there!
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Does anyone really believe that Saffacens are really funding that huge squad and staying within the cap?
A life long Tiger
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

I’ve spoken to numerous players about this at club events & none of them believe the figures from Barnet add up.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Granby wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:18 pm I’ve spoken to numerous players about this at club events & none of them believe the figures from Barnet add up.
To be honest I sometimes watch and can't believe that our figures add up to more than half the cap!
It's like my local convenience store, understocked and overpriced!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Smudge wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:52 pm Does anyone really believe that Saffacens are really funding that huge squad and staying within the cap?
It does seem unlikely that they are doing everything properly. However, I understand they do it by paying family members to "work" at the club in various roles and pay them. Therefore, the actual salary cap is probably stuck to. Then I wonder how, if this is true, no players who Sarries have tried to sign by explaining this is the way they will be paid, have not reported them.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

BFG wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:06 am
Granby wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:18 pm I’ve spoken to numerous players about this at club events & none of them believe the figures from Barnet add up.
To be honest I sometimes watch and can't believe that our figures add up to more than half the cap!
It's like my local convenience store, understocked and overpriced!
We’re always told that we spend up to the cap, however, if that is the case then there are some players who are on massively inflated wages.

Keep in mind that we’ll have financial incentives for players who have come through the academy like Cole, Youngs etc. Therefore I struggle to see where all our money goes on.
Maybe the rumours of Cilliers being on £300k were true and there are other equally high paid players in the squad still.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

ellis9 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:10 pm

Wow! What a "great" sense of morality you have.
It's hardly the crime of the century is it. No women or children will be harmed. We won't be polluting the planet.

Listen, I'd much rather the rules were adhered to and properly policed. But by now clubs must surely know whether that is happening or not. And if it isn't and you can't or choose not to do something about it, then you may aswell do the same. And indeed, that is why I find the discussion so pointless.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I guess the truth is that there are only a handful of clubs that are in a fiscal position to breach the cap. The clubs themselves know which others are breeching the cap but as the last Premiership Rugby investigation proved none are willing to rock the boat over the issue for fear over potential legal challenges.
Last edited by sapajo on Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

You also have to factor in winning.

It would cost us more to have Farrell and Itoje than their current salaries.