Super User

Murphy wants the job full time

Post by ellis9 »

WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Murphy wants the job full time

Post by WhitecapTiger »

He's certainly got the shop window to lay down a marker.....and I doubt there'll be any Tigers' supporters who can't get behind him in the interim. He'll have my support 100% on Saturday no doubt about that.

"He has been strongly backed by club captain Tom Youngs, who has urged the board to give him their full support."

I don't know why but when I read this I immediately thought of Football clubs coming out and giving their managers a full vote of support....

I guess it can be assumed that that the board have given him their full support as they have given him the reins - a chance to prove himself, or maybe they already have a full-time replacement coming in and need Geordy to hold the fort until their arrival and OTY's reported comment is a plea to let GM go for it.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:19 pm He's certainly got the shop window to lay down a marker.....and I doubt there'll be any Tigers' supporters who can't get behind him in the interim. He'll have my support 100% on Saturday no doubt about that.

"He has been strongly backed by club captain Tom Youngs, who has urged the board to give him their full support."

I don't know why but when I read this I immediately thought of Football clubs coming out and giving their managers a full vote of support....

I guess it can be assumed that that the board have given him their full support as they have given him the reins - a chance to prove himself, or maybe they already have a full-time replacement coming in and need Geordy to hold the fort until their arrival and OTY's reported comment is a plea to let GM go for it.
As much as I think GM has been a fantastic Tiger and a true legend, I do not see him as long term DOR or head coach, he has been coaching for us now for a long time and I have not seen much of an impact and it really hurts me to say that.

I think we need someone from outside the Tiger's family who can and will make changes without emotion
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

It is certain that there was some sort of review at the end of last season and it was decided to carry on as we were with the addition of a few players, I expected that MOC would get a few games to justify his retention but the manner of Saturdays defeat precipitated his hasty departure. Geordie gets the job whilst we search for a top coach, just as Cocker got it when Meyer left suddenly, the turn round in fortunes that happened then if repeated now under Geordie will make it very difficult for the Board to replace him, as assistant to MOC he should not be blamed for any perceived failures as the guy in charge he will garner the credit or blame and be rewarded accordingly. I just want to see Tigers winning, hopefully starting this week with Murph in charge and that is what I will be shouting for, failure over the next few matches will see me wanting change but for now "Come on You Tigers" . The Geordie Boys to beat the Geordies.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

The board can't afford another mistake. They will be praying GM makes a huge success of the role as then they can put off making an outside appointment and avoid the risk of that new appointment failing, again.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

We badly need a defence coach whatever happens.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Smurf needs to spend time away from Leicester to learn and make mistakes in another environment.
Valhalla I am coming!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

fleabane wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:18 pm Smurf needs to spend time away from Leicester to learn and make mistakes in another environment.
The time for that has come...and gone. My advice to him would be to give Leo Cullen a call and ask him how he went from player to coach to where he and Leinster are now!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:49 pm
fleabane wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:18 pm Smurf needs to spend time away from Leicester to learn and make mistakes in another environment.
The time for that has come...and gone. My advice to him would be to give Leo Cullen a call and ask him how he went from player to coach to where he and Leinster are now!
I would suspect that has already occurred
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Not every great player makes a great coach, often the opposite.
His quoted comments in the Mercury are worrying, there is certainly something the players & coaches can do to stop the DOR merry-go-round, they are equally at fault, it shouldn't need coaches to tell professional players how to get yourself ready for the first minute of the first game of the season, a massive kick up the backside is needed throughout the entire club.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

:smt023
jgriffin wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:53 pm
strawclearer wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:49 pm
I would suspect that has already occurred
:smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

A decent bloke and a legend as a player, Geordan should not be considered for the role. Didn’t he try for the Cardiff Blues role, so he wasn’t that committed to staying at Tigers. Across the squad, have skills improved over the last couple of years ? No.

Get over to New Zealand, get Scott Robertson to take the role and bring O’Gara and Jason Ryan with him.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

I hope he surprises us all, but I doubt it.
Smudger67S
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Smudger67S »

Put Murphy in charge, but don’t make the early mistakes of Leinster and Munster when they put playing legends in charge, with zilch manager experience such as Leo Cullen and Anthony Foley. Murphy will need a world class support team to under pin him. Leinster failed under Leo until they bought in Lancaster and had Andy Farrell at hand when not in active duty with the IRFU.
If at first you don't succeed .............. then skydiving isnt for you!!!!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

How many games does he get to prove himself?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.