Times comment on Ford etc

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Times comment on Ford etc

Post by markharbtiger »

Alex Lowe for the Times today reported Ford under instructions to kick at Exeter in last Saturday’s game. If true, this explains a lot!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Times comment on Ford etc

Post by kpj tiger »

markharbtiger wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:10 pm Alex Lowe for the Times today reported Ford under instructions to kick at Exeter in last Saturday’s game. If true, this explains a lot!
I think it was pretty obvious it was part of a rigid game plan, I've never understood why we decided to get Ford who is probably only challenged by Cipriani as an attacking 10 and then make him play like a budget Andy Goode :smt009
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:00 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:10 pm Alex Lowe for the Times today reported Ford under instructions to kick at Exeter in last Saturday’s game. If true, this explains a lot!
I think it was pretty obvious it was part of a rigid game plan, I've never understood why we decided to get Ford who is probably only challenged by Cipriani as an attacking 10 and then make him play like a budget Andy Goode :smt009
The inisistence of the rigid game plan may be the ultimate reason MO’C had to go. I am looking forward to seeing Tigers Unleashed from now on.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

teds wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:08 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:00 pm
The inisistence of the rigid game plan may be the ultimate reason MO’C had to go. I am looking forward to seeing Tigers Unleashed from now on.
Agreed, if we can get the likes of YBY, Fordy, Toomua and Eastmond playing what is in front of them rather than a strict gameplan I think we could really be effective
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Agreed, if we can get the likes of YBY, Fordy, Toomua and Eastmond playing what is in front of them rather than a strict gameplan I think we could really be effective
[/quote]

It's where we were trying to go under Mauger. Unfortunately we didn't have enough power in the forwards to get going forward or win enough ball to be able to unleash the backs effectively. I certainly believe we have that power now and that Geordan will want to take that forward. With the quartet mentioned above plus Manu's power, the elusiveness of Telusa and the out and out pace and finishing ability of the likes of May, Holmes and Olowofela it's a mouth-watering prospect. The final game of last season against Sale showed what we are capable of and as I intimated our squad is stronger now. We have the players it's up to the coaches to inspire them with the correct game plan(s) and defensive and set piece systems. Let's hope they can do it.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Agreed. We watched Ford as a youngster during the World Cup ( and I hope those watching the game on TV) saw the real George Ford. The lad can play and can kick very well. Hopefully, under Geordan leadership he can be given free reign to play what is in front of him ( I grew up watching Dusty and Les Cusworth- different era I know) and with Eastmond on board, then with TV, May, Thomo, Holmes, Chadwick etc ( and of course Bateman!)he should be able to produce some exciting rugby. The pack, which has the talent,but at the moment is way behind most packs in the Premiership, must be determined to provide quick ball. George Ford is an excellent player but probably showed too much respect to Matt O’Connors’ kicking tactics!
cape

Post by cape »

One of the many tragic parts about the Exeter game is the fact that the squad out there was pretty good! As someone stated previously those backs should fizzle and as someone else pointed out Mauger tried that without the pack.

I for one think the players recruited in the row and back row have actually improved us, as instead of relying on Genge and Kala to break the gain line, we have added Spencer, Thompson and Denton (who glad to see proved some doubters wrong on Saturday). Hopefully Geordan will get the team moving forward as that whole kicking tactic was an abject failure and does not play to our strengths
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

cape wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:04 am One of the many tragic parts about the Exeter game is the fact that the squad out there was pretty good! As someone stated previously those backs should fizzle and as someone else pointed out Mauger tried that without the pack.

I for one think the players recruited in the row and back row have actually improved us, as instead of relying on Genge and Kala to break the gain line, we have added Spencer, Thompson and Denton (who glad to see proved some doubters wrong on Saturday). Hopefully Geordan will get the team moving forward as that whole kicking tactic was an abject failure and does not play to our strengths
I agree with your second paragraph but not the first.
Unfortunately Manu didn't look like a player to fizzle in the outside channels my opinion.
I would be tempted to play him as a 12 with Eastmond at 13.
Yes inside centre is a key defensive position but Manu does possess the awareness for it in my opinion, it's the pace in the outside channels that is often rushing him at outside centre.
cape

Post by cape »

He can be the exception that proves the rule :smt002

In fairness I didn't particularly want him playing - no way was he ready to start. He needs games coming of the bench, or use the A League to bring his fitness up. Certainly not a 12, he already flies out the line like a mad man
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

cape wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:35 am He can be the exception that proves the rule :smt002

In fairness I didn't particularly want him playing - no way was he ready to start. He needs games coming of the bench, or use the A League to bring his fitness up. Certainly not a 12, he already flies out the line like a mad man
I think he flies out like a mad man at 13 to counter the pace and footwork against him.
He is more of a 12 now in my opinion.
He is also very strong over the ball which in midfield is a huge asset.
We shall see how Newcastle handle him.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

we'll see how we handle Nikki Goneva this time round ... I seriously hope there's a plan this time
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:44 am
cape wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:35 am He can be the exception that proves the rule :smt002

I think he flies out like a mad man at 13 to counter the pace and footwork against him.
It looked like he was flying out the line Vs Chiefs because Toomua was biting in all the time leaving a big gap between 12 and wing for Manu to fill. He was trying to blitz to stop Chris going wide and exposing the space.
cape

Post by cape »

He does it quite often, it isn't a one game phenomenon. On his return last year he did the same
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

cape wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:23 pm He does it quite often, it isn't a one game phenomenon. On his return last year he did the same
Undeniably. Against Chiefs it was very pronounced and much less effective because of Toomua biting in as Chiefs ran lots of big bodies down the 10 channel with our forwards not in position to offer support.

Hopefully we'll see a more organised defensive line this weekend and Eastmond will keep Manu in line. Manu played best alongside Allen who really led the defensive line, he was very vocal and I don't think Eastmond will be a shrinking violet in that regard.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:00 pm
BFG wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:44 am

It looked like he was flying out the line Vs Chiefs because Toomua was biting in all the time leaving a big gap between 12 and wing for Manu to fill. He was trying to blitz to stop Chris going wide and exposing the space.
Well having the pace to fill that gap is kind of the point for an outside back.
I guess we see things differently but for me it's chicken and egg stuff in what comes first.
IMO he does the blitz a lot and not just in this game, you don't see Tait need to do it as often when he plays there.
It's sort of like the BY debate we had where you think forwards should be making runs to bust the gain line and I think that they can't because that delivery off that obligatory two step that BY takes away from the base actually brings defenders onto his own forward runners.
Likewise give the forwards Harrison's quick service off the base (Worcester away) and they can beat the defensive rush and bust the line.
Again if you have the pace and footwork to rely on at outside centre then you can stay tighter inside and trust your inside cover to come across and trust your own pace to cover the outside and then no need to blitz as often.