Re: Exeter team

Post by Rugbyflanker »

That's where I am Chewbacca
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

The probable line-up will look good on paper, and if (ok, a big IF!) they can play to their potential then a win is not out of the question.
Semper in excretia
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:44 pm Am I alone in forecasting a narrow victory for Tigers? I also forecast that should we win and score three tries someone on here will be complaining that we have once again failed to secure a try bonus point.
I don’t think we’ll win but I suspect it may be closer than people are guessing!

Exeter away is now arguably the hardest game of the season but first round is probably the best time to play them. They’re not into their stride and actually have been slow starters in recent years.

We have the players to win but I have my concerns about our ability to defend their rolling maul, which could be the game-breaker. Discipline will be critical too.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:44 pm Am I alone in forecasting a narrow victory for Tigers? I also forecast that should we win and score three tries someone on here will be complaining that we have once again failed to secure a try bonus point.
No - you're not alone - a win by 1-7 is not out of the question. I suspect Exeter will be the more nervous of the 2 sides! (I doubt anyone will quibble about a TBP though!)
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

I think we should start with O'Connor if fit, Denton and Mapalangi. Chiefs will try to build from their speed and power at the breakdown. We can counter that by letting them have their ball once the ruck is formed, and not commit too many, as we won't turn it over.
If I remember most games last season they won their own ball quite easily, as they were rarely penalised for sealing off. They struggled against Newcastle, who weren't dragged into an arm wrestle, and concentrated their efforts beyond the ruck- John Wells using his brain.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Bowden Tiger wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:56 pm I think we should start with O'Connor if fit, Denton and Mapalangi. Chiefs will try to build from their speed and power at the breakdown. We can counter that by letting them have their ball once the ruck is formed, and not commit too many, as we won't turn it over.
If I remember most games last season they won their own ball quite easily, as they were rarely penalised for sealing off. They struggled against Newcastle, who weren't dragged into an arm wrestle, and concentrated their efforts beyond the ruck- John Wells using his brain.
They didn't do it against them in the play-offs though.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:47 pm I think our chances are winning are between slim and none but you never know.
So, there is a chance then! :smt023
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

...and Wayne is Sir!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:37 pm ...and Wayne is Sir!
Excellent, also MOC confirmed in the Mercury that Bateman and O'Connor are both fit for the Exeter game!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Apparently Guy Thompson told people last Friday he expects to be fit.
Would be great to have coming on off the bench
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:12 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:00 pm
MikeR wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:33 am Every single Exeter player is good at the breakdown - that is one of the reasons that they keep the ball for such long periods .
Having seen the games last season a lot of Exeters ruck work looked very suspicious...
That’s very generous of you. IMHO they were very poorly refereed at times and most of it was well across the borderline into “illegal” territory. Flying clearouts left, right and (occasionally through the “gate”) centre. No attempt to stay on their feet, use arms etc.
It is not illegal unless the ref blows it, in my day it was called playing the ref
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

If the pack play well we have a chance.

If Bateman and BOC are fit enough to be on the bench at least, that will be a big bonus, likewise having TPN on the bench.

Also with Toomua fit and available we have a tremendous back line and just need some front foot ball.

I'm hopeful rather than expectant, but that's indicative of our form over recent seasons, we all need to change our mind set and expect to win these games.....!!
Soggypitch
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Ref: Wayne Barnes
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

iceman_19 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:15 pm
I don’t think we’ll win but I suspect it may be closer than people are guessing!

Exeter away is now arguably the hardest game of the season but first round is probably the best time to play them. They’re not into their stride and actually have been slow starters in recent years.

We have the players to win but I have my concerns about our ability to defend their rolling maul, which could be the game-breaker. Discipline will be critical too.
That's a crucial point regarding the ability to defend the maul.
I've been watching very closely and it's not for a lack of coaching or player effort in my opinion but more relative to the strength of the opposition.
Were it my choice then I would be looking to coach what does happen rather than what should happen and tactically target the ball in the air at line outs and become masters of the line out steal, force opposition into short line outs, strengthen being exposed on the open side and have the touch line as a close friend.