Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Re: England squad

Post by Robespierre »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:32 pm
Robespierre wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:50 pm Ok. So let’s have Daley at fullback and AN Other as back-up and send Brown back to Quins.i
Surely Goode or Woodward are better options than Brown. Also fail to understand how none of Kvesic, Ewers or Armand didn’t make the cut. Kvesic especially deserves a shot at openside for England.
Quite right !
Semper in excretia
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Barring a miracle EJ may be departing before the 6N as he seems to be losing the plot.

Any coincidence that Marler "retired" and now Cole has been dropped?
You do wonder who picks the squad. Again too many Quins players.

Doesn't he understand that first and foremost props have to be able to scrummage? Good job we are not playing France or Ireland.

I can understand the return of Morgan who was dumped after the world cup when he patently wasn't fit enough to be there following his broken leg.
Last edited by mol2 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

I am totaly underwhelmed by the squad, too many average players filling up space, I fear more dross to follow last years shambles, is Eddie Jones the Jose Mourinho of Rugby, a two season wonder?
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

mol2 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:59 pm Barring a miracle EJ may be departing before the 6N as he seems to be losing the plot.
Exactly!
For me, the sooner he goes the better!
Semper in excretia
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

How on earth do all of Kvesic, Ewers or Armand not make it? They demolish most back rows week in week out.
As for Goode, I didn't expect him to be in as he hasn't been included for years.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I see EJ isn't too bothered about form then?

No Goode, despite being the best English-qualified full back by a mile. No Cips despite the fact he can cover any of FH, centre or FB and is in great form. No Armand (what does that guy have to do?), no Ewers and no Kvesic - Kvesic in particular has been outstanding this season.

Te'o and Tuilagi are surely not fit enough to make a real impression in the test arena and Chris Ashton hasn't played in the premiership yet because he's an idiot. I'm not a huge fan of Cipriani but to exclude him (supposedly) on discplinary grounds and still include Ashton is downright double-standards.

A big autumn for EJ having lost 6 in 7.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

England may beat Japan, but NZ and SA - no chance! Eddie’s head is on the block and the axe is falling !
Semper in excretia
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Not to put Ben Morgan down when he's having a pretty good season, but ignoring the ready-made back row unit of Kvesic/Ewers/Armand seems like suicide when they're so dominant week in week out. And leaving Cole out exposes a very inexperienced front row that SA and the All Blacks will chew up and spit out given half a chance.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:30 pm Not to put Ben Morgan down when he's having a pretty good season, but ignoring the ready-made back row unit of Kvesic/Ewers/Armand seems like suicide when they're so dominant week in week out. And leaving Cole out exposes a very inexperienced front row that SA and the All Blacks will chew up and spit out given half a chance.
With you on that entirely, at least Cole on the bench. Sinckler will be spat out or red-carded for losing it. And no Goode or Cipriani? Go for form!!!!!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Spicer wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:11 pm How on earth do all of Kvesic, Ewers or Armand not make it? They demolish most back rows week in week out.
As for Goode, I didn't expect him to be in as he hasn't been included for years.
I have to agree and am also bemused about Ashton inclusion. Yes he had form last season but if EJ is picking on current form as he says with Cips then Ashton doesn't have any because he hasn't played. And I also fail to see why he sticks with Teo who to me is a one dimensional player who doesn't actually crash over the gain line that ofteno anyway.
As Good As It Gets
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

It would appear something beyond the obvious with Cole. (All Black props may be able to do more than Dan, but they have to be able to scrumage, that said Owen Franks is hardly an all court player)
All our players in the squad could start though.

Agent Jones is carrying out a great job....for the other sides.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:05 pm It would appear something beyond the obvious with Cole. (All Black props may be able to do more than Dan, but they have to be able to scrumage, that said Owen Franks is hardly an all court player)
All our players in the squad could start though.

Agent Jones is carrying out a great job....for the other sides.
Nothing like a good conspiracy! 😁
As Good As It Gets
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Cole's discipline has let him down the last couple of seasons, to the point where he was becoming a liability. You can't afford to give that many penalties away at international level.

I'm talking about the penalties in the loose before anyone suggests the scrum can be a lottery!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

POSTIGER wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:12 pm
. I'm not a huge fan of Cipriani but to exclude him (supposedly) on discplinary grounds and still include Ashton is downright double-standards.
I don’t think saying Cipriani is excluded on “disciplinary grounds” is accurate. If anything he appears to be left out as he just doesn’t have the right character to be in a squad environment around the team. We’ve seen it countless times throughout his career.

The fact he habitually offends (assaults policewoman, drink drives, kicks buses etc) is bye-the-bye, but probably good indicators that the man’s a fool.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Cole has never been best ball in hand, but is a rock at scrum time. I do feel that he hasn’t been in the best of form lately and can offer more around the park, especially at the breakdown.

Sinckler has all the attributes to be our best tighthead but whether he can prove himself as a starting prop is another issue. I guess we won’t know without him getting a chance.

Paul Hill is another one for me who could have a big future for England. But lack of gametime at Saints seems to have stalled his progress. Plus we have Heyes who no doubt will be a star tighthead long term.