https://www.rugbypass.com/news/saints-w ... andy-goode

Its the Stains for him!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: No top 4 for Tigers?

Post by BFG »

Hmmm, outside of Exeter and Sarries I think it's a proper guessing game.
More new faces elsewhere and it'll take a few weeks to see how they all gel.
Saints are a decent punt all things considered, especially with Biggar added who I think will bring the kind of leadership and intensity that could benefit the rest.
Wasps are more into the unknown but the potential is clearly there, Carr was their best player during his previous spell there in my opinion, Sapoaga could be better than Cipriani for them, but the potential of the depth is very good such as the two academy props who are two of the best around.
I wouldn't discount the Falcons, they could get a proper foothold at the set piece with Mulipola added, that'll be his brief in my opinion and they'll be extremely difficult to play if that works out as they were difficult enough already without set piece stability.
Then there is also Gloucester.
Last edited by BFG on Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

On Rugby Tonight last night (now renamed the Sam Warburton love in), both Ben Kay and Aus were tipping Glaws for the top two never mind the top 4. Their recruitment seems to have been spot on, we shall see......
Soggypitch
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Goode and his henchmen, I believe Marler has now joined him and Hamilton, just says what he feels will provoke the biggest reaction.
Exeter and Saracens pretty much nailed on to take 2 of the top 4 spots, the other w could be filled by any one of half a dozen teams.

Also never forget that Goode is a paid ambassador of Wasps
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Goode and Hamilton still care about the Tigers somewhat, you could see it in the video about George Ford.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Goode is very much Wasps now.
Don't blame it's just facts.

Hamilton is still Tigers very much, but he is a good pundit and stays pretty neutral about all teams.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I’m surprised so many people have written Tigers off not making the top 4. We played poorly last season and still made 5th spot and could have snuck into 4th if we had played better during the run in.

This season we have a much better squad with none of our top players having left. Spencer, Thompson and Eastmond will all have a big impact for us.

I’m not saying we’ll definitely make top 4, but we’re in with the same chances as the likes of Gloucester, Saints etc.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

BFG wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:55 am Hmmm, outside of Exeter and Sarries I think it's a proper guessing game.
Saints are a decent punt all things considered, especially with Biggar added who I think will bring the kind of leadership and intensity that could benefit the rest.
Wasps are more into the unknown but the potential is clearly there, Carr was their best player during his previous spell there in my opinion, Sapoaga could be better than Cipriani for them, but the potential of the depth is very good such as the two academy props who are two of the best around.
I wouldn't discount the Falcons, they could get a proper foothold at the set piece with Mulipola added, that'll be his brief in my opinion and they'll be extremely difficult to play if that works out as they were difficult enough already without set piece stability.
The Exeter result should give us a little in sight into how far off the mark we are, there will not be many tougher tests in the league this year than this game
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:19 am I’m surprised so many people have written Tigers off not making the top 4. We played poorly last season and still made 5th spot and could have snuck into 4th if we had played better during the run in.

This season we have a much better squad with none of our top players having left. Spencer, Thompson and Eastmond will all have a big impact for us.

I’m not saying we’ll definitely make top 4, but we’re in with the same chances as the likes of Gloucester, Saints etc.
We have more of a chance of finishing in the top 4 than Gloucester and Saints do.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

To be fair to Goode he says it's an out there prediction. In another thread I am taking a punt on it going the other way for Saints. No doubt they'll end up mid table and prove both of us wrong.

As for Tigers we simply don't know. Listening to the podcast we've completely reworked our lineout. We've made it simpler which will clearly make it easier to execute and more reliable but potentially easier to disrupt. We've done some good recruitment but also have some players injured/away/with questions over them. If the forwards can be a bit more beasty, the scrum stays at the same level, the lineout works better, Ford/Eastmond click, Manu gets back to something like his best and so on we would not just be top 4 but a real contender. A few setbacks may mean we just make top 4. If a lot of things don't work out it will be like last season.

I think "cautious optimism" would be the phrase I would use.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

ourla wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:29 am To be fair to Goode he says it's an out there prediction. In another thread I am taking a punt on it going the other way for Saints. No doubt they'll end up mid table and prove both of us wrong.

As for Tigers we simply don't know. Listening to the podcast we've completely reworked our lineout. We've made it simpler which will clearly make it easier to execute and more reliable but potentially easier to disrupt. We've done some good recruitment but also have some players injured/away/with questions over them. If the forwards can be a bit more beasty, the scrum stays at the same level, the lineout works better, Ford/Eastmond click, Manu gets back to something like his best and so on we would not just be top 4 but a real contender. A few setbacks may mean we just make top 4. If a lot of things don't work out it will be like last season.

I think "cautious optimism" would be the phrase I would use.
Good points. There are so many ifs and buts that this season is even more hard to call than ever.
Potentially, Tigers should be in the top 4 and if injuries are at a minimum and they get a home semi-final then they may well be champions.
Semper in excretia
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I'd be extremely surprised if Saints made Top 4. I don't think they'll finish much higher than they did last season.

I think Glaws' pack will be a force to be reckoned with. If they can keep them all fit then their second and back row in particular will beat a few teams up I'm sure. If that then frees up Cipriani to cause mayhem then I think they'll be up there.

The surprise package for me would probably be Sale. They've got some terrific players but fortunately for the rest of us a pretty awful Head coach.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:27 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:19 am I’m not saying we’ll definitely make top 4, but we’re in with the same chances as the likes of Gloucester, Saints etc.
We have more of a chance of finishing in the top 4 than Gloucester and Saints do.
Away from the obvious bias, i'm not sure I can agree with you Ellis.

Gloucester have made fantastic additions to their squad, and with his second season approaching Ackermann should be confident that top 4 should be in their grasp. Indeed, they are perianal chokers, but this is a very different Gloucester outfit.

Equally, Saints have appointed excellent coaches in Boyd, Vesty and by bringing in Biggar and Naiyaravoro they are in a much better place. The signing of Haskell as well, will add an extra level of leadership which can only help them!

I'm worried about the noises coming out of the club. Senior players not being behind MoC does not bode well, and I still believe we don't have enough dedicated coaches. Our backline, should it click, will be terrifying for most teams, but I fear we shall not see it often. Equally, I worry about our front row. I don't think we have quality there in depth, although I would back Boris to get the best out of them.

Top 2 will be Sarries and Exeter, I think Worcester will go down, but not without giving it a good scrap and beyond that anyone could finish anywhere.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:26 am
BFG wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:55 am Hmmm, outside of Exeter and Sarries I think it's a proper guessing game.
The Exeter result should give us a little in sight into how far off the mark we are, there will not be many tougher tests in the league this year than this game
Not sure Chobbsy, I think it's the durability of the squad that matters most.
We could do Exeter away and pick up a few injuries to key players and then lose the next few matches.
Exeter on the other hand look hardened in their playing style and Sarries are just unbelievably hardened.
I think a few pundits fancy Gloucester to be a bit more hardened this year.
I'm pretty sure that most 1st XV's in the Premiership are fairly battle hardened but only a couple are hardened enough for the entire war and only one stands out, how Sarries came out on top last season in the way that they did it was very impressive.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

TTRITH wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:08 pm
ellis9 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:27 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:19 am I’m not saying we’ll definitely make top 4, but we’re in with the same chances as the likes of Gloucester, Saints etc.
Away from the obvious bias, i'm not sure I can agree with you Ellis.

Gloucester have made fantastic additions to their squad, and with his second season approaching Ackermann should be confident that top 4 should be in their grasp. Indeed, they are perianal chokers, but this is a very different Gloucester outfit.

Equally, Saints have appointed excellent coaches in Boyd, Vesty and by bringing in Biggar and Naiyaravoro they are in a much better place. The signing of Haskell as well, will add an extra level of leadership which can only help them!

I'm worried about the noises coming out of the club. Senior players not being behind MoC does not bode well, and I still believe we don't have enough dedicated coaches. Our backline, should it click, will be terrifying for most teams, but I fear we shall not see it often. Equally, I worry about our front row. I don't think we have quality there in depth, although I would back Boris to get the best out of them.

Top 2 will be Sarries and Exeter, I think Worcester will go down, but not without giving it a good scrap and beyond that anyone could finish anywhere.
I am confident Tigers will finish higher than both Saints and Gloucester. I am willing to make a donation to the Matt Hampson Foundation if this doesnt happen.