Exeter team

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Exeter team

Post by Spicer »

I've not followed pre season at all. According to your guys comments it is O'Connor or Reffel for the 7 jersey, is Will Evans injured or something?
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

If O’Connor is fit, he starts, but if not Williams comes in, is abrasive and physical, which we are going to need on Saturday.
Last edited by westwinds31 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Spicer wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:16 pm I've not followed pre season at all. According to your guys comments it is O'Connor or Reffel for the 7 jersey, is Will Evans injured or something?
Evans is recovering from surgery that he had due to the injury he sustained last season. O'Connor has been injured during pre-season too.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:25 pm If O’Connor is fit, he starts, but if not Williams comes in, is abrasive and physical, which we are going to need on Saturday.
We're also going to need mobility and the ability to contest the breakdown. Exeter get around the park well for a big pack and are good at looking after the ball.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

We need to play rugby in the right areas. Get the ball in their half, build pressure on them with fast, hard defence and then when we've got the ball, we need to unleash the backs and be very clinical.

We don't want the ball too much in our hands in our own half. If we do, Exeter will try and force us into errors, turn the ball over and then put the pressure on us. Get the ball in their half and then play from there.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Williams at 7 is a no for me, we need a genuine 7 at breakdowns as the Chiefs will have us on toast without proper disruption around the rucks, would start May and Thommo on the wings, Manu and Eastmond at Centre, Toomua on the bench for cover at centre and fly half with Holmes covering the wing, I really hope Olowofela is given game time this season, looks something special! First time in a long time Tigers have riches in the forwards and backs, going to be an interesting game at the weekend.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Every single Exeter player is good at the breakdown - that is one of the reasons that they keep the ball for such long periods .
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

MikeR wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:33 am Every single Exeter player is good at the breakdown - that is one of the reasons that they keep the ball for such long periods .
I agree but the rely on winning the gain line through their forwards - as sarries and others have shown if they don’t get over that then they can run out of ideas and don’t have a coherent plan B.

I’m sure Rob Baxter will have worked on that so they are less one dimensional at times but if we stop them upfront we can affect their ability at the breakdown.

The difficult bit is stopping the relentless gain line advantage as recent seasons have proved for most teams.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

The Mercury is apparently reporting that BO'C is available.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

MikeR wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:33 am Every single Exeter player is good at the breakdown - that is one of the reasons that they keep the ball for such long periods .
Having seen the games last season a lot of Exeters ruck work looked very suspicious...

Mike Williams shouldn't be anywhere near the 7 shirt, last season if nothing else proved we are so much better with a genuine 7 in the team. Williams should be playing 2nd row or more practically wear the number 19 shirt.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:00 pm
Having seen the games last season a lot of Exeters ruck work looked very suspicious...
That’s very generous of you. IMHO they were very poorly refereed at times and most of it was well across the borderline into “illegal” territory. Flying clearouts left, right and (occasionally through the “gate”) centre. No attempt to stay on their feet, use arms etc.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Just saw Chiefs highlights in Munster! A strong Munster side and they got nilled and could hardly get the ball, dreading Saturday I am but at least it's out the way and then we can concentrate on Newcastle,Chiefs by 16-20.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Bateman and BoC fit,Cortes available.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Am I alone in forecasting a narrow victory for Tigers? I also forecast that should we win and score three tries someone on here will be complaining that we have once again failed to secure a try bonus point.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I think our chances are winning are between slim and none but you never know.