LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part Deux

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part Deux

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

JP14 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:11 am Is Mapapalangi injured, or is the likely explanation that him and Fe’ao haven’t featured in preseason yet because they have been on international duty this summer?
Pictures released today show Mapapalangi in training so hopefully he’s okay. Kalamafoni will be a massive loss if he isn’t fit though.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think Kalamafoni is injured, Eastmond is fit by the looks of it.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Williams,Reffell,Denton v Ewers,Armand,Simmonds?Gulp!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:21 pm Williams,Reffell,Denton v Ewers,Armand,Simmonds?Gulp!
I don't think that's the most monumental mismatch, Reffell vs Armand maybe but the others should be equal to the challenge
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Is Armand a 7 in the truest form, like Cane, Pocock and Hooper etc? I think not. So whilst Exeter perform effectively very well as a unit, so not having a legit 7 like O'Connor is not going to be the deciding factor in the game. We could go with Williams, Mapalangi and Denton to take them on physically in the wider channels.
Whilst the signing of Mercer would fill a gap short term, experienced 7, natural leader, would it not just bloat the squad again though, depending on the length of time our injured players are out.
Now, an additional outside back probably would be welcomed. Definitely think we have space for some Tuilagi/Goneva style firepower out wide.
Last edited by FrontRowUnionMember on Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:46 pm Is Armand a 7 in the truest form, like Cane, Pocock and Hooper etc? I think not. So whilst Exeter perform effectively very well as a unit, is not having a legit 7 like O'Connor is not going to be the deciding factor in the game. We could go with Williams, Mapalangi and Denton to take them on physically in the wider channels.
Whilst the signing of Mercer wood fill a gap short term, experienced 7, natural leader, would it not just bloat the squad again, depending on the length of time out injured players are out.
Now, an additional outside back probably would be welcomed. Definitely think we have space for some Tuilagi/Goneva style firepower out wide.
Chiefs could always have Kvesic starting and have that archetype 7 option in their backrow. Use one of the others as bench impact.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Kala will be our biggest loss,we will get close to a third possession and territory so need your tackle machines out there.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Baths fan forum saying Mercer to Tigers a done deal.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BigDan50 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:26 pm Baths fan forum saying Mercer to Tigers a done deal.
He's probably training with us already whilst we decide on/negotiate his contract.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Injury dispensation or straight recruitment do we think?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

A return for Peter Betham maybe, he was my favourite player in his 1st season and I was thoroughly disappointed when he gave up then left/was offloaded?
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Lots of posts saying various players are or may be injured. Apart from Tuilagi, Kitchener and Evans recovering from operations does anyone have a definitive list of who is actually injured? According to what I read on here our back row and centres have been decimated. Does anyone have proof or are these just speculations / rumours?
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Coops wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:30 pm Injury dispensation or straight recruitment do we think?
Dispensation. With everyone fit he's fourth choice and in line to be overtaken by Reffell in the next year or so.
JP14 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:49 pm A return for Peter Betham maybe, he was my favourite player in his 1st season and I was thoroughly disappointed when he gave up then left/was offloaded?
I reckon he's pretty well set up in Clermont. If we could get a short term loan ala Van Rensburg for David Havili that would be ideal. Covers most of the backline, quick, strong and used to winning with the Crusaders. By the time he leaves you'd hope that our academy prospects have adapted to the pace of the league. His contract is up at the end of 2019 and if he's not in the AB reckoning then we're in a good place to tempt him North.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Good shout Sam!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:01 pm Lots of posts saying various players are or may be injured. Apart from Tuilagi, Kitchener and Evans recovering from operations does anyone have a definitive list of who is actually injured? According to what I read on here our back row and centres have been decimated. Does anyone have proof or are these just speculations / rumours?
Nod and a wink to those well informed. A lot going on.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.