Invasion?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Invasion?

Post by bc »

I know Tigers cast their coaching classes wide but they are not normally in the heartland of other premiership clubs. I have been shocked to seeWASPS running a weeks coaching class at Uppingham School which, I would consider to be in Tigers heartland. I hope we are not losing our grip on again on academy production!
We have seemed to have sorted out the academy after winning the U18 title last year - lets hope we are not losing our focus and letting an aggressive competitor sneak in!
Lewis Moody wrote an article last season in addressing the decline of Tigers and he stated that Tigers past success had been built on an academy production line sprinkled with a dusting of stardust. We need ensure what has been started with the U18 success again continues - Exeter and, latterly Saracens prove the rule!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Invasion?

Post by JP14 »

Eh this is nothing new, Hinckley RFC is currently Wasps affiliated.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong or things have changed, but I believe that Premiership clubs were allocated areas / regions from which they could draw academy products to the exclusion of other clubs. So whilst this doesn't prevent any club holding a coaching clinic on another clubs "patch" it does prevent them from recruiting into their academy from it. I'm not sure if there is any sanction for recruiting out of area. I would be grateful for clarification from those who are better informed.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Great point VOTC!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

The boundaries was changed a couple years ago.
Think we lost some to Wasps, but got a lot from the Yorkshire academy area.

I think we benefited quite a bit from the new boundaries.
Worcester lost more to Wasps than us.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Could be wrong but Uppingham recently felt more like it's closer to Saints anyway.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

We just sound like a shambles from top to bottom,massive club with a small club mentality! What's happened to us?!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:22 am We just sound like a shambles from top to bottom,massive club with a small club mentality! What's happened to us?!
How so?
We just had a unbeaten U18's cup, who started their preseason with a good win v Bristol.
The Academy is in it's best shape for a long time.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Ok from top to top 😂 I did say a long time ago that MoC would end it tears and I've got that horrible feeling back. Let's hope in wrong but I just believe that Mike Ford is gonna snake his way in and he would be even worse than Matt! Why didn't we just scour the world like Cohen said? Think small you get small though so if/when it does go belly up its our own fault!
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:27 am Ok from top to top 😂 I did say a long time ago that MoC would end it tears and I've got that horrible feeling back. Let's hope in wrong but I just believe that Mike Ford is gonna snake his way in and he would be even worse than Matt! Why didn't we just scour the world like Cohen said? Think small you get small though so if/when it does go belly up its our own fault!
But what has this got to do with coaching classes/academy recruitment in Uppingham :smt017 :smt017 :smt017

As RB stated, our Academy is actually in very good shape again after a few seasons where it was neglected.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Nothing! Getting excited I'm afraid. The academy was superb but like I said there's England U20 WC winners who can't get in their GP clubs so although our unbeaten was an incredible achievement it doesn't mean much at the top level which is where it looks like the problems are.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I think you have to face facts, you don't hold coaching clinics for the benefit of the area, without being on the look out for signing talent!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

As a school I'd suggest that Uppingham like any other school wants to look as attractive as possible to students and provide as much opportunity as possible and that might include expanding the net.
It could be that someone feels that their pupils are not gaining the opportunities that they deserve and therefore are reaching out to others.
Just guessing really and who knows!

Regarding academy, personally I find the whole thing a purge on nature, and as regards to winning the thing, it isn't that difficult if you are lucky enough to have a year group with more big and fast youngsters than the rest, which is laughable as they move into seniors as being biggest and fastest is no longer a luxury that they will have and other attributes become more important, attributes that they didn't need to learn being the biggest and fastest kids!
Makes no sense whatsoever!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

JP14 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:05 am Eh this is nothing new, Hinckley RFC is currently Wasps affiliated.
Yes. I'm working on a plot to annexe their ground from my parents' place in Barwell.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

BFG wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:29 pm As a school I'd suggest that Uppingham like any other school wants to look as attractive as possible to students and provide as much opportunity as possible and that might include expanding the net.
It could be that someone feels that their pupils are not gaining the opportunities that they deserve and therefore are reaching out to others.
Just guessing really and who knows!

Regarding academy, personally I find the whole thing a purge on nature, and as regards to winning the thing, it isn't that difficult if you are lucky enough to have a year group with more big and fast youngsters than the rest, which is laughable as they move into seniors as being biggest and fastest is no longer a luxury that they will have and other attributes become more important, attributes that they didn't need to learn being the biggest and fastest kids!
Makes no sense whatsoever!
Uppingham is a full boarding school, its Summer, so their pupils wont be there, so a coaching clinic at this time of the year can't be for the school's benefit! :smt017