Coaching Staff

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

milesanderson
Tiger Cub

Coaching Staff

Post by milesanderson »

There's an inherent problem with the way we're playing and it starts with the coaching staff. To be beaten by Worcester when we have such a star studded side is unbelievable . Having got rid of O'Connor we must now look to getting rid of everyone else and getting someone like Cockerill or perhaps Ali Hepher with a hard edged attitude to the game, before it's too late and we find ourselves at the bottom of the table.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Coaching Staff

Post by RagingBull »

No it starts with the BOD, Cohen and Glynn.

The suggesting of bringing in someone like cockers or Hepher as top dog is IMO systematic to the problem Tigers have been having for the past 8 or so years.
The idea that a coach like that is on stand by right now is laughable.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

For me the coaching is just one of three reasons we are underperforming.

1) Agree with the coching, we simply haven’t had the quality or quantity of coaching staff for the last six years. Plus the coaching staff should be a team and it appears at Tigers the coaches are all fragmented without a coherent strategy with how they want us to play collectively. There appears to be no collective buy in to the direction Tigers should be heading in their play style. We lack any identity in how we want to be playing the game, unlike Saracens, Exeter, Wasps etc.

2) The recruitment has been terrible and I include the retention of players in that statement. It’s almost criminal that Slater is playing for another team when we clearly lack leadership and some grunt. Who in their right mind authorised this transfer. Plus the debacle of Toomua and TPN which obviously hasn’t worked out in the long term.

3) You look at Saracens and Exeter and their seniors players are also their best players who lead by example. Cole, Tom Youngs, Tuilagi, where are they leading by example and laying down a marker of what’s acceptable in a Tigers jersey. All three players should have been dragging the team through but seemed to be having the opposite affect.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Perhaps the Young brothers, Manu, Cole and George Ford as senior players have to much input into the way Tigers play and don't carry out the coaches instructions, if that the case time to drop them and give some of the younger players a chance to stake their claim to more game time.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

George ford was the best player on the pitch IMO.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:48 pm For me the coaching is just one of three reasons we are underperforming.

1) Agree with the coching, we simply haven’t had the quality or quantity of coaching staff for the last six years. Plus the coaching staff should be a team and it appears at Tigers the coaches are all fragmented without a coherent strategy with how they want us to play collectively. There appears to be no collective buy in to the direction Tigers should be heading in their play style. We lack any identity in how we want to be playing the game, unlike Saracens, Exeter, Wasps etc.

2) The recruitment has been terrible and I include the retention of players in that statement. It’s almost criminal that Slater is playing for another team when we clearly lack leadership and some grunt. Who in their right mind authorised this transfer. Plus the debacle of Toomua and TPN which obviously hasn’t worked out in the long term.

3) You look at Saracens and Exeter and their seniors players are also their best players who lead by example. Cole, Tom Youngs, Tuilagi, where are they leading by example and laying down a marker of what’s acceptable in a Tigers jersey. All three players should have been dragging the team through but seemed to be having the opposite affect.
1. Yes
2. Yes - Slater should be our captain.
3. Yes. It's wrong to single out individuals for either censure or praise - it's a team game - but I'd add Ben Youngs to the ranks of 'senior player who doesn't turn up when really needed' and I'd point to Guy Thompson who actually seems to care and show some passion.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Well we top the stats by one measure. Most points against. Speaks volumes.
I'm not cynical just experienced
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

chewbacca wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:16 pm Well we top the stats by one measure. Most points against. Speaks volumes.
Need some experience in the defence coach role. Murphy has revitalised our attacking game and our lineout sounded better today (few steals as well). Rolling maul try, scrum is decent. We're just conceding far too many tries. That has to stop.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:26 pm
chewbacca wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:16 pm Well we top the stats by one measure. Most points against. Speaks volumes.
Need some experience in the defence coach role. Murphy has revitalised our attacking game and our lineout sounded better today (few steals as well). Rolling maul try, scrum is decent. We're just conceding far too many tries. That has to stop.
Lineout was better, apart from the glaring exception in our own 22 of the ball being thrown straight over the back and allowing
Wuss to virtually just flop over for a try.

Pathetic. Embarrassing.

I don't know, or care, whether it was down to the thrower, lifters, jumpers or timing - it was a cow's behind. And it didn't look like the players knew what had gone wrong either.

Cant blame the coaches for that one IMO, but I do agree that things need to change and sooner rather than later.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:15 pmI'd point to Guy Thompson who actually seems to care and show some passion.
It was both great and hugely annoying to see him trying to put some belief and direction into the pack. Great to see he cares so much for his new team, team mates, club and supporters.

Annoying that it takes a new face (and in the nicest way - an ex Wasp) to be geeing the players up and telling the old hands what needed to be done to pull their fingers out.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:15 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:48 pm For me the coaching is just one of three reasons we are underperforming.

1. Yes
2. Yes - Slater should be our captain.
3. Yes. It's wrong to single out individuals for either censure or praise - it's a team game - but I'd add Ben Youngs to the ranks of 'senior player who doesn't turn up when really needed' and I'd point to Guy Thompson who actually seems to care and show some passion.
+1 (like)
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:37 pm
strawclearer wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:15 pmI'd point to Guy Thompson who actually seems to care and show some passion.
It was both great and hugely annoying to see him trying to put some belief and direction into the pack. Great to see he cares so much for his new team, team mates, club and supporters.

Annoying that it takes a new face (and in the nicest way - an ex Wasp) to be geeing the players up and telling the old hands what needed to be done to pull their fingers out.
Maybe a new faces across the coaching staff is the answer then?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

We lost Ed Slater, who sure has played well for Gloucester and it was a real shame we lost him, but we got Jonny May who has since developed himself into one of the best wingers in the Northern hemisphere, arguably even World Class, cemented a place in the England team and I’m sure people on here will agree that his try was real class and speed.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:12 pm George ford was the best player on the pitch IMO.
+1
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Three things need sorting out extremely quickly. DEFENCE DEFENCE DEFENCE.

We need a defensive system that all understand and buy into and we need it yesterday. If we can't get an outsider in quickly then give it to an insider as their sole responsibility whilst we find someone. Ant Allen or Brett Deacon seem the obvious choices to me.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!