voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

How to Keep Manu at Tigers

Post by voice of the crumbie »

A testimonial apparently.

Snippet from Mail on Sunday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... ester.html
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: How to Keep Manu at Tigers

Post by ourla »

Really hard to know what to do with Manu at the moment.

Might depend on whether his England career gets back on track.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Would like to keep him but on our terms only, and one that would free up his marquee money.
Testimonial year makes sense anyway Think he is one of only a few long term senior Tigers who has yet to have one.

Also did they seriously just suggest Amanaki Mafi as an injury signing option for Exeter? The guy who has a court hearing in Novemeber......
Some of these journo's.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

ourla wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:35 pm Really hard to know what to do with Manu at the moment.

Completely agree weather we keep Manu or not will depend on if he makes the World Cup squad, which I think will be between him and teo for the ball carrying centre. If he doesn’t make it I think he’ll go to France, which I believe would be a good move for him a change of lifestyle and playing style it did wonders for Johnny Wilkinson after his injury problems.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:50 pmWould like to keep him but on our terms only, and one that would free up his marquee money.
I'd go with that, in a way I believe that Manu 'owes' the club something in return for their 'faith', even allowing that injuries cannot always be predicted and I support the club standing by a player but understand there can be no room for sentiment. I wouldn't want to see him playing for another premiership club so France would almost be 'acceptable' and the climate / lifestyle may well help regenerate him and prolong his time playing - no doubt brother Henry could advise on the life out there.

England may well influence his choice regarding Lyon, EJ likes him and the lure of another RWC may sway him but that doesn't necessarily mean with us if another English club offers enough wonga at the end of the season.

Clearly he has to do what is best for him and his family and the reported £600k from Lyon is a lot to turn down, especially as I'm not convinced we should be anywhere near that - and won't be.

End of contract renewal speculation starting earlier and earlier, only seems like yesterday he was talked about again and that signing photo with Cockers put an end to lots of speculation. I just hope it resolves quickly because the endless speculation to fuel media sources is desperately boring.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Stephen18 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:14 pm
ourla wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:35 pm Really hard to know what to do with Manu at the moment.

Completely agree weather we keep Manu or not will depend on if he makes the World Cup squad, which I think will be between him and teo for the ball carrying centre. If he doesn’t make it I think he’ll go to France, which I believe would be a good move for him a change of lifestyle and playing style it did wonders for Johnny Wilkinson after his injury problems.
Whilst I'm sure Freddie will be making many noises about lucrative deals in France I doubt very much Manu will want to leave Leicestershire. He's got a baby and I think his other half is a local with her family here, Manu has family here. Much easier coping with your first baby when surrounded by family, in a place you know and where everyone speaks the same language as you. A big pay rise isn't everything.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:30 pm
Stephen18 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:14 pm

Whilst I'm sure Freddie will be making many noises about lucrative deals in France I doubt very much Manu will want to leave Leicestershire. He's got a baby and I think his other half is a local with her family here, Manu has family here. Much easier coping with your first baby when surrounded by family, in a place you know and where everyone speaks the same language as you. A big pay rise isn't everything.
[My embolden]

You say that but Logo was in a similar position yet, for £50k pa, he went to a place where they don't speak the same language!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I’d move over the world for another £50pa!
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Isn't Henry over in France?

Manu should take it. 600k is a lot of money, and probably twice what I'd offer him on current form. He'll pay less tax over there as well.

Failing that; Worcester may take a pop on him.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TTRITH wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:35 am Isn't Henry over in France?

Manu should take it. 600k is a lot of money, and probably twice what I'd offer him on current form. He'll pay less tax over there as well.

Failing that; Worcester may take a pop on him.
Worcester’s have venter and Butler + Laurence coming up can’t see them offering big money.

I doubt that the 600k from Lyon is real either.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Let Manu go to Lyon, we can spend the money much better, as events have shown..
In truth Tigers have wasted five years hoping he is going to ''return'' to the Manu of old---- he hasnt, and he wont.
Sad fact of life , injuries are often a game changer
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Manu quite rightly when negotiating a new contract will do what is best for himself and his family. I am sure Tigers will make him an offer and it will be based on what value we can expect out of him, if he has proven his fitness it will be a better offer than if he hasn't shown a full recovery from his recent injury run. Should he stay and sustain further injury the Board and team managers will be castigated, probably by the same people that will criticise if he leaves and remains fit for someone else. Crystal ball anyone?
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

It's a short career, in Manu's case likely very short, and if he chose the massive payday I'd wish him well and thank him for the memories. As others have said it would break my heart if he went elsewhere in the Prem and suddenly rediscovered the form that made those memories in the first place.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:12 am I’d move over the world for another £50pa!
Yes but you're in Lincoln where, for fifty quid, you can get a couple of theatre tickets, a steak dinner and still have enough left over for a small family hatchback!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=johnthegriff post_id=698544 time=1539000802 user_id=7213]
Manu quite rightly when negotiating a new contract will do what is best for himself and his family. I am sure Tigers will make him an offer and it will be based on what value we can expect out of him, if he has proven his fitness it will be a better offer than if he hasn't shown a full recovery from his recent injury run. Should he stay and sustain further injury the Board and team managers will be castigated, probably by the same people that will criticise if he leaves and remains fit for someone else. Crystal ball anyone?
[/quote]

Nailed it!