Holmes called up for Wales

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wolverhampton_tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Holmes called up for Wales

Post by wolverhampton_tiger »

Congratulations to Jonah for the call up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/45863116

We'll be short of wingers in a few weeks.....
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Holmes called up for Wales

Post by sapajo »

Congratulations and well deserved he is a class winger but sadly Wales gain is our loss. We will certainly struggle even more with him gone in addition to all our other selected internationals. It will also may well now push up his profile and with that his contract renewal pay aspirations.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Congrats and good luck to him, a player I feel was wasted last year under O’Connor In the a-league, but it does worry me that it will not only leave use short during the autumn internationals, and also make it even harder to keep him at the end of the season as in order to keep his place for Wales he’ll more than likely have to move to a welsh team.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Bitter sweet, if he really does want to play for Wales then he will have to move to the valleys. Our loss for their gain sadly.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:03 pm Bitter sweet, if he really does want to play for Wales then he will have to move to the valleys. Our loss for their gain sadly.
Did he sign a 2 or 3 year deal?
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Drat!! He has a Welsh Grandparent that drank James Buckley's and also gave Jonah Rhyl rock :smt002
So he qualifies,
I note Owen Williams is not in the squad now, it would be interesting if he had stayed at Tigers but that is all water down the Severn.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

That leaves us with Olowefela, Thompstone and Aspland-Robinson as the wingers during the Als. That’s assuming Veainu plays for Tonga which isn’t a given.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

JP14 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:27 pm That leaves us with Olowefela, Thompstone and Aspland-Robinson as the wingers during the Als. That’s assuming Veainu plays for Tonga which isn’t a given.
Maybe we will see the likes of Freddie Steward get a shot during the PRC then?
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Delighted for Jonah, disappointed for Tigers. The bitter sweet reward for recognition.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Big Dai wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:43 pm Delighted for Jonah, disappointed for Tigers. The bitter sweet reward for recognition.
It wouldn’t be that bad if he was called up by England or Scotland. But the pressure from Wales for him to relocate to one of the regions will be hard for him to ignore.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Think England have missed a trick. In a couple of years, whilst playing regularly, he could be a very good player either at FB or on the Wing.
Good for him however
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Rugby Pass reporting that Holmes is likely to have signed a pre-contract agreement with a Welsh region for next season already
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:30 pm Rugby Pass reporting that Holmes is likely to have signed a pre-contract agreement with a Welsh region for next season already
If Holmes does leave then I would want him replaced by an out and out fullback. I think we have enough wingers with May, Veainu, Olowofela and Thompstone.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:35 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:30 pm Rugby Pass reporting that Holmes is likely to have signed a pre-contract agreement with a Welsh region for next season already
If Holmes does leave then I would want him replaced by an out and out fullback. I think we have enough wingers with May, Veainu, Olowofela and Thompstone.
While that is possible, and Tigers will already know if so, the era of Gatland's Law (which never existed) has passed. Wales are simply aping IRFU with less money, and the millstone of Dragons around their necks. Owen Williams isn't in the squad because he has been either injured or ignored by Ackerman (who seems to be averse to some Welsh players cf. Moriarty).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:35 pm
Ideally one who is a rock under the high ball and has an absolute cannon of a boot. Just so we have a different option to TV.

As mentioned above Freddie Steward has been tipped as one to watch. Hopefully we'll see him used in the new cup thingy.

Holmes is pretty awesome in attach but his positioning and ability under the high ball need work. In a year or two he could be very handy but right now he's not international ready. I'd be surprised if he made the Wales world cup squad but fingers crossed for him.