MOC GONE

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: MOC GONE

Post by loretta »

Well. I’m parked in my camper within walking distance of Stade Mayol, looking out at the Med with a glass of chilled rosé in my hand, the sun has just set, and I have a crossing to Corsica tomorrow. And yet, the best bit of the day is still that O’Connor has gone!!! Brilliant!! :smt026
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

POSTIGER wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:04 pm Won't be popular or even realistic but Brendan Venter is the kind of character we need right now imho.
We don't necessarily want a popular coach that suits the fans, we want someone like Venter who can make hard decisions and get us playing to our immense abilities. Graham Henry?
Smudger67S
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Smudger67S »

One game. Surely the writing was on the wall during or at the end of last season .... even before. Now there will be an interim coach, such as Gaffney at Saints, who then got their target manager Boyd, then gave him a six weeks start to the beginning of a new season. Not ideal for Saints or Boyd but so much better than the short term solution for Tigers.
Like Saints there will be a knee jerk reaction of good results will flow for the short term, won’t paper over the cracks until a world class coach is installed.
If at first you don't succeed .............. then skydiving isnt for you!!!!
Smudger67S
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Smudger67S »

LE18 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:10 pm
POSTIGER wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:04 pm Won't be popular or even realistic but Brendan Venter is the kind of character we need right now imho.
We don't necessarily want a popular coach that suits the fans, we want someone like Venter who can make hard decisions and get us playing to our immense abilities. Graham Henry?
Cockerill was an unpopular coach who made hard decisions and look what happened with him!!
If at first you don't succeed .............. then skydiving isnt for you!!!!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

On the face of it the timing of this - one game in - seems unfortunate. If there was serious disquiet after last season then what happened today should have happened ages ago giving time to recruit a replacement...or give the guy a chance to redeem himself. I suspect Saturday was the proverbial straw...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Smudger67S wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:12 pm
LE18 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:10 pm
Cockerill was an unpopular coach who made hard decisions and look what happened with him!!
Yep 14 years at one club how bad.
Don't confuse going stale with being a bad coach.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I will just say MOC is a nice bloke he just isn't Head coach material at least for a top of the table looking team.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

markharbtiger wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:15 pm On the face of it the timing of this - one game in - seems unfortunate. If there was serious disquiet after last season then what happened today should have happened ages ago giving time to recruit a replacement...or give the guy a chance to redeem himself. I suspect Saturday was the proverbial straw...
Thank you - and, yes, I will be claiming credit having tweeted the club this morning! :smt024
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Lancaster in May this year when he signed his new contract, dismissing speculation linking him to the then vacant Quins job “One, I am 100% committed here and two it would be 100% the wrong thing to do: to start talking about trying to win something at Leinster and at the same time be trying to create opportunities elsewhere. I wouldn’t even contemplate doing it. For me it’s all about Leinster.” Mind you that was a few days before they won the Champions Cup in Bilbao...
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:09 pm At last! Don't really understand why it took them so long to do it as the writing's been on the wall for a while now.

So who will be up to the job? Geordan Murphy will surely be no more than a temporary measure, and Deano most definitely won't be throwing his hat into the ring. Two names that have been banded about, Mike Ford and Stuart Lancaster would fit the bill if either can be persuaded to come. Jim Mallinder could be a possibility but he is currently England Rugby's "pathway performance coach" (whatever that may be!). And Jake White? Isn't he in Japan?
Jake White's on every Head Coach candidate list, on ours quite a few times! 😂
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Sweet relief. Something had to give. A nigh on full strength side should have stepped up to the mark better than it did on Saturday.

We will wait and wonder.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Louis

Post by Louis »

I am...happy.

Unusual for me as I'm typically at the happyclapper end of the spectrum with a "get behind the team right or wrong, but deliver constructive criticism" view. But I did and do think MoC was a disaster.

The pessimist in me is a little worried about this season. How many "transitional/building/development" seasons can we have? Who is the "global search" going to turn up this time?

Also, it cannot be just me that would not want Voldemort to coach Tigers. I wish the man no ill, but seriously. My irony meter couldn't cope with such an appointment.

Edit: P.S. All this said, Cockers out, 4 months for Mauger, less than a year and a half for MoC? All a bit soccer for my tastes. If best gone, best gone soon, I get it. But how many people can lose the dressing room?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I'm just going to say I wouldn't mind Newby being looked at as a breakdown coach.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Louis wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:39 pm Edit: P.S. All this said, Cockers out, 4 months for Mauger, less than a year and a half for MoC? All a bit soccer for my tastes. If best gone, best gone soon, I get it. But how many people can lose the dressing room?
Don't think MOC had the dressing room from the start! :smt017
Louis

Post by Louis »

Having won eight domestic and two European titles with Leicester Murphy will have great support from the club's supporters.

He will lead fellow coaches Mark Bakewell, Boris Stankovich and Boris Stankovich until a successor is appointed by the club.
From here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/45402800.

I know Boris is good, but wow.

Boris Stankovich, so good they had to mention him twice.

(On topic, fantasy appointment: Graham Henry. Or Cockers)