Toomua Call Up - Cake and Eat IT

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Traveller
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:46 pm

Toomua Call Up - Cake and Eat IT

Post by Traveller » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:14 am

I know no one else agrees with me. But I see we are now to be without Toomua for November. Watch this space - he will need 'rest time' after the internationals, and then there will be a tweaked hamstring in January (which should ensure he is safe, and fresh from serious injury until the end of the season). He can head off, our four year Marquee player to the WC. I am trying to think of a marquee player at any other club who has contributed less over a four year period. Names on a postcard.

He signed as a Marquee player, re-signed as a Marquee player (which brings responsibility as well as a very big pay check), then changed his mind as a Marquee player. Living proof you can have your cake and eat it. He should have said. I have changed my mind I want to represent my country in the forthcoming WC. Please release me from my contract / or I will buy myself out of the contract.

But no: I'll re-sign and put my contract in my back pocket, then decide I want to play for Australia again, wait for an Australian franchise to come calling, stay on the payroll at Tigers, and play for them if and when I fancy it. Sounds harsh - but he wasn't contracted as a journeyman.

World Cup Winners were back playing for Tigers just a month after the 2003 final. They shouldn't. But they loved Tigers and new what a winning culture was about. They walk the walk. Why we are so 'understanding' of this man I find bewildering. We will never get back to being hard nosed, winners whilst we pander to the Matt Toomua's of this world.

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3685
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: Toomua Call Up - Cake and Eat IT

Post by Mark62 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:18 am

It’s your opinion but I wish people would give it a rest and stop putting words in the blokes mouth and trying to live in his shoes.

What’s done is done live with it

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2875
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Toomua Call Up - Cake and Eat IT

Post by BFG » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:40 am

Mark62 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:18 am
It’s your opinion but I wish people would give it a rest and stop putting words in the blokes mouth and trying to live in his shoes.

What’s done is done live with it
Get down off your high horse, other supporters have every right to voice their opinion just as you have, or do you need an imaginary level 4 like yourself to have an opinion! :smt005
Although everyone understands the reasons here I do personally agree with the OP, Tigers are down the list of some players priorities!

DingDong
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:06 am

Re: Toomua Call Up - Cake and Eat IT

Post by DingDong » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:50 am

It's a job, circumstances change, sportsmen get injured.

Instead of sucking lemons, why don't you celebrate the positives Toomua has brought to the club in the short time he's been here? Prior to MT our back line lacked any attacking prowess since Bowden left. I'm glad he came and re-invigourated our back line, now move on - pleeeease!!!

jamiewilkinson
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:46 pm

Re: Toomua Call Up - Cake and Eat IT

Post by jamiewilkinson » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:52 am

To be fair, he isn't going to get a starting place unless there are injuries.
IMO we have seriously underplayed him, and its hardly surprising he looked at moving away.
A real shame.
At least he's had the decency to tell the club his intentions with enough time to source a replacement, or to spend the money elsewhere.

johnthegriff
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1210
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Toomua Call Up - Cake and Eat IT

Post by johnthegriff » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:13 am

What do you mean " underplayed him" he has been selected when ever he was available prior to him becoming part of the Aussie squad again.
Toomua missed most of his first season through injury, not his fault. He did not expect to be part of his countries World Cup thinking but answered their call when asked and who can blame him. I am sure he will play his best for Tigers this season when selected and no doubt our youngsters will benefit from sharing the training ground with this great player.

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7963
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Toomua Call Up - Cake and Eat IT

Post by RagingBull » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:22 am

Bit much to say he has re-invigorated our backline classy player but not like we have been struggling with our attack with him missing the last few weeks.

I do find it funny when someone like Toomua gets praise for his 1 full season yet someone like Crane who never stopped trying for the club in his 223 games for us got so much abuse and stick yes he lacked the flashes other players got but you could never fault his piroities loyalty is a two way street.
Last edited by RagingBull on Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leicestertinytiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1589
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: Toomua Call Up - Cake and Eat IT

Post by Leicestertinytiger » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:27 am

Completely agree with this post and have been saying something similar on the Autumn Internationals thread.

Yes we fully understand that a World Cup place is a hard prospect to turn down, but come on he signed his contract with us knowing full well what that would do to his international ambitions.

Oh yeah that’s right, somehow we’re still paying him marquee wage and he’s also playing for Australia. By doing so he is also completely wrecking the balance of the squad. We literally have no adequate 10 cover for the Autumn period now who are premiership standard.

That’s not the club fault and they fully expected him to be available, that’s his fault. I don’t understand why more people aren’t more annoyed about this. Any other player and people would be up in arms.

ellis9
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4187
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:44 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: Toomua Call Up - Cake and Eat IT

Post by ellis9 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:41 am

jamiewilkinson wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:52 am
To be fair, he isn't going to get a starting place unless there are injuries.
IMO we have seriously underplayed him, and its hardly surprising he looked at moving away.
A real shame.
At least he's had the decency to tell the club his intentions with enough time to source a replacement, or to spend the money elsewhere.
What?!

Have you been watching Tigers for the past couple of seasons?! He played pretty much every game he was available for.

This season, he has been on the bench for a few games due to having hardly trained with us due to playing for Australia. He was playing regularly for us when he chose to sign for another club so that he could play for Australia. It had nothing to do with us not picking him because he was one of the first names on the team sheet every week.

jamiewilkinson
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:46 pm

Re: Toomua Call Up - Cake and Eat IT

Post by jamiewilkinson » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:51 am

johnthegriff wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:13 am
What do you mean " underplayed him" he has been selected when ever he was available prior to him becoming part of the Aussie squad again.
Toomua missed most of his first season through injury, not his fault. He did not expect to be part of his countries World Cup thinking but answered their call when asked and who can blame him. I am sure he will play his best for Tigers this season when selected and no doubt our youngsters will benefit from sharing the training ground with this great player.
ellis9 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:41 am
jamiewilkinson wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:52 am
To be fair, he isn't going to get a starting place unless there are injuries.
IMO we have seriously underplayed him, and its hardly surprising he looked at moving away.
A real shame.
At least he's had the decency to tell the club his intentions with enough time to source a replacement, or to spend the money elsewhere.
What?!

Have you been watching Tigers for the past couple of seasons?! He played pretty much every game he was available for.

This season, he has been on the bench for a few games due to having hardly trained with us due to playing for Australia. He was playing regularly for us when he chose to sign for another club so that he could play for Australia. It had nothing to do with us not picking him because he was one of the first names on the team sheet every week.

Apologies. I will keep my opinions to myself.
Good luck in your quests, Signing off.

ellis9
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4187
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:44 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: Toomua Call Up - Cake and Eat IT

Post by ellis9 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:58 am

jamiewilkinson wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:51 am
johnthegriff wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:13 am
What do you mean " underplayed him" he has been selected when ever he was available prior to him becoming part of the Aussie squad again.
Toomua missed most of his first season through injury, not his fault. He did not expect to be part of his countries World Cup thinking but answered their call when asked and who can blame him. I am sure he will play his best for Tigers this season when selected and no doubt our youngsters will benefit from sharing the training ground with this great player.
ellis9 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:41 am
jamiewilkinson wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:52 am
To be fair, he isn't going to get a starting place unless there are injuries.
IMO we have seriously underplayed him, and its hardly surprising he looked at moving away.
A real shame.
At least he's had the decency to tell the club his intentions with enough time to source a replacement, or to spend the money elsewhere.
What?!

Have you been watching Tigers for the past couple of seasons?! He played pretty much every game he was available for.

This season, he has been on the bench for a few games due to having hardly trained with us due to playing for Australia. He was playing regularly for us when he chose to sign for another club so that he could play for Australia. It had nothing to do with us not picking him because he was one of the first names on the team sheet every week.

Apologies. I will keep my opinions to myself.
Good luck in your quests, Signing off.
Saying he has been underplayed is factually wrong though. It has nothing to do with your opinion.

What is it with people on here? They get something pointed out to them and throw a hissy fit! Grow up!

sapajo
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4510
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:48 pm

Re: Toomua Call Up - Cake and Eat IT

Post by sapajo » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:59 am

I find it incredible that some folks on here have no truck with the Toomua situation. Its a true example of having his cake and eating it. When he re-signed he basically was unavailable for 50% of his first contract, by extending his contract he kept open many options, ie get called up by Australia he would be released by Tigers, and he would continue to benefit from a renewed contract and juicy salary or leave. The fact that he subsequently opted to leave his contract months after signing it early, does not sit well with me. Its especially galling after he publicly espoused just how much he loved the club and how much he was looking forward to spending the remainder of his career at Tigers. I sincerely hope Cohen can minimally obtain some heavy fiscal redress for this if nothing else.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity

ellis9
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4187
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:44 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: Toomua Call Up - Cake and Eat IT

Post by ellis9 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:07 am

sapajo wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:59 am
I find it incredible that some folks on here have no truck with the Toomua situation. Its a true example of having his cake and eating it. When he re-signed he basically was unavailable for 50% of his first contract, by extending his contract he kept open many options, ie get called up by Australia he would be released by Tigers, and he would continue to benefit from a renewed contract and juicy salary or leave. The fact that he subsequently opted to leave his contract months after signing it early, does not sit well with me. Its especially galling after he publicly espoused just how much he loved the club and how much he was looking forward to spending the remainder of his career at Tigers. I sincerely hope Cohen can minimally obtain some heavy fiscal redress for this if nothing else.
I explained my unhappiness at Toomua's change of mind.

However, to say we have underplayed him is a ridiculous comment.

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3685
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: Toomua Call Up - Cake and Eat IT

Post by Mark62 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:23 am

sapajo wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:59 am
I find it incredible that some folks on here have no truck with the Toomua situation. Its a true example of having his cake and eating it. When he re-signed he basically was unavailable for 50% of his first contract, by extending his contract he kept open many options, ie get called up by Australia he would be released by Tigers, and he would continue to benefit from a renewed contract and juicy salary or leave. The fact that he subsequently opted to leave his contract months after signing it early, does not sit well with me. Its especially galling after he publicly espoused just how much he loved the club and how much he was looking forward to spending the remainder of his career at Tigers. I sincerely hope Cohen can minimally obtain some heavy fiscal redress for this if nothing else.
I doubt any of us on here are world class sportsmen with the unexpected chance to play at a World Cup we therefore have no idea what decisions he had to weigh up. I have never met Matt but he comes over as a decent bloke therefore I have no reason to disbelieve what he said about being happy at Leicester.

I know this has split opinion but don’t we think this subject has now been done to death

Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1076
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: Toomua Call Up - Cake and Eat IT

Post by Cardiff Tig » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:24 pm

This whole thread is frankly ridiculous in my opinion. Pretending any player considers playing for Tigers over their country is just a complete load of rubbish. Some fans on here may consider club rugby the highlight, but the fraction of players that do is tiny.

See how long Tigers last if they become known as a team that actively doesn't want its players to play in world cups/internationals.

Toomua will miss about 5 premiership games this season because of internationals, the same as all the England internationals in the squad. If you honestly think that the club wouldn't have willingly paid a marquee salary for a player that is a current international then what do you think the marquee salary is for? Over the hill SH players that are moving for the money? Tigers will get some financial compensation from releasing him a year early, they're run as a successful business and know how professional contracts work.

I'd rather have any top class international in our team that misses a handful of games than try and sign someone who is playing just for the higher salary. I'll be sorry to see Toomua go, and I'm perfectly happy with the decisions he has made.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ABClub, benj98, GB72, JPC1983, Leicestertinytiger, longlivethecrumbie, RagingBull, RunTigerRun and 2 guests