Premiership Rugby Cup - Tigers vs Worcester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Premiership Rugby Cup - Tigers vs Worcester

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:53 am Poor technique from Fred and great technique from Hill.
Yes and if this competition is about learning then something was learned, but hang him out on here on one decent tackle, I don't think so!!!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Personally I thought Fred was one of our better players on the day, if a few others had shown his commitment to the cause the result might have been different.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:51 am Personally I thought Fred was one of our better players on the day, if a few others had shown his commitment to the cause the result might have been different.
👍+1
As Good As It Gets
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

BFG wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:58 am
RagingBull wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:53 am Poor technique from Fred and great technique from Hill.
Yes and if this competition is about learning then something was learned, but hang him out on here on one decent tackle, I don't think so!!!
I’m not hanging him out becuase of that one tackle every run he does he fails to make yards, he either needs to work on that or up his work rate around the park to bring more all round game to it.

No one is questioning his heart just his ability for me same goes with C.Thacker when I have seen him play he gives his all.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I thought Heyes had an ok game. He is as already pointed out youg for A prop and will develop strength and technique over the next few years. I don’t think he is too big for a tight head but he is a big lump and could become very good if he keeps improving.
Tuilagi does not have the power of his uncles or his father at that age, whether he will develop is more up for debate for me.
Worth has not improved in fact I think he has gone back since last year. He was exposed for pace.
Hardwick looks handy and I would like to see more of him.
Kerr seems like he may have something about him but needs to develop bulk and power.
It is these youngsters who we are interested in, we know what the rest can and can’t do.
It seems some aren’t up to much and could be dispensed and others need further development. Either way we will only find out by playing them in these games. Results are less important in this competition albeit that it would be obviously better if they were developing in a winning team
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:09 pm
BFG wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:58 am
I’m not hanging him out becuase of that one tackle every run he does he fails to make yards, he either needs to work on that or up his work rate around the park to bring more all round game to it.

No one is questioning his heart just his ability for me same goes with C.Thacker when I have seen him play he gives his all.
I meant the video trying to stir it up but as you seem game.
It's a few seconds of an entire match.
It's a fluid situation and that's development, players are only as good as their last and next game, and on the evidence of Saturday Fred is ahead of most others because he was better than them so if he is to be picked on then we may as well pick on them all!
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

At least Fred Tuilagi tried and he has improved since his earlier A league games and this is what the competition is about "A pathway for young players!"
However Worcester decided discard the spirit of the competition and use their first team squad whilst their young players in blue track suits watched from the Crumbie stand. Worcester's 23 had over 1100 club appearances, England & squad caps, NZ, USA, Weir 27 caps and 8 South Africans with a total of 91 SA caps hardly representative of the catchment area. So much for player burnout and team building.
So in all yes Tigers players did not give their best performance by a long shot but this is the team I hope that will learn from the fixture and move forward. I was very disappointed by Holmes, Olowofela and Ford in their defence & failure to tackle legs as shown in the last Heem try.
Yes "Captain Birdseye" the Referee was blind to forward passes, offsides and high tackles but has to learn too. I really hope that Tigers do not get Adam Leal to Referee on Friday as he is going for Gold! with 3 yellows in Round 1 Worcs v Sale and 4 Yellows in Round2 Bristol v Gloucs.
Oh I hope Sale provide a balanced side on Friday in the spirit. :smt001
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I thought Tuilagi had his best game in a Tigers shirt, not his best performance but he gave his all and made his best yardage that I’ve seen from him. I posted the link to the tweet in jest because Mark62 and others are so critical of him which considering his size and lineage is understandable, I just think sometimes posters have been beyond critical. Yes it was poor technique, he should have just powered through but he will learn from that and I think confidence is a big factor too, when he puts in a big carry in it might give him the confidence to run at full tilt into contact.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:22 pm I thought Tuilagi had his best game in a Tigers shirt, not his best performance but he gave his all and made his best yardage that I’ve seen from him. I posted the link to the tweet in jest because Mark62 and others are so critical of him which considering his size and lineage is understandable, I just think sometimes posters have been beyond critical. Yes it was poor technique, he should have just powered through but he will learn from that and I think confidence is a big factor too, when he puts in a big carry in it might give him the confidence to run at full tilt into contact.
How can it be one and not the other?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:22 pm I thought Tuilagi had his best game in a Tigers shirt, not his best performance but he gave his all and made his best yardage that I’ve seen from him. I posted the link to the tweet in jest because Mark62 and others are so critical of him which considering his size and lineage is understandable, I just think sometimes posters have been beyond critical. Yes it was poor technique, he should have just powered through but he will learn from that and I think confidence is a big factor too, when he puts in a big carry in it might give him the confidence to run at full tilt into contact.
I agree with you JP14, I also thought that Fred had a good game, (everyone gets turned over like that once in a while), along with Hardwick, until he had to give up his position to Joe Ford, ugh! Fred seems to be a lot lighter now, how much weight has he shed? I was previously of the opinion that he was not good enough, but he has definitely improved and put up a good show against a quality backrow!
What has happened to Olewafola, has he lost his nerve? Holmes not playing to his previous potential, Worth not performing.
Smith has not much longer as a Tigers player, he is well past sell by date. Will be interesting to see Fridays team.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:16 pm
How can it be one and not the other?
I wondered that!

There are two sides to the coin, everyone knows what Fred T brings, he's a Tuilagi and he has been on the scene before, now everyone also knows what Ted Hill brings and next time he may well be stepped or something else, like given a sore head!
These new players break onto the scene and then everyone gets a look at them, then the most difficult part begins as they no longer have any surprises.
Anyway I thought Fred T had a better game than most but no-one (with an agenda) ever remembers the positive stuff do they, like a bit of pace shown for a big lad or awareness to offload or powering over from close range...
https://www.ruck.co.uk/watch-took-just- ... -singha7s/
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I meant best performance so far in a Tigers shirt but not his best performance.

Better?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I presume JP14 has seen him play better in either a Coventry, South Leicester or Leicester Lions shirt. Perhaps all 3?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

No I haven’t seen him, what I meant was, and I’m sure even you could understand what I meant, is that it was his best performance so far in a Tigers shirt but he’s capable of much more.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Good to hear that people who attended the match thought Freddie T did well and I hope he continues.

I know JP14 was having a little dig, and fair enough.
My issues with him are more historical as to why he is where he is now.
At the age of 17 he was a very fat, very unfit, not very good prop. Unless Cockerill could see into the future there is no way that he could have known how he would develop and the fact that in 4 years he would be what some people feel is a promising number 8.
It is fact that at that time some promising players lost academy contracts and he was given one on the basis of his surname. With his abilities at that time no one would have given a second thought had he not been a Tuilagi.
The 3 National leagues that he played for were mentioned. I have spoken to players that played with in those sides and he was not highly rated at all.
I hope he continues to improve but for me the highest level he will achieve is Championship.