Tigers v Warriors

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Warriors

Post by sapajo »

Tom Youngs, throw in on our 10m line defensive lineout is overthrown, caught by Worcester and a try is immediately conceded. Johnny May with minutes left on the clock, instead of hoofing the ball into touch from the Worcester restart, he decides its better to do his headless chicken cross pitch run from within our 10m line and gets tackled and turned over in front of the posts and as a result that directly leads to Worcesters winning try. These are two appallingly bad basic errors from two senior international players who frankly should and do no better but they still did it. :smt010
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

sapajo wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:50 pm Tom Youngs, throw in on our 10m line defensive lineout is overthrown, caught by Worcester and a try is immediately conceded. Johnny May with minutes left on the clock, instead of hoofing the ball into touch from the Worcester restart, he decides its better to do his headless chicken cross pitch run from within our 10m line and gets tackled and turned over in front of the posts and as a result that directly leads to Worcesters winning try. These are two appallingly bad basic errors from two senior international players who frankly should and do no better but they still did it. :smt010
Whether May running like a chicken across the pitch was right or wrong, surely he got turned over because we weren't quick enough to the breakdown and thus couldn't protect the ball.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

May will do that several times and get a massive gain in yards, as he has in the past
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:05 pm May will do that several times and get a massive gain in yards, as he has in the past
Its reckless inside your own 10 metre line to run sideways gaining zero yards and from which we lose a match as a result!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Coops wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:00 pm
sapajo wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:50 pm Tom Youngs, throw in on our 10m line defensive lineout is overthrown, caught by Worcester and a try is immediately conceded. Johnny May with minutes left on the clock, instead of hoofing the ball into touch from the Worcester restart, he decides its better to do his headless chicken cross pitch run from within our 10m line and gets tackled and turned over in front of the posts and as a result that directly leads to Worcesters winning try. These are two appallingly bad basic errors from two senior international players who frankly should and do no better but they still did it. :smt010
Whether May running like a chicken across the pitch was right or wrong, surely he got turned over because we weren't quick enough to the breakdown and thus couldn't protect the ball.
He got turned over because he was the last man in defence and gained zero ground against a chasing and comitted Worcester.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

sapajo wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:13 pm
Coops wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:00 pm
He got turned over because he was the last man in defence and gained zero ground against a chasing and comitted Worcester.
It was not the only time that Tigers were too lazy to get to the breakdown, other teams show a much higher level of commitment to do the hard work.
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

This didn’t happen. Yes May attempted the risky run but he wasn’t turned over. The ball was cleared into touch for a line out.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Tomvarndell wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:25 am
This didn’t happen. Yes May attempted the risky run but he wasn’t turned over. The ball was cleared into touch for a line out.
This.

It's one thing to criticise what looked a risky play, it's something else entirely to invent a scenario in which he lost us the game as a result.

Worcester had a lineout in Leicester's half - the same as they would have done if May had cleared immediately - and they scored from that.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Having just viewed the match highlights its clear that I am completely and utterly wrong for which I apologise completely. However, that said I am sure that the Tigers coaching staff will not ask May to repeat what he did prior to the clearance kick to touch.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

JP14 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:13 pm In Olowofela’s defence, Kalamafoni should’ve given him the ball a few more times earlier on in the game to let him settle in. Calling the mark was just inexperience on his part, he will learn.

England and Tigers will probably look into beefing him up a little bit in the off-season and preseason, as a skinny lad myself I feared for him every time he got tackled by the Worcester forwards.
I have it on good authority (my mate's wife's best friend's grand-daughter) that the powers-that-be are doing their level best to beef him up - to no avail!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I think you are right Loretta. I remember another skinny kid making his debut at full back in a game at Coventry, we thought he would be murdered every time he went into contact and despite the long range drop goal he scored we thought he had no future in the game unless he could muscle up and put on a couple of stones. I have to say Geordan didn't do too badly over the next fourteen years or so. Jordan Olowfela will be ok he just needs experience.
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wardy »

I agree. Said to my mate during Sunday's match that Jordan already has some of the eye-ball skills, with a bit of the confidence, of Geordan. OK the mark was an error but put that down to inexperience.
Give blood, play rugby!!
Christophelp

Post by Christophelp »

Wasn't overthrown.
The issue was a missed lift of Williams, who was in position to catch the ball unchallenged but he didn't get lifted correctly.

Looking on the full match replay, it looks like the front lifter (Bateman) dummied to lift Kitchener and then for some reason (timing maybe) moved out of the line out instead of lifting Williams. Cole (the lifter behind Williams) seems to have been in the correct position.

Had Williams been successfully lifted he'd have caught the ball easily - which is why I'm saying that it wasn't an overthrow by Youngs.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Like me you are entitled to your opinion but do not present it as fact.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Don't think anybody else has mentioned it so it's probably me but just before the first Worcester try, player brought down with a tackle short of the line, gets to his feet without appearing to release and regather the ball and then passes for the try to be scored. Isn't not releasing the ball on being brought to ground by a tackle an offence?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game