Supporters forum tonight

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Supporters forum tonight

Post by ellis9 »

CEO Simon Cohen is addressing the room ahead of tonight's Open Supporters Forum at Welford Road:

"We had a review over the summer ahead of the new season and recommendations were made following that. The opportunity was given to the coach and staff to implement these, but it was felt that unfortunately recommendations weren't implemented."

"Given the squad we had out at Exeter and to be beaten like that, the board felt it had no option but to act as it did. Clearly, Saturday was not acceptable."

"There is no intention, unless the wheels completely fall off, to make any further change. Every opportunity will be given to Geordie to make the most of the role."
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Supporters forum tonight

Post by ellis9 »

Interim Head Coach Geordan Murphy is handed the microphone to address the room after his recent appointment:

"I want to start fresh from today. I love this club, I'm very passionate about this club."

"Get behind the team and the boys as we look to get back on track."

"If anything, I would ask that you judge us on this weekend's performance."
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

Keep up the good work
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Q: When players who turn down the club in negotiations do so, what is their main reason?

CEO Simon Cohen has the microphone.

A: I've not come across anybody who has not come for any other reason than the money. Players want to come to Tigers. It's a pretty short career and the money, unfortunately, plays a major role.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:20 pm Interim Head Coach Geordan Murphy is handed the microphone to address the room after his recent appointment:

"I want to start fresh from today. I love this club, I'm very passionate about this club."

"Get behind the team and the boys as we look to get back on track."

"If anything, I would ask that you judge us on this weekend's performance."
Saying Judge us on this weekend is pretty brave!!!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Geordan Murphy has been handed the microphone for the next question.

Q: How do we hold on to players instead of seeing them go on and "tear up trees" in the Premiership for other clubs?

A: It's a balancing act about developing players and keeping them playing ... blooding them and giving them opportunities. Some will go for game time and / or the extra hundreds of thousands of pounds at other clubs.

Not all players were ready for first team rugby at Tigers when they decided to leave and it's difficult to hold on to them if they're offered it elsewhere.

It's a different case now and you don't want to put too many young players out who may lose and it end up detrimental to them. You want to blood young talent in winning sides, who learn to win with Tigers and go on from there.

I wish they were all still here, as a Tigers man, but it is a really difficult thing to do.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

CEO Simon Cohen responds to a question regarding the recent announcement that Matt Toomua will return to Australia at the end of the season.

Q: Can you elaborate on the Matt Toomua situation?

A: We signed Matt on a three-year contract initially ... we would have liked to have gone longer if we could, but he wouldn't because of the possibility of a World Cup.

He didn't play much in the first year and we offered another year as we felt we were owed a year. He's a good bloke Matt and he accepted it, but he always wanted to keep the option open to play in a World Cup.

Ultimately the lure of a World Cup was too much and we couldn't negotiate a contract before that which excluded that opportunity.

Ged Glynn adds to the response after the addition of Tatafu Polota-Nau's situation to the question.

A: Under IRB rules, if a nation calls on an international player he has to be made available to play.

Regarding a like for like signing for Toomua, we have some names and conversations open with agents regarding replacements.

CEO Simon Cohen jumps in with an addition response.

A: Kyle Eastmond is a pretty good signing and addition to this squad, which we should be excited about. Looking at at whether we will sign an international standard player, yes, but will it be at centre I am not sure.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

The next question addresses the rising debt across the Premiership and whether the club can compete with the clubs who have strong financial backers behind them.

CEO Simon Cohen responds.

My feelings on the Premiership and rising wages and costs are well known. I'm sorry to see it is going this way across the game.

At the moment, it is hurting the club but not hurting the rugby programme. If salaries rise again, it might and will be something that we certainly have to look at.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Q: Where do we stand on loaning players out and dual-registration? How does it impact the salary cap and teams we field in the Premiership Cup and Shield?

Ged Glynn will respond to the question.

We entered in to an agreement with Loughborough University about loaning players out to get match experience, including youngsters like Harry Simmons and Joe Heyes.

The Premiership has since decided to double the size of the A League programme. With salaries going the way they have, our squad is smaller but playing commitments remain the same.

As we stand at the moment, we only have 2 players on loan - James Voss at Coventry and Charlie Thacker at Nottingham.

Ideally we would have all of our players playing in Tigers colours in various competitions ... but the current climate unfortunately makes it difficult to do that.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

The final question before the break is about contracts and directed at Ged Glynn and Geordan Murphy.

Q: When we release players mid-contract does it cost us money or impact on the salary cap? When those players go, how does it impact the environment and players in the squad?

Ged Glynn up first...
When you contract players in it's done 12-18 months in advance and, as the past few days have shown, changing environments and changes in coaches incoming and outgoing and their plans can change the look of a squad. Yes, it does come out of your cap.

Secondly, Geordan Murphy...
Sometimes it's the best thing for players to leave, whatever the reason may be, and if the decision is the best for the team those in the squad understand it and see the benefit of it.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:20 pm Interim Head Coach Geordan Murphy is handed the microphone to address the room after his recent appointment:
After a well deserved round of applause from the room I hasten to add.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Can someone ask about Spencer’s fitness please?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Can the club get value for money out of Matt Toomua and Tatafu Polota-Nau for the remainder of the season?

CEO Simon Cohen offers Dusty Hare the chance to respond but is politely handed back the microphone to answer.

When they were both signed, everybody involved was of the view he wouldn't go away. We can't exclude the right because it's a World Rugby regulation. Can we get value? Yes, I believe we can.

Can we get as much value as if they were here all the time? Of course not. It was a significant blow when they decided to go back and play for Australia, but yes we can get value from them.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Q: Geordan Murphy, what does success look like for you this season?

A: I think we need to get back in the play offs and if we get back in to them, we have a good enough squad to beat any other team involved. That is my genuine belief, that is what I am telling the players. If we don't, that to me is failure.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Q: How do we stay out in front of innovation?

Geordan Murphy will respond.

A: I was lucky enough to spend time with Wayne Smith some years back in New Zealand and he passed on various pieces of advice to me, one being that when laws change it's good to sit down and discuss how it can benefit your team.

I'm very willing to listen to people, I enjoy talking to people and am very open to all ideas.

For the last few years, we have been lacking in passion and heart which was the forefront of the club when I was young, coming through and firstly I want to see that back.