Guy Thompson injury

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Guy Thompson injury

Post by WirralExile »

Did anyone else see on Twitter the report that new signing from Wasps, Guy Thompson, is apparently out until the New Year! Was this during the Treviso game or at Oval Park? Or worse, was he signed when injured?

Apparently we're looking at Guy Mercer (released from Bath) as an injury replacement.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Guy Thompson injury

Post by WirralExile »

Just checked Friday's team sheet and he wasn't on it so that rules option 1) out then.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

It's a guaranteed loss anyway barring a miracle but the Chiefs game could be a massacre at this rate! These injuries can't be all bad luck!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:50 am It's a guaranteed loss anyway barring a miracle but the Chiefs game could be a massacre at this rate! These injuries can't be all bad luck!
Exactly, the season hasn’t started yet and we’ve got injuries. People always say it’s just bad luck but surely the fitness and training regime needs urgently reviewing. We can’t have this many injuries in pre-season without there being something wrong.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Has it seemed to happen since the S & C guy came back who presided over our worse injury list ever previously or is it just me?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

:censored: here comes the pointless speculation.
Should get Alex Jones to host a show on the injuries conspiracy.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Pointless? So we didn't have 11/12 of our first XV out in his previous spell? You can't keep getting these injuries "unluckily"!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Not an ideal situation but lets see what the position is when the real games start. The nature of our performance against Chiefs will tell us more than preseason.
I'm not cynical just experienced
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Pure speculation, but as just one example I would be concerned about the standard of mauling displayed against Treviso.
Some really struggled and in my experience you have to be very careful in how you mix the standards in training.
Refs are strict on it in matches to prevent injuries but in repetitive training the dangers can sometimes get overlooked and the odds on injuries can increase greatly.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:51 am Pointless? So we didn't have 11/12 of our first XV out in his previous spell? You can't keep getting these injuries "unluckily"!
Yes it is pointless unless you know the injuries and how they got them.
But i'm sure people on here have far more of an idea than one of the most respected rugby S&C coaches in the country......
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I've been concerned about our "mauling" for at least 3 seasons!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Oh well I expect it's just bad luck then! Hell of a run of bad luck though!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:24 pm I've been concerned about our "mauling" for at least 3 seasons!
And rightly so, but this year there are more unproven players.
I wasn't impressed by the technical standard of England U20 up front recently either in fact I thought it quite low level.
It was also mentioned elsewhere that we signed injury prone players.
There is lots to consider before pointing fingers at things such as S & C expertise who will know exactly what they are doing in my opinion!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:14 am Has it seemed to happen since the S & C guy came back who presided over our worse injury list ever previously or is it just me?
Alex Martin came back and really improved our fitness last season, in fact it was probably one of our better ones in recent years. The Injury plagues we suffered during 2014/15, 2015/16 & 2016/17 was when he wasn't there and it showed.

Regarding this season, the heatwave and lack of rain will have caused the ground to be harder, therefore the collisions even in touch rugby when you have to hit the deck will cause more strain on the muscles and this is a practical reason why we have a shortage.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

It’s a fine balance for the club. They could come out and say on a weekly basis X is injured and is likely to be out for x amount of time.
Or be more secretive, like now and not mention it.
If the clubs explains all the injuries, it gives other clubs a better guess at our selection and likely tactics. But don’t tell us and we all want to know how long, what injury and how was it caused.. I don’t know if other clubs post their injury’s or not. We have to live with it or get someone on this forum on the inside...Jumbo??
There is never any points for 2nd place...