How to Keep Manu at Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BengalTiger

Re: How to Keep Manu at Tigers

Post by BengalTiger »

Given the figures banded about for other players, Cole should be on a million quid PA at least, toughest possition on the park plays more minutes than most front rowers, and is one truly world class players we have, IMHO!!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BengalTiger wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:41 am Given the figures banded about for other players, Cole should be on a million quid PA at least, toughest possition on the park plays more minutes than most front rowers, and is one truly world class players we have, IMHO!!
tripeandonions
Tiger Cub

Post by tripeandonions »

I can forsee him just fading away, whether it's with Tigers or someplace else. He should be able to make a decent living from playing, for a few more years, but can't expect the same income level from it. As someone else has rightly said, he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer and this, as he gets older, will further disadvantage him. Some players, when age and injuries kick in, are smart enough to adapt and know their limitations.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

The French website Rugbyrama seem to think a move for Tuilagi to either Lyon or Toulon could be on the cards. See the link below (in French!)
https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/transfer ... tory.shtml

The Daily Mail reckons that he could be offered 680,000€, which is significantly more than the alleged 425,000 pounds he currently earns, which isn't bad at all, but if he wants to jack in his chances of playing in the World Cup and swelling his bank account, then good luck to him?
Personally, I think that he owes Tigers a lot of loyalty as they have been patient with him and I'd be disappointed in Tigers if they were to offer him an increase in what is already a tidy sum of a salary.
Semper in excretia
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

If we are to lose/let him go, then I have to say that I would cut the links to the family entirely and let Fred go as well depending on his contract. They have been brilliant for the club and we have shown them a lot of loyalty but if, for whatever reason Manu leaves, Fred goes as well for me. I simply don't believe he has the ability to develop into a 1st choice player in any position and was astounded when he was promoted into the senior squad whatever he cost. It has always been my opinion that was a sweetener to keep Manu but as I said, just my opinion.
Hehehehehehehehe
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

If he chooses to leave Tigers after all that the Club has done for him, then maybe the Club should reconsider its position regarding keeping absolute faith with players whose contributions (in game time over a number of years) have been so minimal owing to persistent injury. He owes us a lot, and loyalty would be high on my list.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

trendylfj wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:53 am If we are to lose/let him go, then I have to say that I would cut the links to the family entirely and let Fred go as well depending on his contract. They have been brilliant for the club and we have shown them a lot of loyalty but if, for whatever reason Manu leaves, Fred goes as well for me. I simply don't believe he has the ability to develop into a 1st choice player in any position and was astounded when he was promoted into the senior squad whatever he cost. It has always been my opinion that was a sweetener to keep Manu but as I said, just my opinion.
If Manu goes I will 100% guarantee that Fred will leave too
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Robespierre wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:17 am The French website Rugbyrama seem to think a move for Tuilagi to either Lyon or Toulon could be on the cards. See the link below (in French!)

The Daily Mail reckons that he could be offered 680,000€, which is significantly more than the alleged 425,000 pounds he currently earns, which isn't bad at all, but if he wants to jack in his chances of playing in the World Cup and swelling his bank account, then good luck to him?
Personally, I think that he owes Tigers a lot of loyalty as they have been patient with him and I'd be disappointed in Tigers if they were to offer him an increase in what is already a tidy sum of a salary.
Apparently he doesn't owe the club some loyalty. This is what Freddie Tuilagi said on the Tigers Fans Facebook page:

To set the record straight, Manu Tuilagi owes nothing to no body, talking about loyalty he could have signed with another club for treble the money but he stayed at the club he love, some of the people on this page know nothing about loyalty! Injuries is part of contact sports and some people are more worse than others, but he worked his backside off to get back to fitness, he’s a proven winner, he deserved all the blessing he gets, He is a proud Leicester boy, he cares about the club and the true fans but he will do whats best for him and his young family like any other human being on the planet will do, he is no angel but as in John 8:7 says “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.” Now get behind the team instead of pointing the finger because you might point one finger but there’s more than hundred pointing at you!!! Happy Wednesday! ✌️✌️✌️
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Well said Ellis 9.

I don’t get people who say he risks not going to the World Cup if he joins a French club after the tournament :smt017
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:56 pm Well said Ellis 9.

I don’t get people who say he risks not going to the World Cup if he joins a French club after the tournament :smt017
It wasn't me who said it. I think you mean "Well said Freddie"
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

ellis9 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:39 pm
Robespierre wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:17 am The French website Rugbyrama seem to think a move for Tuilagi to either Lyon or Toulon could be on the cards. See the link below (in French!)

Apparently he doesn't owe the club some loyalty. This is what Freddie Tuilagi said on the Tigers Fans Facebook page:

To set the record straight, Manu Tuilagi owes nothing to no body, talking about loyalty he could have signed with another club for treble the money but he stayed at the club he love, some of the people on this page know nothing about loyalty! Injuries is part of contact sports and some people are more worse than others, but he worked his backside off to get back to fitness, he’s a proven winner, he deserved all the blessing he gets, He is a proud Leicester boy, he cares about the club and the true fans but he will do whats best for him and his young family like any other human being on the planet will do, he is no angel but as in John 8:7 says “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.” Now get behind the team instead of pointing the finger because you might point one finger but there’s more than hundred pointing at you!!! Happy Wednesday! ✌️✌️✌️
I would suggest that some good old-fashioned values would not go amiss here. Of course he is free to go to any club that offers him a fat cheque, but the salary that he's already probably on is certainly not to be sniffed at for a player with a young family. Over the last two or three seasons he's had an unfortunate run of injuries and the club have quite rightly been patient with him, but Freddie's words of wisdom that Manu "owes nothing to nobody", sound a bit hollow.
Personally, I am 100% behind the team, and have been for fifty years but only manage to get to two or three home games a season and the odd away game in France if possible. Call my comments, "pointing the finger" if you wish, but I like everyone else on this forum, am only expressing my point of view.
Semper in excretia
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:12 pm
ellis9 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:39 pm

I would suggest that some good old-fashioned values would not go amiss here. Of course he is free to go to any club that offers him a fat cheque, but the salary that he's already probably on is certainly not to be sniffed at for a player with a young family. Over the last two or three seasons he's had an unfortunate run of injuries and the club have quite rightly been patient with him, but Freddie's words of wisdom that Manu "owes nothing to nobody", sound a bit hollow.
Personally, I am 100% behind the team, and have been for fifty years but only manage to get to two or three home games a season and the odd away game in France if possible. Call my comments, "pointing the finger" if you wish, but I like everyone else on this forum, am only expressing my point of view.
Freddie made that "pointing the finger" comment about people on the Facebook group.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Busted flush imo. So many injuries over so many years means the conditioning is gone and he’ll get injured again and again. Not worth the money, spend it on someone who will actually play. £425k is a huge amount for a centre who’s hardly played in recent years. Generally it’s fly halves and TH props which make the big money. If Lyon or Toulon want to pay him silly money pat him on the back and say off you go.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I believe it would be more to the point to ask how we can keep Manu free of so much injury at Tigers. His absenteeism is catastrophic, and persistent. Would we be better off letting him go without too much fuss, if he is in two minds? My view is that we should, and bring in someone else as a marquee player.

There would obviously be some opposition to this idea, but this is merely my personal opinion.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

In truth, we have wasted 4 years basing every single positive on a Manu return.
The poor lad is injury prone and thats a genetic issue plus possibly certain lifestyle factors so rationale surely is now, cut our losses and let him go to Toulon on a massive payday.
Knowing Freddie quite well from fifteen years ago, I am sure that is already in his mindset ................ ££££££ signs.....