Post by RagingBull »

I'm happy with Hooker, TH and Lock.
Really my only concern is 1 and 7.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Final Preseason Game vs London Irish

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:04 pm I'm happy with Hooker, TH and Lock.
I'm happy with Reffell getting a go. No point developing these lads if you can't back them to come in and do a job. It'd be a big ask to start against the Chiefs but accompanied by two experienced international backrow players he should be ok.

It's a strong tight five outside of Ma'afu. Hopefully we'll have Bateman back for Chiefs.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:23 pm
I'm happy with Reffell getting a go. No point developing these lads if you can't back them to come in and do a job. It'd be a big ask to start against the Chiefs but accompanied by two experienced international backrow players he should be ok.

It's a strong tight five outside of Ma'afu. Hopefully we'll have Bateman back for Chiefs.
Big game for Reffell, being picked in what looks like an almost (current) first XV side. If a game like this gives Bakewell and MOC the confidence that he can mix it against more experienced players (LI’s backrow appears a bit of a mix tomorrow) then hopefully we can see a bit of rotation in certain positions rather than panic if a player gets injured!👍
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:08 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:23 pm

Big game for Reffell, being picked in what looks like an almost (current) first XV side. If a game like this gives Bakewell and MOC the confidence that he can mix it against more experienced players (LI’s backrow appears a bit of a mix tomorrow) then hopefully we can see a bit of rotation in certain positions rather than panic if a player gets injured!👍
Reffell has been picked more out of necessity than choice. However, it's a great opportunity for him.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Preseason or not,I'm just buzzing to be back at WR! Can't wait for tomorrow's game!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:54 pm Preseason or not,I'm just buzzing to be back at WR! Can't wait for tomorrow's game!
Christ! I think that's the most positive thing you've ever said!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I love you too Ellis! ;) Like I've always said forums and blogs were purposely invented for fans to vent their spleen,at the ground it's s million % support and WR is the best atmosphere of any ground I've been too,although my mate went to Clermont and he said that's something else!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

iceman_19 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:16 pm The back line looks exciting again - although like most here I would have Holmes ahead of Thommo.

The pack, to be honest, worries me a bit. Ma'afu has not looked up to scratch and not a word on Bateman yet. We are also horribly light in the second and back rows - only Mike Williams and Tino providing cover for 5 positions on the bench.

Apologies if I've missed this, but does anyone know the prognosis on:

- Bateman
- Fitz
- Kitch
- Evans
- BO'C
- Owen?
Evans and Kitch had ops over the summer. Kitch was for a hip problem which he played with towards end of last season. I'm sure I read in the Merc a while ago MOC saying they hope to have him back "early season". Evans will be longer. No info on the others. Assume either injured or in recovery and not yet ready to be played in a match. I was expecting to see Faeio but maybe he is a bit "undercooked" having not been with us that long.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:18 pm
Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:54 pm Preseason or not,I'm just buzzing to be back at WR! Can't wait for tomorrow's game!
Christ! I think that's the most positive thing you've ever said!
Well we might need Christ if the Officials are actually Tim Whitestick Wigglesworth :smt019
& Matt Careless Carley :smt013
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:27 pm
JP14 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:15 pm A backrow of Denton, Kalamafoni and Reffell is not underpowered at all, Kala and Reffell could be devastating in the defence.
and the backs are superb....now only needing a good game plan......... :smt017
:smt017 :smt017
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Well, Evans did his meniscus around May time and is still recovering from that, therefore missed crucial parts of early preseason.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I wish the boys the best of luck today, rooting for Reffell to have a huge game. I’m so disappointed I cannot make it but that’s the way things are.

Hope Spencer smashes things!

Come on you Tigers!!!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

JP14 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:53 amHope Spencer smashes things!
Just not himself.....
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

The back line looks outstanding....but i said that last season....New season, New optimism...
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

daktari wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:08 am The back line looks outstanding....but i said that last season....New season, New optimism...
It’s the back row that I’m keen to see emerging...this was far and away the biggest ‘area for improvement’ and will be fascinating to see how things pan out.

Sadly for me, work commitments are going to keep me away from WR not only tonight (will be restricted to updates here in transit) but also for the Newcastle game. To me feels like that one will be a better indicator of progress (or regress) than Chiefs, so particularly disappointed to miss out on that.

PS: also having to wait to try out my new seat in the H&B. I’m following a rather predictable ageing progression....having opted for the modest ‘comfort’ of a bench in the Crumbie for the last few years having given up on doing the terrace with kids, I’ve now softened still further to the extent of needing additional cushioning!