LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:54 pm Devoto out of contract end of season.
Chiefs will have to be losing some players to make up for the increase in contract extensions, might be get able.
Devoto has injury problems. Don’t really want him.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

JP14 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:12 pm
RagingBull wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:54 pm Devoto out of contract end of season.
Chiefs will have to be losing some players to make up for the increase in contract extensions, might be get able.
Devoto has injury problems. Don’t really want him.
Sounds like everything our recruitment team look for in a player.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugby paper have us being interested in Etzebeth.

Even if it doesn’t happen hopefully a sign we are looking at some big locks.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Tigers locks have been paperweight for years. We need much more than Etsebeth though he would undoubtedly help,
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Etzebeth alongside Spencer would be mouth wateringly good. Bring in a top hooker (already been linked with Taylor) and a quality Tight-head to replace Cole (isn't there one we were linked with before, plays in France I think?

Added the rumoured interest in Boyce, are we finally taking front five recruitment seriously again? Even if we don't sign the players named, it sounds like a step in the right direction.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

TTRITH wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:52 amTight-head to replace Cole (isn't there one we were linked with before, plays in France I think?
Leatigaga.

viewtopic.php?t=45398&start=330

https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/transfer ... tory.shtml
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

TTRITH wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:52 am Etzebeth alongside Spencer would be mouth wateringly good. Bring in a top hooker (already been linked with Taylor) and a quality Tight-head to replace Cole (isn't there one we were linked with before, plays in France I think?

Added the rumoured interest in Boyce, are we finally taking front five recruitment seriously again? Even if we don't sign the players named, it sounds like a step in the right direction.
Taylor would be a great signing and would go straight into the starting XV. Feel with the rumour of Leatigaga coming in, we’re all right on the prop front with the likes of Genge, Bateman, Fe’ao, Cole, Leatigaga and Heyes. No need for Boyce I feel unless Bateman is going.

Wells, Williams and Spencer have all shown they can be quality players in the premiership. Some monster hits from Williams yesterday. For me I’d sadly let Kitchener and Fitzgerald move on and look to bring in a marquee second rower such as Stephen Du Toit or Etzebeth. In a dream world I guess we would look to bring both in but I doubt that would happen.

Add in a quality backrower to compliment who we already have for the likes of Mapapalangi and suddenly we have a great looking pack.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

May be agent talk re: Etzebeth. From South African press a week or so ago...

“Eben Etzebeth linked with move to French Top 14 outfit

“Mourad Boudjellal has been in regular contact with the player for several years and would have one step ahead of everyone on this issue. Still, the arrival of the player will be expensive: above one million euros annually” the publication claims“
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TigerMac3 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:04 am May be agent talk re: Etzebeth. From South African press a week or so ago...

“Eben Etzebeth linked with move to French Top 14 outfit

“Mourad Boudjellal has been in regular contact with the player for several years and would have one step ahead of everyone on this issue. Still, the arrival of the player will be expensive: above one million euros annually” the publication claims“
Wouldn’t Bristol make more sense from agent speak.

I’m sure we have looked at him but getting him is most likely half a world away.
Last edited by RagingBull on Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

@RagingBull - probably.
Can’t believe he’s still just 26, feels like he’s been about forever. Du Toit may be the more realistic option.

On another note have been really impressed with what I’ve seen of Ted Hill at Worcester. Would love to see him as part of our back row options...
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I would love to see either of them at Welford road. That would be some signing. I guess we would have the salary after MT goes back to Australia plus some extra money for break of contract. However, Etzebeth would be away playing for SA in the championship and AI's...so we would lose him for a chunk of the season. I guess it's weighing up the options.
If you look at Exeter they hardly lose anyone, hence why they have more concistency along with the stability within the club.

What would marquee player bring to the team? We haven't always had the best of luck with them.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Agree on the value a marquee adds if they spend X amount of time flying around the world with their national team. What we are crying out for is a leader. We have a captain, but does he lead? Not for me. Maybe we’re best off looking for an out and out leader rather than a big name, high profile, Southern Hemisphere ‘brand’...
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:21 am
TTRITH wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:52 amTight-head to replace Cole (isn't there one we were linked with before, plays in France I think?
Leatigaga.

viewtopic.php?t=45398&start=330

Https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/transfer ... tory.shtml
:smt023 Cheers Whitecap
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:53 am
TTRITH wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:52 am Etzebeth alongside Spencer would be mouth wateringly good. Bring in a top hooker (already been linked with Taylor) and a quality Tight-head to replace Cole (isn't there one we were linked with before, plays in France I think?

Taylor would be a great signing and would go straight into the starting XV. Feel with the rumour of Leatigaga coming in, we’re all right on the prop front with the likes of Genge, Bateman, Fe’ao, Cole, Leatigaga and Heyes. No need for Boyce I feel unless Bateman is going.

Wells, Williams and Spencer have all shown they can be quality players in the premiership. Some monster hits from Williams yesterday. For me I’d sadly let Kitchener and Fitzgerald move on and look to bring in a marquee second rower such as Stephen Du Toit or Etzebeth. In a dream world I guess we would look to bring both in but I doubt that would happen.

Add in a quality backrower to compliment who we already have for the likes of Mapapalangi and suddenly we have a great looking pack.
Tommy Taylor only makes sense if TPN is off. He's been decent but not stellar. Taylor being available more often and knowing the lead (as well as a lot younger) would be beneficial.

Boyce is a young player with potential. If Boris doesn't think Hill or Grahamslaw are likely to step up then a player who was hotly tipped before he moved to Quins and his career stalled might be worth a punt.

Etzebeth and Steph du Toit will be too expensive. We will need to look a little less established. I still think Snyman would be a more ideal option. I'd also keep Kitch for at least one more season.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:02 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:53 am

Tommy Taylor only makes sense if TPN is off. He's been decent but not stellar. Taylor being available more often and knowing the lead (as well as a lot younger) would be beneficial.

Boyce is a young player with potential. If Boris doesn't think Hill or Grahamslaw are likely to step up then a player who was hotly tipped before he moved to Quins and his career stalled might be worth a punt.

Etzebeth and Steph du Toit will be too expensive. We will need to look a little less established. I still think Snyman would be a more ideal option. I'd also keep Kitch for at least one more season.
How many times are we going to look at the less established option and then wonder why we’re not challenging for top spot!

If we want to compete with the best then we need to bring in top rated forwards. Not just hope someone we get on the cheap is going to turn good.