Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Exeter team

Post by Crofty »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:51 pm
Crofty wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:28 pm
WhitecapTiger wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:19 pm OK, so Exeter played well...
That's the thing though, by their standards for large swathes of the game they didn't. There were plenty of errors Tigers of old would have exploited, this lot however just rolled over.

Tigers just aren't Tigers any more :smt090
I thought I'd temper my post by saying they played well...sounds a little better than:

"a bunch of toothless embarrassments to a proud club/shirt who went out unfit and unprepared with no obvious game plan or idea of how to change a game were battered by a good team that weren't exactly firing on all cylinders themselves but had obviously bothered to spend a bit of time together in the weeks leading up to the first game."

I didn't want to be too damning.
An honourable instinct, but I fear what is needed is the stark honesty of version 2 as damning as that honesty may be.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Last edited by ellis9 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:12 pm
ellis9 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:10 am
JP14 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:24 am The “senior players” need to take it into their own hands now, play how they want to play, do a France of 2011 or an England of ‘07.

For me, the first problem was starting Toomua, not trained with us enough this season, disjointed our defence by bursting out and isolating Manu, who was frustrated therefore launching himself everywhere. It might have been so different if Eastmond had started and Olowofela had come on around the 50th minute as should have the whole front row. I really feel for Cole too with MOC stupidly playing him till the 70th odd minute. Polota-Nau added a dimension in attack when he came on but he was continuing his poor lineout form for the Wallabies with us.

A minor commiseration would be that yesterday’s pile of rubbish is because the players are doing a Bath and trying to get rid of the head coach. However I highly doubt it.
If players are doing this to get MOC sacked, then they're going the wrong way about it. If they want him sacked, then they need to approach the board and tell them. They don't need to put the fans or themselves through such awful performances. Go to the board now and tell them and they can sack him straight away. If they try doing it through bad performances then it could be Christmas before he is sacked and by then it'll be too late.
I agree with you Ellis, it shouldn’t have to come to this, but could the players be facing termination of contracts if they go to the board and demand something that it’s necessarily in their repertoire so playing poorly is an easier way out for them, I think?
The players would just need to call a meeting with the board. Tigers wouldn't terminate their contracts as:

1. It's easier to terminate one persons contract (MOC) than a handful or more of the players contracts.

2. It would be legally complicated to terminate the players contracts for something that wouldn't be classed as gross misconduct.
Last edited by ellis9 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamie1880

Post by jamie1880 »

norfolkexpat wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:06 am Can who missed what be evaluated ?
Tuilagi is a wonderful tackler of thin air with very expansive hand gestures, he is so embarrassing our Austin felt he had to ""highlight"" it. ....he has to go, 4 seasons wasted and if his name wasn't Tuilagi you would never hear of him again. Plus he was laughing and joking as soon as theFinal whistle fell. Bet the supporters who travelled really appreciated that.
The whole fricking team should be at Oval Park today and tomorrow just being made to run until they :censored: collapse. Absolutely gobsmackingly disgraceful.
Oh and O'Connor amongst others needs the chop before Oval Park.
Austin stated that in his indiscreet indirect fashion

Finally . The Daily Mail was right.
Our top missed tacklers of yesterday's 42 missed:
Kalamafoni 7
Ford 5
Toomua 5
Cole 4
Bateman 3
O'Connor 3
Polota-Nau 3

Of all the starters, ONLY Jonny May didn't miss a tackle :O
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

jamie1880 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:06 pm
Tuilagi is a wonderful tackler of thin air with very expansive hand gestures, he is so embarrassing our Austin felt he had to ""highlight"" it. ....he has to go, 4 seasons wasted and if his name wasn't Tuilagi you would never hear of him again. Plus he was laughing and joking as soon as theFinal whistle fell. Bet the supporters who travelled really appreciated that.
The whole fricking team should be at Oval Park today and tomorrow just being made to run until they :censored: collapse. Absolutely gobsmackingly disgraceful.

Kalamafoni 7
Ford 5
Toomua 5
Cole 4
Bateman 3
O'Connor 3
Polota-Nau 3

To be fair that’s not representative of Kalamafonis contribution since he joined, he’s usually our top tackler.

Which leads me to say, if our forwards had no pre-season, why not give the likes of Reffell, Williams & Wells a run out as they have had a few games and been buzzing to play?

Surely a 90% ready youngster is better than a 30% ready 1st teamer. Plus if MOC had picked that younger team and explained why, he’d have probably had a bit more support.

It was as bad as I can remember and that says a lot considering a few of those hammerings we had in Europe and the Play Offs under Cockers.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:21 pm
The players would just need to call a meeting with the board. Tigers wouldn't terminate their contracts as:

1. It's easier to terminate one persons contract (MOC) than a handful or more of the players contracts.

2. It would be legally complicated to terminate the players contracts for something that wouldn't be classed as gross misconduct.
Fair enough, one would hope if the players are unhappy then they will challenge the board but we won’t know unless someone leakes information.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by HantsTiger »

jamie1880 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:06 pm

Kalamafoni 7
Ford 5
Toomua 5
Cole 4
Bateman 3
O'Connor 3
Polota-Nau 3

Manus not on the list as tackling after the player had passed the ball or waving your arms at thin air between players doesn't count :smt012
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

2 things.

1. The huge amount of missed tackles is symptomatic of unfit / unready / ill-prepared players. The responsibility for players being that much off the pace lies squarely with the head coach. Take the worst example Kalamafoni. That one of last season's most consistent performers in defence is suddenly the worst indicates to me that he was "undercooked". One of those referred to by MOC as 40, 60 or 80 minutes away from readiness I assume. Rather than slating him and the others I feel sympathy for them at being sent out play by a coach who is clearly out of his depth.

2. As far as players going to the board about the coach I believe the club has history in this respect, coincidentally with another Australian coach. There was a strong rumour that a certain Mr R Dwyer was removed from his post following interventions by a certain D Richards and A Healy, both formerly of this parish, to a certain P Wheeler former Director of our proud club. We all know what followed. Four Premiership titles in succession and back to back European cups. So maybe we should jettison MOC, appoint Geordan head coach and get a top class defence coach to supplement the other coaches we currently have in post.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:42 pm 2 things.

1. The huge amount of missed tackles is symptomatic of unfit / unready / ill-prepared players. The responsibility for players being that much off the pace lies squarely with the head coach. Take the worst example Kalamafoni. That one of last season's most consistent performers in defence is suddenly the worst indicates to me that he was "undercooked". One of those referred to by MOC as 40, 60 or 80 minutes away from readiness I assume. Rather than slating him and the others I feel sympathy for them at being sent out play by a coach who is clearly out of his depth.

2. As far as players going to the board about the coach I believe the club has history in this respect, coincidentally with another Australian coach. There was a strong rumour that a certain Mr R Dwyer was removed from his post following interventions by a certain D Richards and A Healy, both formerly of this parish, to a certain P Wheeler former Director of our proud club. We all know what followed. Four Premiership titles in succession and back to back European cups. So maybe we should jettison MOC, appoint Geordan head coach and get a top class defence coach to supplement the other coaches we currently have in post.
Just looking at missed tackles does not tell the full story. Perhaps he tried more than any other player to stem the tide and hence attempted more tackles than anyone else. In fact watching the match I thought Kalamafoni and BOC put in a tremendous effort but eventually ran out of steam as Exeter were relentless. Perhaps some players did not miss any tackles because they didnt make any tackles!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Match stats, including tackle stats:

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/playerstats ... gue=267979

According to that we were 73% tackle success (112/154), Exeter were 82% (98/119).

Our scrum was 100% (7/7) Lineout was 55% (5/9)

I did set out individual player tackle stats but it wouldn't align so the link above will show them.

We were leading 0-6 until the 28th minute, then fell apart.

We had 2 clean breaks compared to Exeter's 19.

Possession was 60/40% and territory 66/34% both in favour of Exeter.

We ran 282 metres compared to Exeter's 601. Jonny May made 55m and Telusa made 50m of ours.

We were 100% for mauls won!!! compared to 85% for Exeter - stats can be made to look good if you want them to...

We conceded the joint most tries (6) and are the only team not to score a try in the opening weekend.
Last edited by WhitecapTiger on Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Hearing Baxter reply to a question on Kvesic's good early form his reply said it all in that Kvesic had arrived for pre-season in very good condition.
It must be nice to possess professional players that take responsibility!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

BFG wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:59 am Hearing Baxter reply to a question on Kvesic's good early form his reply said it all in that Kvesic had arrived for pre-season in very good condition.
I've seen better prepared and fitter amateurs. :smt009
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Dear Matt O'Connor

I turn 66 today. I have a dicky ticker, a dodgy bladder and I need new glasses. I've reached the point where I take pills - not stairs - two at a time.

By your criteria, I consider myself fit for selection for the Newcastle game. I stand ready to give my all for at least 3 minutes and would prefer to be on the nearest wing to the changing rooms!

Strawclearer xxx
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

G.K wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:09 am
BFG wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:59 am Hearing Baxter reply to a question on Kvesic's good early form his reply said it all in that Kvesic had arrived for pre-season in very good condition.
to be fair MOC did says most the forwards had only had 40 minutes pre-season...can't imagine who's idea that was :smt017
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

daktari wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:39 am
G.K wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:09 am
to be fair MOC did says most the forwards had only had 40 minutes pre-season...can't imagine who's idea that was :smt017
Still though you have to wonder as it didn't stop BOC being one of the best players on the park!