Wasps Vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Wasps Vs Tigers

Post by RagingBull »

Reffell is fit from what I gather, he's at least training.

Murphy just can't win can he, he selects youngsters on the bench but not the right ones.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Big Dai wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:32 pm Pleased to see the academy guys get a shout.

We have injuries and the second row is a worry for me as the line out has been frail, and we've no genuine 7. I'm sure Mike can heave in a scrum.

What can't be helped must be endured.

Remy still poised. Finger still crossed.
From what I gather from the Wasps fans who look at stats, Thompson hit the most rucks and made the most steals for them when he was on the pitch. So he should be fine at 7.
ghdav27

Post by ghdav27 »

Didn't Thompson say his favoured position was 7?
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

I don't think we will lose anything with Thompson at 7. Players are always especially up for playing against their old mates and he will know individual habits that might give him a bit of an edge.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:32 pm Reffell is fit from what I gather, he's at least training.

Murphy just can't win can he, he selects youngsters on the bench but not the right ones.
Keep 'blooding' the youngsters IMO. Good to see Gareth Owen back. I really hope that this past week has been spent on sorting out some kind of defence, otherwise I can see Wasps put on a good score. Another bad defensive performance this weekend and the fat lady will have started to gargle and warm up her voice for a sad end to the Tigers season in all competitions.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Wasps' defence hasn't exactly been watertight either....
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Nick Mullins just tweeted...

"27, 27, 19, 24, 20, 20, 19, 20. The ages on that Leicester bench. Geordan Murphy telling us he’ll back Tigers’ cubs"

Good!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

ghdav27 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:47 pm Didn't Thompson say his favoured position was 7?
He's a good openside. He played a lot there for Wasps, and if it was not for the fact that Thomas Young and Jack Willis were so outstanding in the position then he'd have played a lot more.

As it happens, with Wasps' injuries he's certainly the best openside available in both squads. Don't think there will be any worries there, unless he gets injured.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

strawclearer wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:34 pm Nick Mullins just tweeted...

"27, 27, 19, 24, 20, 20, 19, 20. The ages on that Leicester bench. Geordan Murphy telling us he’ll back Tigers’ cubs"

Good!
Five starters came out of the Tigers' academy, and seven of the subs.

It would be good to see a few of those kids coming off the bench and playing a part.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Wondered about Mapalangi, is he injured, going on loan or leaving?
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

I must admit I’ve not seen anything of Sam Lewis. Checked his stats on the website and he’s certainly big enough for this level even at his age. 6’5” and nigh on 18 stone. You wouldn’t think he’s going to get steam rollered by anyone.

Be interesting to see if he’s a decent line out jumper and how he copes with the added intensity, particularly at the breakdown. I’m optimistic.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I'd have thought we might have learned some lessons from the Exeter game with regard to picking players who are not fit or lack match practice . Has Owen ever lasted a full game for tigers ? I'd much prefer Hardwick on from the start - as I said , he played well last week and is more up to speed than Owen in terms of match fitness .
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

MikeR wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:24 pm If Simmons is fit I'm amazed that White has been preferred ahead of him . Equally puzzled that Hardwick has not been given another go at 12 - did well last week and at least his pairing with tuilagi had a bit of practice . Still , if Owen lasts as long as usual he'll be on fairly soon in the game .
Maybe GM wasn’t planning on giving Hardwick 50+ minutes game time last week? Management of our young players in the higher level environment of the Premiership is just as important as giving them game time.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Interesting selections, Harrison probably picked up a niggle in training or something. Love the fact that Heyes has been selected on the bench, Mapapalangi injured? Sam Lewis will probably come on for Kalamafoni or Denton and will swap with Mike Williams, from what I hear Fred Tuilagi struggled in the A League so having Lewis over him is a good call.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:37 pm Interesting selections, Harrison probably picked up a niggle in training or something. Love the fact that Heyes has been selected on the bench, Mapapalangi injured? Sam Lewis will probably come on for Kalamafoni or Denton and will swap with Mike Williams, from what I hear Fred Tuilagi struggled in the A League so having Lewis over him is a good call.
Why does Harrison have to be injured for him to not get picked on the bench? Perhaps Ben White has performed better in training this week.