The next New Head Coach / DOR?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Who would you like to see as the next Head Coach / DOR of Leicester Tigers?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:53 am

Ben Ryan
10%
Vern Cotter
13%
Stuart Lancaster
8%
Geordan Murphy
28%
Ronan O Gara
5%
Andy Farrell
1%
Graham Rowntree
3%
Milton Haig
3%
John Mitchell
5%
Daryl Gibson
8%
Wayne Smith
4%
Robbie Deans
6%
Jim Mallender
1%
Mike Ford
4%

Total votes: 118

voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: The next New Head Coach / DOR?

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Part of the problem is that those outside of Tigers who are any good and being suggested are contracted elsewhere and we would, no doubt, have to buy them out of their current contracts. The rest who are not in contract are largely recent failures in their last jobs (eg Malinder) just as O'Connor was at Leinster and Queensland and as such would we want them here? I think not. Given that we will, no doubt, have to compensate O'Connor for early termination of contract have we the funds to buy someone else out of their contract?

At least with Geordan and the rest of the coaching team there will be some continuity whilst the club sorts out the upheaval of yet another coach dispensed with in a relatively short period of time. As I said elsewhere, I think Geordan may surprise us.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

not got the skill or IT knowledge but someone must be able to organise a voting list of everyone we would like to see from this and other threads and get a fans vote going - the mod did it recently on another issue so why not on this one?????
Hehehehehehehehe
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by HantsTiger »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:01 am not got the skill or IT knowledge but someone must be able to organise a voting list of everyone we would like to see from this and other threads and get a fans vote going - the mod did it recently on another issue so why not on this one?????
I don't think it's your lack of knowledge, there doesn't appear to be a create poll button only a post one.

Not sure I'd want Sanderson, he annoys me everytime he speaks! Cotter or Ryan would get my vote.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The Moderators are able to set up a poll. I have Pmd Trendy to ask for the details and I will get one set up on here.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

We'll scour the world, and then give the job to someone who is tried, tested and a proven failure if they ring up.

We need a strong outsider in the mould of Dwyer or Ventner.

The trouble is that we have had too many insiders who can't accept that the Tigers' way is now no longer the best. Sides have copied us and then moved ahead.

Evolution hasn't happened and perhaps the time has come for revolution. It's a shame it didn't happen at the end of last season when we failed to achieve anything. Now we have deprived a new coach of the time needed to build a side pre-eason.

Or was it a case of the insiders getting their own way knowing it will be difficult to get an outsider at this point in time?
BIttySmalls

Post by BIttySmalls »

Cockerill ?
Johnson ?
Rowntree ?
..and all of the other ex Tigers. REALLY ????!!!!!

Lets just thank them for their service and move away from this model shall we? We need outside influences on this club (not just the team). We always jump back to what we know, which clearly doesn't work anymore.

For what it's worth, in my opinion we should be looking at (alongside a clear out at the top level of the club): -
ROG
Andy Farrell
Ben Ryan
Alex Sanderson

We've got to try something different this time surely?
Tigerbeat

Who would you like to see as the new DOR / Head Coach?

Post by Tigerbeat »

As requested by Trendy
From the following coaches - who would you want in the job long term (I know some are likely not to be available till after the world cup and others may be a little pie in the sky). Composed the list from the names mentioned more than once so far but left out total pie in the sky suggestions Rob Baxter, Richard Cockerill and Martin Johnson.

You can make up to three selections from the list below.
The poll will only allow a maximum of 15 options, which is now at capacity.
You will only have the one opportunity to vote and you will be able to select up to three choices.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

mol2 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:38 am We'll scour the world, and then give the job to someone who is tried, tested and a proven failure if they ring up.

We need a strong outsider in the mould of Dwyer or Ventner.

The trouble is that we have had too many insiders who can't accept that the Tigers' way is now no longer the best. Sides have copied us and then moved ahead.

Evolution hasn't happened and perhaps the time has come for revolution. It's a shame it didn't happen at the end of last season when we failed to achieve anything. Now we have deprived a new coach of the time needed to build a side pre-eason.

Or was it a case of the insiders getting their own way knowing it will be difficult to get an outsider at this point in time?
Nail hit firmly on the head.
This is little more than an excuse for the cosy club to buy more time to continue the free lunches and hefty pay.
No coach will want this job for anything other than a short term pay packet now.
Only a clear out will attract a people of the right calibre because people of the right calibre will want to do it their way.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

It depends what style of rugby we want to play. If we still believe that throwing the ball around to make it "pretty on the eye" will bring back success, then probably someone like Ben Ryan would be the person.

If however we realise that it's forwards who win matches and backs decide by how much, then he shouldn't be an option. That's why Geordan Murphy seems the best option for me. He knows how it worked for Tigers before but will get the best out of the backs so that the forwards can dominate up front and then when the time is right, unleash the backs who I feel will play with more freedom but at the right time.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Who would you like to see as the new DOR / Head Coach?

Post by ellis9 »

It only let me select one
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Talking of coaches, or in this case ex-coach, sad news for Aaron Mauger

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/sup ... Hurricanes
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Some coaches I think that are currently out of contract for next season are:
Internationals Coaches
Gatland (Wales)
Hansen (NZ)
Schmidt (Ireland)
Joesph (Japan)
Chieka (Aus)
Gold (USA)
Haig (Georgia)

Super Rugby Coaches
Wessels (Rebels)
Gibson (Tahs)
McKellar (Brumbies)
Umaga (Blues)
Cooper (Chiefs)
Robertson (Saders I think)
Fleck (Stormers)
Mitchell (Bulls if he leaves for England job)
Robert Du Preez (Sharks I think)
Swys de Bruin (Lions)

Pro 14
Cullen (Leinster)
Crowley (Treviso I think)

Some others
Brendon Venter
Robbie Deans
Graham Henry

CBA going into Top 14 teams.
Also most assistant coaches have clauses about head coach roles coming up for offers.

so expect a lot of movement this year.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

What surprises me is the amount of ex-players who feel that Geordan Murphy is the perfect guy to be the new DoR. Bring in an experienced Head Coach (Rowntree seems the best, avaliable bet), a backs coach and an attack coach (Mike Catt and Ben Ryan!)

Would leave us with

DoR: Geordan Murphy
Head Coach: Graham Rowntree
Forwards: Mark Bakewell
Backs: Mike Catt
Defense: Brett Deacon
Attack: Ben Ryan
Scrum: Boris Stankovich

Heavy Tigers influence, plenty of outside experience. Could see that working. I'd still favour a complete clear out mind.

Looking at RBs post; if the club are serious about fixing things, get on the phone to Brendon Venter, now!
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:03 am It depends what style of rugby we want to play. If we still believe that throwing the ball around to make it "pretty on the eye" will bring back success, then probably someone like Ben Ryan would be the person.

If however we realise that it's forwards who win matches and backs decide by how much, then he shouldn't be an option. That's why Geordan Murphy seems the best option for me. He knows how it worked for Tigers before but will get the best out of the backs so that the forwards can dominate up front and then when the time is right, unleash the backs who I feel will play with more freedom but at the right time.
Also Ellis, I feel you do Ben a massive disservice. He is a really knowledgable coach, and sensible enough to know that the forwards are a vital component. I don't think he's done enough to be considered, but wouldn't mind him involved in some capacity.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:03 am It depends what style of rugby we want to play. If we still believe that throwing the ball around to make it "pretty on the eye" will bring back success, then probably someone like Ben Ryan would be the person.

I don't think Ben Ryan would neglect the forwards although I'm sure he's mostly a backs/skills/attack minded coach, I'm not sure we are the team for him though because he seems to want total control with the way he runs things which he almost certainly wouldn't get here (I'm pretty sure he said he wasn't interested in the England attack coach role because "it was too small a role" and he wouldn't have any influence on how things worked overall)