Business question.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Business question.

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Not having any business aqumen or knowledge, would someone's be able to explain the difference between our turnover being 20.4 million but we have a pre tax loss of £991,000?
Does that mean we are running at a loss? Or a profit? And what is the difference?
I am at work on nights and fancy some bragging on my Bath mate.
Thanks in advance.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Business question.

Post by HantsTiger »

Running at a loss for nearly a million I think. Turnover is what we bought in however we appear to have paid more out!

I'm sure your friend will tell you that Brucie Baby would find that amount down the back of the sofa :smt002
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Brucie has to be careful because Mrs Bruce owns half......
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

HantsTiger wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:35 pm Running at a loss for nearly a million I think. Turnover is what we bought in however we appear to have paid more out!

I'm sure your friend will tell you that Brucie Baby would find that amount down the back of the sofa :smt002
Thanks. I didn't have a clue..oh and I have already set it in motion about his owner being a baby...
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

fortysix wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:37 pm Brucie has to be careful because Mrs Bruce owns half......
Ha ha....I will use that later...using the the phrase "the council owns half your ground"...
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Finance
In a challenging year for the club on and off the pitch, there have still been some notable performances in the company’s commercial activities. Our revenue for the year increased from £19.7million to a record £20.4million, however the operating loss grew to £991,000 from a loss of £686,000 in 2016/17. Sponsorship and Premiership Rugby income achieved record levels.

The whole report can be found - https://darkroom.leicestertigers.com/or ... -final.pdf
Hehehehehehehehe
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

As a fan, are there any benefits to owning Tigers shares? I.e. Any perks? I know it wouldn't be a good financial investment. I'm just thinking of as a token.

Second, is there any benefit to sponsoring a player?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Turnover is good for the ego but means little, profit is good for the business and in the long term is essential for a business to continue. A healthy business can manage a loss or two but a self sufficient sustainable business must at least break even over a period of time or be supported by cash injections.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

The combined losses over the past years is a stark reminder that running the club is getting tougher and tougher, without the backing of a sugar daddy:

2011/12 - £1.0m loss
2012/13 - £396k profit
2013/14 - £482k profit
2014/15 - £479k profit
2015/16 - £424k loss
2016/17 - £686k loss
2017/18 - £991 loss

Combined loss of £2.1m over the last 3 years.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I'd be happy to pay an extra £20 for my season ticket. If all season ticket holders paid an extra £20, that would give Tigers £280,540.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

ellis9 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:26 am I'd be happy to pay an extra £20 for my season ticket. If all season ticket holders paid an extra £20, that would give Tigers £280,540.
The bean counters should be able to roughly estimate an increase that would preserve sales. My guess is about 5%.
Beyond that we are at the mercy of behavioural factors as well as economic swings. My view is to sit tight while the latter resolves itself, as we may see unpredictable changes.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Income from ticket sales (the rugby income) only accounts for 26% of the total income:

Rugby income £5,391k
Premier Rugby Limited income £6,097k
Commercial income £8,923k
Total Income £20,411k

I don't know if the PRL income is exactly the same for all 12 clubs (is the PRL pot equally split?) but let's assume it is - we have a really good fan base and therefore probably have one of the largest rugby incomes. If that's case, it's really easy to see how other clubs are struggling to operate.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The accumulated losses are there, the increase in capital assets are also there but at an agreed valuation which can be flexible. However it should be obvious to all that to compete with other teams Tigers need further revenue streams, maybe a multi-storey car park or a hotel bringing an increase in non match day usage of the facilities.
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

Coops wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:15 am Income from ticket sales (the rugby income) only accounts for 26% of the total income:

Rugby income £5,391k
Premier Rugby Limited income £6,097k
Commercial income £8,923k
Total Income £20,411k

I don't know if the PRL income is exactly the same for all 12 clubs (is the PRL pot equally split?) but let's assume it is - we have a really good fan base and therefore probably have one of the largest rugby incomes. If that's case, it's really easy to see how other clubs are struggling to operate.
Yes, it'd be very interesting to see the corresponding figures for other clubs, especially the (current) near neighbours.

My brother sometimes goes to Sandy Park and tells me that Exeter Chiefs ticket prices are teh highest in the Premier League so that might compensate for a smaller crowd to some degree.
bageo
Tiger Cub

Post by bageo »

Note 7 is interesting - 'Playing and coaching staff' dropped from 103 to 78

clearly salary cap and rising salaries has led, at least in part, to this drop.