Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Tigers Vs Worcester Cavaliers - Prem Shield

Post by WhitecapTiger »

https://www.leicestertigers.com/match/p ... 76b6d26a94
Leicester Tigers Development XV (v Worcester Cavaliers, Loughborough University, Monday 7.30pm)

15 Robbie Povey (Coventry)
14 James Neal (Coventry)
13 Sam Aspland-Robinson
12 George Worth (c)
11 Jonah Holmes
10 Joe Ford
9 Ben White
1 Facundo Gigena
2 Ross McMillan
3 Joe Heyes
4 Cameron Jordan
5 Sam Lewis
6 Thom Smith
7 Taylor Gough
8 Freddie Tuilagi

Replacements

16 Jake Kerr
17 Keston Lines
18 James Gallagher (Loughborough Students)
19 Cameron Gray (Coventry)
20 Harry Mahoney
21 Will Flinn (Coventry)
22 Isaac McNulty (Coventry)
23 Sam Wager (Doncaster Academy)

See what transpires but not sure if this means no chance for Jonah Holmes at the weekend at Wasps - time will tell.

Nice 12/13 combination if it works out.

Worcester Cavaliers: 15 Nick David, 14 Tom Howe, 13 Ollie Lawrence, 12 Joe Margetts (Hartpury), 11 Mason Tonks (Hartpury), 10 Luke Scully, 9 Luke Baldwin; 1 Kai Owen, 2 Beck Cutting, 3 Gareth Milasinovich, 4 James Scott, 5 Rob Fuller (Hartpury), 6 Ted Hill, 7 Carl Kirwan, 8 Matt Cox

Replacements: 16 Jordan Liney (Hartpury), 17 Nick Rigby, 18 Farai Mudariki, 19 Tom Dodd, 20 Zac Xiourouppa, 21 Sean O’Sullivan (Birmingham & Solihull), 22 Ollie Walker (Birmingham & Solihull), 23 Ervin Muric (Hartpury)
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers Vs Worcester Cavaliers - Prem Shield

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Interesting to see recently released Sam Wager in the 23 too. I wonder if although released from the academy we’re keeping a close eye on him. He did feature in the AWC last year.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Ollie Lawrence will be a handful at 13.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:00 pm Interesting to see recently released Sam Wager in the 23 too. I wonder if although released from the academy we’re keeping a close eye on him. He did feature in the AWC last year.
I think we keep an eye on a lot of players who leave to non Prem clubs.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:45 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:00 pm Interesting to see recently released Sam Wager in the 23 too. I wonder if although released from the academy we’re keeping a close eye on him. He did feature in the AWC last year.
I think we keep an eye on a lot of players who leave to non Prem clubs.
Indeed. Interesting to see him involved again so soon though. :smt001
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Warriors twitter feed is excellent giving minute by minute updates https://twitter.com/WorcsWarriors
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Oh Dear, lost again. Don't know what the relative strengths were like, but not good to lose to Worcs.

Quins beating Briz easily, big TH prop.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Great start, got ourselves out to a 14-0 lead and then afterwards it seemed like we sat back on it a bit - maybe a bit unfair from me.

Kicking from hand was generally poor, 9&10, straight to the Wuss back 3 or out on the full including a kick to the corner that went dead in goal - not accounting for the wind (quite breezy across the pitch) or trying to just go too far.

Decision making seemed off too, not really knowing when to kick and when not to, keeping ball in hand a bit more might have helped. Winning the ball back after Wuss pressure then kicking it straight away - unnecessarily at times, happened a few times up around the halfway line when we had players over in attack.

Starting pack looked good enough but the scrum was shoved around a bit by Wuss, Freddie under pressure a lot on our own ball at 8 - seemed to pack down at blindside for defensive scrums.

Wuss backs were quick and ran some good lines, 2 of their tries (one first half one second) were excellent execution, exploiting space/gaps with good running lines. Us falling off a tackle here or there may have contributed a little.

Their other first half try (the first) was an interception from a George Worth pass, just didn't seem to see the danger and they had a clear run in. On the subject of Worth, pulled up in first half following a tackle on him, was hobbling about a bit, carried on but was later sat on the bench with ice strapped to the front/rear of left knee.

With the clock dead Wuss got a penalty and decided to scrum again running the ball through phases until crossing the line for another try at the death - which they clearly wanted, hence the scrum rather than kicking out for the win. Conversion was blocked to rescue a LBP for Tigers.

Ben white came off injured - I think, certainly heavily strapped leg - think that was from start of the game.

Jonah Holmes played about 74 minutes, good carries into contact, decent tackling that I saw.

Sam Aspland-Robinson looked quick, put in some good carries/hits, although I'd liked to have seen him back himself and go all out for the line when he broke through in the first half, seemed to slow down waiting for support (way off bar one player) an that allowed Wuss cover to get over, not sure if they would have done otherwise - maybe/maybe not.

It wasn't completely demoralising or doom and gloom but just lacked some organisation. Compared with last week where we played well - despite losing - against a more experienced Saints side we were just not as good tonight, some of that has to go down to ringers and maybe a weaker bench than last week. Better decision making (to kick or not to kick) and no interception try for Wuss and we may be talking about a win. If the Wuss place kicker was better (or it was less windy) then they may have had more points as well.

Maybe others who went would have seen things differently - all IMO.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I thought Wuss scored five tries.
Leicester scored two tries, three penalties and a drop goal.
Wuss were the better side, as Saints were last week, but the effort can't be faulted for Leicester!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Worcester changes seemed to strengthen their pack Leicester's didn't. I liked the fact that at the very end we charged the conversion and saved the our LB that showed commitment. Couldn't fault the team for effort, we just weren't good enough on the day. Enjoyable game!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

BFG wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:29 am I thought Wuss scored five tries.
They did, post edited, bit of confusion on my part - not unknown!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:47 am
BFG wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:29 am I thought Wuss scored five tries.
They did, post edited, bit of confusion on my part - not unknown!
To be totally honest I wasn't that sure myself, there was a very nice lady nearby!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

interesting that 5 of our 23 are listed as Coventry players ... is this retaliation for Wasps recent digging in our potato patch, or are these just old loyalties prior Wasps cheeky move north bound in search of lusher pastures?
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

mightymouse wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:22 am interesting that 5 of our 23 are listed as Coventry players ... is this retaliation for Wasps recent digging in our potato patch, or are these just old loyalties prior Wasps cheeky move north bound in search of lusher pastures?
It may also have to do with the fact that a certain Louis Deacon is forwards coach.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

No love lost between Coventry and the insects too