Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Cohen, Glynn, MOC to be sacked?

Post by WhitecapTiger »

wellstiger wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:33 pm Surely MOC has to go.
His recent record at Tigers is noted by failures rather than triumphs.
Biggest defeats. ....
No meaning to be a pedant and I'm not in the business of defending MOC right now but our actual biggest defeats can't be put down to him......yet?

Biggest defeat - 10-85 (v Barbarians, 4 June 2000) Deano
Biggest league defeat - 0-45 (v Bath, 20 September 2014) Cockers.
Biggest cup defeat - 7-47 (v London Irish - 1999-2000 Tetley's Bitter Cup Round 5, 29 January 2000) Deano
Biggest European Cup defeat - 0-43 (v Glasgow - 2016-17 European Rugby Champions Cup pool stage, 21 January 2017) Cockers.

Admittedly that's dragging quickly off wikipedia so might be missing something.
wellstiger wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:33 pm Surely MOC has to go.
His recent record at Tigers is noted by failures rather than triumphs.
first team not to score a try on opening game.
Not sure if you meant this season alone (apologies if you did) but we failed to score a try on opening match of the 09/10 season away at Sale.....Won the premiership that season.

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/matchstats? ... gue=267979
wellstiger wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:33 pmSurely MOC has to go.
I agree but we have to have a proper strategy in place rather than just knee-jerk, yep I've calmed slightly after the embarrassment of Saturday..

I am not his PR rep :smt002 :smt003 :smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

0-43 at home against Glasgow wasn’t on Cockers’ watch; he’d gone at New Year. That was under Mauger (and, IMHO, the game that cost Mauger any chance of being a full interim coach, let alone a long term option).
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:04 pm 0-43 at home against Glasgow wasn’t on Cockers’ watch; he’d gone at New Year. That was under Mauger (and, IMHO, the game that cost Mauger any chance of being a full interim coach, let alone a long term option).
Thanks, couldn't remember precisely, still not attributable to MOC though. :smt002 :smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Never mind the forwards being 80 minutes short its not as if the coach turned up two weeks late....just get him gone already...
cowmadiddy

Post by cowmadiddy »

I was just catching up on this thread and they announced his departure before I got to the end.

I think he should go
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Post by Richard »

Conor O'Shea would be a different sort of coach
the future is bright
the future is
Scarlet Green and White
Louis

Post by Louis »

cowmadiddy wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:58 pm I was just catching up on this thread and they announced his departure before I got to the end.

I think he should go
Prescient. Brilliant. A triumph. 5 stars.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Who takes responsibility for ditching 2 coaches in quick succession, conducting a supposed worldwide search, with the best option that came up being a bloke we had only a few years prior, and who was most recently largely responsible for Leinster's worst season in many years?

Let alone the poor performance last season, and an apparent disaster of a preseason.

There is only so many times the coach can be made the scapegoat before we accept that there is endemic issues at the club, and we need to start looking at shaking things up further up the chain.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Darc Tiger wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:41 pm Who takes responsibility for ditching 2 coaches in quick succession, conducting a supposed worldwide search, with the best option that came up being a bloke we had only a few years prior, and who was most recently largely responsible for Leinster's worst season in many years?

Let alone the poor performance last season, and an apparent disaster of a preseason.

There is only so many times the coach can be made the scapegoat before we accept that there is endemic issues at the club, and we need to start looking at shaking things up further up the chain.
+1
I'm not cynical just experienced
tripeandonions
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by tripeandonions »

Peter Tom now needs to complete the job by removing those responsible for the recruitment travesties and the lies put out to the supporters. If those individuals had any virtue, they would do it themselves but I doubt if they will.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Being realistic I can't see any of the board going whatever some might wish for. If there are to be more casualties at a senior level then the most likely candidate to my mind would be Ged Glynn. I'm not saying I wish this to happen as I don't fully understand how the roles and responsibilities for the rugby side of things are apportioned above the level of head coach. I realise that there is a rugby committee of some sort. Maybe that's the problem - too much decision by committee rather than one person ultimately making the decisions.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: MOC to be sacked?

Post by mol2 »

WiggoTiger wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:01 pm Get Deano back he'd shake this lethargy out of the club. Need Johnno back to instill big game mentality as we're fragile at present
Big game mentality??? We aren't up to the small games at present so let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet.

Survival and then European qualification should be aims initially.
DCATsOLDMAN

Post by DCATsOLDMAN »

As usual, a lot of uninformed rubbish is being spouted on here.

First question, as a PLC, who has the power to hire and fire? It is usually delegated to the MD (or Chief Exec) by the Board
Second question, is the company set up so that the MD CANNOT be sacked?
Third question. If not, has the Chairman been given the power by resolution of the Board?
Fourth Question Was the MD present at the Board meeting when the resolution was passed?

Until we have the answers to these questions, NO-ONE is in a position to do anything.

Don't forget Cohen is a lawyer, and a pretty canny one at that, so I doubt whether he would put himself in a vulnerable position legally
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

DCATsOLDMAN wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:17 am As usual, a lot of uninformed rubbish is being spouted on here.

First question, as a PLC, who has the power to hire and fire? It is usually delegated to the MD (or Chief Exec) by the Board
Third question. If not, has the Chairman been given the power by resolution of the Board?
Fourth Question Was the MD present at the Board meeting when the resolution was passed?

Until we have the answers to these questions, NO-ONE is in a position to do anything.

Don't forget Cohen is a lawyer, and a pretty canny one at that, so I doubt whether he would put himself in a vulnerable position legally
From previous discussions I've had, it seems that it is Peter Tom who makes the hiring and firing decisions, and it is him the players turned to when we had the mess of Cockers last season. I also believe that Simon Cohen has orcestrated a board of which something catostrophic would struggle to get him gone.

Whatever the situation is, it is a mess. Let Cohen get on with making the club money, and bring in a DoR to deal with the rugby matters.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

TTRITH wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:25 am
DCATsOLDMAN wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:17 am As usual, a lot of uninformed rubbish is being spouted on here.

From previous discussions I've had, it seems that it is Peter Tom who makes the hiring and firing decisions, and it is him the players turned to when we had the mess of Cockers last season. I also believe that Simon Cohen has orcestrated a board of which something catostrophic would struggle to get him gone.

Whatever the situation is, it is a mess. Let Cohen get on with making the club money, and bring in a DoR to deal with the rugby matters.
Mess of Cockers last season? He was at Edinburgh last season.