Holmes called up for Wales

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Holmes called up for Wales

Post by wormus »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:30 pm Rugby Pass reporting that Holmes is likely to have signed a pre-contract agreement with a Welsh region for next season already
Well Jonah did have an option at Scarlets but chose Tigers instead, so if he goes to Wales then the far west looks the option again. :smt010
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

wormus wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:31 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:30 pm Rugby Pass reporting that Holmes is likely to have signed a pre-contract agreement with a Welsh region for next season already
Well Jonah did have an option at Scarlets but chose Tigers instead, so if he goes to Wales then the far west looks the option again. :smt010
Let's hope it encourages him to play out of his skin on Friday night in order to impress future prospective employers.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Be a shame to see Holmes go but in reality he has had little first team action in his time with us and must consider that when injured players return he will again be out of the squad. With an opportunity to gain international appearances why would he stay.
I'm not cynical just experienced
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

chewbacca wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:38 am Be a shame to see Holmes go but in reality he has had little first team action in his time with us and must consider that when injured players return he will again be out of the squad. With an opportunity to gain international appearances why would he stay.
If Tiger's said you are the FB we intend to be No1 for the next 3 years, here's more dosh, then he might rethink playing for Dragons :smt003
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Somehow I doubt they'll do that for someone who will be lost to internationals for another nation.

It's one thing signing an established international but as a Tigers fan and spend money on a season ticket I get annoyed at losing our players to flags of convenience. It's long overdue that the grandparent rule was scrapped. I'd scrap it for parents too with the exception of those who are forces children.

I appreciate that to compete at the top level clubs need a few foreign stars but those coming through the academy or being signed as English qualified need to have a clause in the contract that cuts their salary if they go and play for other nations.

If the Tigers ethos is to return the youngsters and signings need to buy into the Tigers and England rather than seeing Tigers as a stepping stone to international recognition.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

mol2 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:40 am Somehow I doubt they'll do that for someone who will be lost to internationals for another nation.

It's one thing signing an established international but as a Tigers fan and spend money on a season ticket I get annoyed at losing our players to flags of convenience. It's long overdue that the grandparent rule was scrapped. I'd scrap it for parents too with the exception of those who are forces children.

I appreciate that to compete at the top level clubs need a few foreign stars but those coming through the academy or being signed as English qualified need to have a clause in the contract that cuts their salary if they go and play for other nations.

If the Tigers ethos is to return the youngsters and signings need to buy into the Tigers and England rather than seeing Tigers as a stepping stone to international recognition.
I mostly agree with you but I do think that the youngsters also see Tigers as a stepping stone these days, it isn't taken as seriously as it should be and the commitment isn't what it should be, if they don't get what they want and quickly without really earning it then they often spit their dummies.
They are internationals with big ideas before they are even proven at 1st team level.
It's the cart before the horse IMO and is why the quality is reducing year on year.
Not that you can blame Holmes though as he hasn't been given the silver spoon treatment like many these days!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

As harsh as it sounds I’m hoping he doesn’t get capped and therefore we can keep him at Tigers. I do think he’s a great player for us but he’s not international quality yet.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I think Holmes does have the potential to be our long term 15 - unlike Veianu he can defend . Whether he has a long term future with Wales is debateable - can't see him ever being above Halfpenny/Liam Williams in the pecking order.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

MikeR wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:27 am I think Holmes does have the potential to be our long term 15 - unlike Veianu he can defend . Whether he has a long term future with Wales is debateable - can't see him ever being above Halfpenny/Liam Williams in the pecking order.
Wales looking to the future, maybe? Halfpenny is presumably highly unlikely to be around for 2023 WC, Williams marginal...
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I can’t see Holmes getting ahead of Williams or Halfpenny at fullback, same with Adams, Evans or North on the wings.

Seems like an odd selection for me, one which I hope doesn’t have a detrimental effect on his Tigers career. Adams is still playing for Worcester so who knows.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

We should be careful to keep Welsh noses off Reffell too.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:14 am We should be careful to keep Welsh noses off Reffell too.
I thought the same thing, though as their u20 captain he must be on their radar.

As for Holmes I would be surprised if he gets capped in the Autumn there are a number of players ahead of him both on the wing and at 15
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:30 am
JP14 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:14 am We should be careful to keep Welsh noses off Reffell too.
I thought the same thing, though as their u20 captain he must be on their radar.

As for Holmes I would be surprised if he gets capped in the Autumn there are a number of players ahead of him both on the wing and at 15
I expect him to get just 1 cap, enough to tie him to Wales for the future then leave him dangling.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

They will probably bring him off the bench in the 79th minute against Tonga.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Murph has said he is 100% staying in a mockery article today

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... hy-2131551

:smt026