happywomble

Spencer banned for four weeks

Post by happywomble »

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Spencer banned for four weeks

Post by Hot_Charlie »

DIsappointing, but when you read the guidelines and see that the high tackle (even one that starts legally) attracts the same sanction as punching an opponent, you despair just a little bit.

Scapegoat.
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Not sure how it differs to George Smith's red card, which saw no further sanction. May have to youtube it and look. Bed now though.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

"He was not eligible for the full credit due to his not guilty plea."

That stinks. First red card but he still gets extra punishment for genuinely believing he was innocent.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:53 pmThat stinks. First red card but he still gets extra punishment for having the temerity to question an official's decision.
:smt002 :smt002

Got to make an example out of the non-conformist....

Let's hope there's continuity in future judgements... yeah, right.

4 weeks for an accidental contact? All been said here before, Taylor dropping into the tackle, split second to adjust (despite what higher sentient beings preach here). Farce.
happywomble wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:52 pmNot sure how it differs to George Smith's red card, which saw no further sanction. May have to youtube it and look. Bed now though.
Wasn't one of the factors that helped Smith was Jackson Wray giving evidence in his (Smith's) favour? (to do with the tackle just being so forceful it snapped his head back), I wonder if anything similar was forthcoming from Taylor on behalf of Spencer. Not necessarily saying it should have, just wondering if the Wasp gave, or was asked to give, any contribution - within his 'off field references'..
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
technologus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by technologus »

If anything, George Smith's tackle looks a bit worse
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I'm going to upset a few no doubt but I really couldn't care less at present.
The Tigers goggles need to come off as personally I've had enough of the blind leading the blind.
It's clearly different to George Smith's tackle but also the lack of remorse is damning.
The reaction at the time was wrong, it disrespected the referee and it disrespected the game.
There is a huge difference between explaining your case but admitting that you got caught out and made a mistake and apologising for it and on the other hand not accepting any responsibility at all.
I would've thought there was someone able to go with the player and help to put forward a respectable case for a better outcome but judging by the length of ban it would appear not.
It reflects the goings on over the past couple of years at Leicester in my opinion.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I've just watched the Smith incident back on YouTube, having not seen it previously, and on first glance it looks to be worse than that of Spencer on Taylor, in my opinion at least.

BFG - not sure what you're meaning regarding a disrespectful reaction. From watching the Spencer incident and the immediate aftermath he heard what Sir had to say, didn't appear (to me) to argue and left the field. There was no backchat, no remonstrating (as you'd see in football) and he left the field. I'm not sure exactly what you're expecting? I do remember Tom Young's speaking with Sir, in his role as captain - which he's entirely entitled to do.

While I appreciate that protecting player welfare is paramount, some balance needs to be found. It's also going to be interesting to see what inconsistencies come out from the next ban that's handed out for future incidents.

I also have to ask, if it was that serious to warrant a red and a four week ban, have the Wasps medical staff and.the ref not been negligent in not taking Taylor from the field/ref insisting he's taken from the field for a HIA?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Absolute farce, no doubt about that.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:33 am I've just watched the Smith incident back on YouTube, having not seen it previously, and on first glance it looks to be worse than that of Spencer on Taylor, in my opinion at least.

BFG - not sure what you're meaning regarding a disrespectful reaction. From watching the Spencer incident and the immediate aftermath he heard what Sir had to say, didn't appear (to me) to argue and left the field. There was no backchat, no remonstrating (as you'd see in football) and he left the field. I'm not sure exactly what you're expecting? I do remember Tom Young's speaking with Sir, in his role as captain - which he's entirely entitled to do.

While I appreciate that protecting player welfare is paramount, some balance needs to be found. It's also going to be interesting to see what inconsistencies come out from the next ban that's handed out for future incidents.

I also have to ask, if it was that serious to warrant a red and a four week ban, have the Wasps medical staff and.the ref not been negligent in not taking Taylor from the field/ref insisting he's taken from the field for a HIA?
LLTC, I've read that any contact with the head was denied at the hearing.
Taking everything else out of the scenario, denying any contact with the head at all is just ludicrous and reflects arrogantly.
He didn't deserve four weeks and has been let down by a lack of sensible guidance in my opinion.
That is reflected in everything recently, the constant coaching sackings, the skipper saying what he did to the referee at the time live on T.V, the coach laughing at it etc, everything.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tom Youngs: “Rugby’s changed!”

Oh my lord the heresy 😱😱 how dare he.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

There is another example of that arrogance at it's finest!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I thought Smith’s incident was different: more force, no wrapping of the shoulders but importantly no contact to the head. With Spencer as thought his shoulder made contact with his collar bone before sliding up to the neck. However considering the mitigating factors of height and that no injury was caused, surely the red card and perhaps a week would have been enough?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I’m assuming as per normal the clubs solicitor and a member of the coaching team will have accompanied the player and they will have discussed their strategy, the lateness of t he verdict indicates a long hearing.

2 things firstly what happened to innocent till proven guilty, from what I’ve read you hold your hand up to a fair cop guv and you get a shorter sentence, try and prove your innocence and you get double, doesn’t quite read right.

Secondly I agree with whoever used the term Scapegoat. The rfu were never going to let 2 cards be over turned it would have been anarchy. They have now drawn a line in the sand a precedent has been set and I fully anticipate an increase in the number of red cards over the season.

No point in appealing there was contact with the head whether initially or not and there is no new evidence.
The club will move on hopefully Fitzgerald and Kitchener will be fit to provide options with Wells and Williams
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

BFG wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:57 am There is another example of that arrogance at it's finest!
I'd try not to listen to the Crumbie terrace on Sunday then; I predict there'll be arrogant chants of, "Off! Off! Off!" Any time a Worcester player gets anywhere near a Tiger head...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere