Cohen, Glynn, to be sacked?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Cohen, Glynn, MOC to be sacked?

Post by sam16111986 »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:56 pm Jan 14th 2012 I posted that MOC should be sacked NOW. 6 years and 9 months on, same opinion.
Pretty sure I agreed with you then, certainly do now. He should have gone at the end of last season. His reputation is still based on the 2009 achievements. The quicker he leaves the better. I don't like sacking coaches but he is so far out of his depth it's embarrassing.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:56 pm Jan 14th 2012 I posted that MOC should be sacked NOW. 6 years and 9 months on, same opinion.
Why and what happened back in 2012 for you to make that statement, I probably attended the game I just can’t remember.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I am willing to give him until after the Wasps game when unless we have won 2 out of the next 3 the axe should come out. I said when RC was sacked that we should be breaking the bank to get either Milton Haig or Chris Boyd and I stand by what I said then - Boyd is no longer available and Haig may be unwilling to leave Georgia before the WC but I hope that someone is sounding him out to see if he would come and what it would cost. I am also in the camp that says it is not just M O'C's fault or that he should be the only one to go - SC has presided over the last 3 years of chaos and also GM must bear some responsibility.
Hehehehehehehehe
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I know one thing with certainty, whoever failed to get Cordero needs outing.
Anyone who knows their rugby knew that this bloke was worth investment.
I don't really know how coaches can be constantly blamed and sacked when a club fails to compete with their rivals for such high quality.
Like Cockers before who I believe wanted investment up front, if a coach isn't backed in recruitment then he has little chance.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

JP14 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:53 pm
Why and what happened back in 2012 for you to make that statement, I probably attended the game I just can’t remember.
One plan play, side to side, taking the ball standing still, laboured under 11 standard moves, no Plan B. The only change is the Plan involves dummy runners with ball behind the first wave. Tries scored by individuals breaking the mould, Scotty, Toby.... international standard players executing laboured circle ball :smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BFG wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:10 pm I know one thing with certainty, whoever failed to get Cordero needs outing.
I don't really know how coaches can be constantly blamed and sacked when a club fails to compete with their rivals for such high quality.
Like Cockers before who I believe wanted investment up front, if a coach isn't backed in recruitment then he has little chance.
Exactly what Cockers said in an interview when at Toulon
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:10 pm I know one thing with certainty, whoever failed to get Cordero needs outing.
MOC has had the recruitment though. He's shaped the squad how he wants over the last two summers.

To have developed no discernible style of play in all this time is simply inexcusable.
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

Can we just sack o Connor now and get it over with we all know it's going to happen halfway through the season. We had forwards running at forwards when they should be trying to isolate the small players and run at them. Lineout still was awful and we are clueless in attack.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:27 pm
MOC has had the recruitment though. He's shaped the squad how he wants over the last two summers.

To have developed no discernible style of play in all this time is simply inexcusable.
It was pretty clear MOC wanted Cordero and Mafi judging by the press release, now Mafi might have been harder to get BUT Cordero was signed up by Exeter on a trial contract 100% if Tigers had given him a longer deal he would have come but we didn't.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

I am at a loss to understand what has to happen at Tigers before Mr Cohen resigns. He has presided over the demise of a great club and the recruitment, firing, recruitment, firing, recruitment..........of various DOR.......It's a real question....what would have to happen to make him 'consider his position'........Obviously Tigers fielding a team that has been competently coached, in order to make it competitive, is no longer part of the equation.

I had an email exchange with him before the start of last season, and his position, in summary, was that he was doing a marvellous job, everything was fine, and I should just be quiet and bu a match day ticket.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:32 pm

It was pretty clear MOC wanted Cordero and Mafi judging by the press release, now Mafi might have been harder to get BUT Cordero was signed up by Exeter on a trial contract 100% if Tigers had given him a longer deal he would have come but we didn't.
Yeah because what we really needed was another expensive back. Sure he's a great player but we needed reinforcements up front and those have arrived. The Steve Mafi deal is an odd one because that looked like it was a done deal.

Last season. We were less than the sum of our parts and this season we are looking the same. A good coach maximises what he has.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

He has shaped what was here with what he is given, no more and no less.
Every man and his dog knows that the coaches do not call the shots here.
Ultimately though I'm afraid that developing a style of play around a 9 who is frightened of the breakdown and a 10 who is frightened to take the ball to the line is asking the impossible, I hold my hands up here and now and confess that even I do not possess a magic wand of that capability!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

I really don't think it would make any difference who Tigers's recruited with MoC as Head.
Bar Thompson all of the backs starting today are internationals.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:40 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:32 pm

Yeah because what we really needed was another expensive back. Sure he's a great player but we needed reinforcements up front and those have arrived. The Steve Mafi deal is an odd one because that looked like it was a done deal.

Last season. We were less than the sum of our parts and this season we are looking the same. A good coach maximises what he has.
He wasn't expensive though..
And looking at our depth I would say we do need Cordero.

But the point still stands MOC isn't in total control of recruitment.
Not saying he would do a good job if he had total control, BUT what top coach would come in without that control? Hence why he was signed in the first place IMO.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

G.K wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:44 pm
I really don't think it would make any difference who Tigers's recruited with MoC as Head.
Bar Thompson all of the backs starting today are internationals.
Exactly. Goes back to a good coach maximises what he has. This backline is good enough to win the league. This pack is good enough to get into the playoffs. I thought similar last season though, for me the headcoach we have would struggle to do a job in the Championship and is currently well out of his depth.