How to Keep Manu at Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: How to Keep Manu at Tigers

Post by Mark62 »

Maybe should be entitled How to convince Freddie to keep Manu at Tigers..

Freddie is all about the money, and rightly so as an agent. Manu would have to take a 6 figure pay cut I would suggest so a testimonial would be a good way to negate this and he has certainly been at the club long enough.
Maybe give Freddie’s son another contract too (sorry couldn’t help myself )
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Honestly I think he is the third best centre at the club. He could of had an outstanding career injury allowing, but he hasn't been world class for a long time now and I doubt he will ever find that kind of form again. I would keep him on an average wage, but not as a marquee signing.
However the testimonial is well deserved.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Spicer wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:02 pm Honestly I think he is the third best centre at the club. He could of had an outstanding career injury allowing, but he hasn't been world class for a long time now and I doubt he will ever find that kind of form again. I would keep him on an average wage, but not as a marquee signing.
However the testimonial is well deserved.
He's still the best outside centre at the club and is starting to show hints of form. Couple of the trademark Manu hits and a couple of handy carries at the weekend. Showed he'd still got the pace Vs as well.

Wrong time in the season for both sides to be discussing a contract.
strawclearer wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:45 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:30 pm
Stephen18 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:14 pm Completely agree weather we keep Manu or not will depend on if he makes the World Cup squad, which I think will be between him and teo for the ball carrying centre. If he doesn’t make it I think he’ll go to France, which I believe would be a good move for him a change of lifestyle and playing style it did wonders for Johnny Wilkinson after his injury problems.
Whilst I'm sure Freddie will be making many noises about lucrative deals in France I doubt very much Manu will want to leave Leicestershire. He's got a baby and I think his other half is a local with her family here, Manu has family here. Much easier coping with your first baby when surrounded by family, in a place you know and where everyone speaks the same language as you. A big pay rise isn't everything.
[My embolden]

You say that but Logo was in a similar position yet, for £50k pa, he went to a place where they don't speak the same language!
Isn't Logo's wife Castro's sister? Not the same as having your family from the area you live. Despite the difference in weather and accent Newcastle is still only three hours away. Lyon not so much.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Casto’s sister is the mother of Logo’s children, not sure if they actually married or even lived together
tripeandonions
Tiger Cub

Post by tripeandonions »

Stephen18 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:14 pm
Completely agree weather we keep Manu or not will depend on if he makes the World Cup squad, which I think will be between him and teo for the ball carrying centre. If he doesn’t make it I think he’ll go to France, which I believe would be a good move for him a change of lifestyle and playing style it did wonders for Johnny Wilkinson after his injury problems.
Whilst I'm sure Freddie will be making many noises about lucrative deals in France I doubt very much Manu will want to leave Leicestershire. He's got a baby and I think his other half is a local with her family here, Manu has family here. Much easier coping with your first baby when surrounded by family, in a place you know and where everyone speaks the same language as you. A big pay rise isn't everything.
[My embolden]

You say that but Logo was in a similar position yet, for £50k pa, he went to a place where they don't speak the same language!
And has to play 70 minutes, without getting given the ball
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:12 am I’d move over the world for another £50pa!
You're a bit of a cheapskate, that's less than a quid a week! :smt005
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:03 pm Maybe should be entitled How to convince Freddie to keep Manu at Tigers..

Freddie is all about the money, and rightly so as an agent. Manu would have to take a 6 figure pay cut I would suggest so a testimonial would be a good way to negate this and he has certainly been at the club long enough.
Actually the role of an agent is to do what's best for the player. If staying at a club is best for the player but on less money, which also means the agent gets less money, then that's what the agent should be advising them.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:14 pm
Mark62 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:03 pm Maybe should be entitled How to convince Freddie to keep Manu at Tigers..

Actually the role of an agent is to do what's best for the player. If staying at a club is best for the player but on less money, which also means the agent gets less money, then that's what the agent should be advising them.
Fair point :smt023
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

tripeandonions wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:03 pm

[My embolden]

And has to play 70 minutes, without getting given the ball
Yes I’ve noticed they don’t give him the ball. Maybe that’s why he’s lasting so long. Yellow carded for tripping Yarde at the weekend
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

If Eastmond continues to play like he has then Manu will struggle to get in the team (or will be able to be rested) his defensive effort was incredible at the week end; when did Manu get turn overs! Think Manu is great but we have been more than fair to him for all of his career which could easily have ended without the way the club has handled him. Sorry Freddie: payback time: Manu could extend his career here or end it early at another club that won’t look after him like us if he’s on big money!
Alandrin75
Tiger Cub

Post by Alandrin75 »

Stephen18 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:14 pm
ourla wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:35 pm Really hard to know what to do with Manu at the moment.

Might depend on whether his England career gets back on track.
Completely agree weather we keep Manu or not will depend on if he makes the World Cup squad, which I think will be between him and teo for the ball carrying centre. If he doesn’t make it I think he’ll go to France, which I believe would be a good move for him a change of lifestyle and playing style it did wonders for Johnny Wilkinson after his injury problems.
Manu lives in Nether Broughton along with TV who has just moved there and I believe his missus is pregnant.

Manu's other half is from Hinckley and her family still live that way as does Freddie senior.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Alandrin75 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:43 am Manu lives in Nether Broughton along with TV who has just moved there and I believe his missus is pregnant.

Manu's other half is from Hinckley and her family still live that way as does Freddie senior.
Not sure any of that means much to be honest. I am sure a couple of years in the south of France earning big money could override and logistical/location issues.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

It begs the question again of whether we really need him. I would suggest not. He is too prone to injury and long term recovery, and adds little to the attack except as a battering ram, a style of play that has failed to show results. Still liable to run out of a defensive line, thus creating a gap for the opposition to exploit, he’s not a lot of help there either.

Let him go to a French club where he will be under less physical pressure, just like Wilco was, and let him make money whilst he physically can.
Valhalla I am coming!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

fleabane wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:35 am It begs the question again of whether we really need him. I would suggest not. He is too prone to injury and long term recovery, and adds little to the attack except as a battering ram, a style of play that has failed to show results. Still liable to run out of a defensive line, thus creating a gap for the opposition to exploit, he’s not a lot of help there either.

Let him go to a French club where he will be under less physical pressure, just like Wilco was, and let him make money whilst he physically can.
Agree although he is starting to look like his old self. I think it’s fair to say that if he stays it will be with a big pay cut as he no longer justifies marquee player status. Much as I like Manu he isn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer and will therefore be guided heavily by Freddie and other family members.
There appear to be an increasing number of players of south sea ancestry, yes I know he’s English, and if the right club were to be found it would make settling easier for him, as I can’t really see him learning French
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:44 am
fleabane wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:35 am It begs the question again of whether we really need him. I would suggest not. He is too prone to injury and long term recovery, and adds little to the attack except as a battering ram, a style of play that has failed to show results. Still liable to run out of a defensive line, thus creating a gap for the opposition to exploit, he’s not a lot of help there either.

Agree although he is starting to look like his old self. I think it’s fair to say that if he stays it will be with a big pay cut as he no longer justifies marquee player status. Much as I like Manu he isn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer and will therefore be guided heavily by Freddie and other family members.
There appear to be an increasing number of players of south sea ancestry, yes I know he’s English, and if the right club were to be found it would make settling easier for him, as I can’t really see him learning French
Agree with this, he definitely no longer warrants his marquee slot which I’m sure he must realise also. No doubt he’s still a great player though and I’ve no doubt we’ll have put a good contract on the table for him. Just down to him I guess, wouldn’t be the end of the world if he left, with the likes of Ford, May and now Eastmond, we still have some quality backs.