Pitches

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Pitches

Post by Mark62 »

Just putting this out here to get people’s opinions.
I must start by saying that I’ve always thought rugby should be played on grass and I think that the tigers hybrid surface is excellent and the ground staff do a fantastic job keeping it that way.

That said number 2 son has recently started playing at Leicester forest and I went to watch their final preseason match last night.

They have had the latest version 4G pitch installed and I may be converted.
It was a proper game with hard scrummaging driving mauls and plenty of big hits. At the same time the game was fast and free flowing, with the bounce of the ball being even and true and not excessive.
I’m not aware that there are any of the problems normally associated with artificial pitches, although one lad did turn his ankle, not sure how much that was to do with the pitch.
Certainly a huge step up on Saracens plastic mat.
So the question is if our game is to thrive and pull in a new audience do we need to look at the top level being played on such surfaces
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Pitches

Post by ellis9 »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:51 pm Just putting this out here to get people’s opinions.
I must start by saying that I’ve always thought rugby should be played on grass and I think that the tigers hybrid surface is excellent and the ground staff do a fantastic job keeping it that way.

That said number 2 son has recently started playing at Leicester forest and I went to watch their final preseason match last night.

It was a proper game with hard scrummaging driving mauls and plenty of big hits. At the same time the game was fast and free flowing, with the bounce of the ball being even and true and not excessive.
I’m not aware that there are any of the problems normally associated with artificial pitches, although one lad did turn his ankle, not sure how much that was to do with the pitch.
So the question is if our game is to thrive and pull in a new audience do we need to look at the top level being played on such surfaces

No
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I'm with Ellis! I'll stretch to our hybrid but the rest a big no! Knee destroyers and skin graters!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:51 pm Just putting this out here to get people’s opinions.

I don't understand why we would potentially need plastic pitches for "the game to thrive".
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:03 pm I'm with Ellis! I'll stretch to our hybrid but the rest a big no! Knee destroyers and skin graters!
I don't know if it's changed but the Oval Park synthetic pitch (middle pitch) was exactly that.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Just suggesting that a better playing surface leads to faster flowing game and a more enjoyable spectacle for the more casual spectator and thus broadening the spectator base.

Maybe, Maybe not
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I like a 9-3 as much as a 37-27 though ;)
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

ellis9 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:39 pm

No
A rather blunt reply, if you don't mind me saying. Would you care to share with us your thoughts as to why not?

Reading the guidelines of England Rugby all does not seem as bad as all that, although I believe that a "hybrid" pitch may be more acceptable. Can anyone answer if Tigers' pitch comes in to that category?
:https://www.englandrugby.com/mm/Documen ... nglish.pdf
Semper in excretia
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:21 pm I like a 9-3 as much as a 37-27 though ;)
Me too!

What's happening? Why are we agreeing? :smt005
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:21 pm I like a 9-3 as much as a 37-27 though ;)
Me too but I would suggest we are keen fans.
What about the youngster thinking about taking the game up or his/her parents.

No right or wrong answers just a talking point.

Yes Tigers is a grass based hybrid pitch not synthetic, you can still get muddy
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:19 pm Just suggesting that a better playing surface leads to faster flowing game and a more enjoyable spectacle for the more casual spectator and thus broadening the spectator base.

Maybe, Maybe not
I don't believe we should change the game of Rugby Union to attract new people. The game attracted me, people on here and millions of others from the way it's been played and will still attract people. If people don't like it being slower and more technical, then they'll choose another sport to watch, such as Rugby League. The great thing about Union is that you could play the game whatever shape and size you were. Now it's heading towards being muscled, strong and quick whatever position you play.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:28 pm
Me too but I would suggest we are keen fans.
What about the youngster thinking about taking the game up or his/her parents.

No right or wrong answers just a talking point.

Yes Tigers is a grass based hybrid pitch not synthetic, you can still get muddy
Players playing now and those who played previously were attracted to the game when it wasn't as quick. We watch the sport now but we were once newly attracted to it when it was slower.
Cidercam2

Post by Cidercam2 »

WE don't have a hybrid Pitch, Its Grass people. :smt018
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Mark62 I’ve played on both types of pitches, natural and 4G.

I would say that 4G feels a bit quicker but for welfare, in my view, it is a big no no. Firstly, the ‘burns’ and cuts you get are twice as bad as on a normal pitch. Trying to put on any clothing on the affected areas was agony for days after. Secondly, I suffered a torn acl and had a full reconstruction a few years ago. It is absolutely fine when I play on natural pitches, but whenever I play on artificial 4G pitches, it balloons up and prevents me from working out or running for weeks afterwards. One hour of a football on a 4G pitch caused me more grief than an entire season on natural grass! I know I’m not alone in hating them, Jack Nowell - for one - refuses to play on them.

Also, it’s late summer Mark - are you sure it wasn’t just thanks to the conditions it was a quick game?! :smt002
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Response from someone who know the pitch very well!

“it's a hybrid system. 100% grass surface with a synthetic support carpet underneath”
Ed Mowe, Groundsman
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk