Brollies

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

VernonAtrium

Brollies

Post by VernonAtrium »

Just a heads-up for everyone, on the way out of the Crumbie after today's game, my 75 year-old father was told off by a steward for carrying an umbrella, which he was using as a walking stick. He calls it his 'utility brolly.' Apparently, he shouldn't have been allowed into the ground with it and there are new rules prohibiting the presence of umbrellas throughout Welford Road.

We didn't let the experience spoil our evening, of course, and took the opportunity to suggest to said steward that her enthusiasm and efficiency would be more useful at the turnstiles, where bag searches appear to be voluntary and cursory. During our brief and pleasant conversation, several other fans walked past, also carrying umbrellas. Looks like Ms. steward has a job of work still to do, much like our beloved team.

In case I've posted this in the wrong forum, I'll end on something rugby-related and congratulate the team on their performance today.
VernonAtrium

Re: Brollies

Post by VernonAtrium »

Also, anyone know why Tom Varndell was wandering down the Saff after the game?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

WAsnt aware of this. To me there is more danger of poking someone’s eye out or blocking the view of other spectators
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

As long as he didn't open the umbrella in the stand I don't see the problem. I presume that is why they are discouraging them.

Don't know why Tom Varndell was there, maybe meeting up with some old friends. Someone told me Stuart Lancaster was also in the crowd.
RoaringTiger

Post by RoaringTiger »

The Stuart Lancaster thing was just a hoax on Twitter as someone poster a photo from 5 years ago of SL at the ground, in reply to Austin Healey suggesting SL could be an option for the roll of DOR
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

VernonAtrium wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:56 pm Just a heads-up for everyone, on the way out of the Crumbie after today's game, my 75 year-old father was told off by a steward for carrying an umbrella, which he was using as a walking stick. He calls it his 'utility brolly.' Apparently, he shouldn't have been allowed into the ground with it and there are new rules prohibiting the presence of umbrellas throughout Welford Road.

We didn't let the experience spoil our evening, of course, and took the opportunity to suggest to said steward that her enthusiasm and efficiency would be more useful at the turnstiles, where bag searches appear to be voluntary and cursory. During our brief and pleasant conversation, several other fans walked past, also carrying umbrellas. Looks like Ms. steward has a job of work still to do, much like our beloved team.

In case I've posted this in the wrong forum, I'll end on something rugby-related and congratulate the team on their performance today.
I find this strange as several umbrellas were on display at the pre season Irish game and Tigers Shop sell umbrellas - http://store.leicestertigers.com/stores ... ester-tige
and the bigger ones to block out more on the terrace! - http://store.leicestertigers.com/stores ... gers,gifts
Obviously Elf & Safety, although one steward unzipped the Tigers cushions today by the Crumbie presumably looking for guns or illicit Newcastle Brown. :smt017
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

I think there was an ex-platers dinner according to Steve Johnson during Radio Leicester commentary. I presume Tom Varndell may have been at the dinner?
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Offside wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:13 pm I think there was an ex-platers dinner
Is that a Plater? Waiter? or Player's dinner???? Blasted auto text! :smt003
Tom Varndell has a two year contract with Pro D2 side Angouleme Charente.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RoaringTiger wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:48 pm The Stuart Lancaster thing was just a hoax on Twitter as someone poster a photo from 5 years ago of SL at the ground, in reply to Austin Healey suggesting SL could be an option for the roll of DOR
Well that's a relief.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

The Drogs were meeting up at 6pm to unveil a plaque in Tudor's memory in their bar so suspect Tom had attended that.
Hehehehehehehehe