LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part Deux

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part Deux

Post by Will S »

England have a lot of teams playing in their top division so our very best ball players are normally slotted in to the 10 shirt. If England had say 4 teams playing in a top league like they do in the SH then we would probably see more of our skilful ball players coming through in the 12 shirt.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Will S wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:18 am England have a lot of teams playing in their top division so our very best ball players are normally slotted in to the 10 shirt. If England had say 4 teams playing in a top league like they do in the SH then we would probably see more of our skilful ball players coming through in the 12 shirt.
This is a great point Will!

Look at all other nations that succeed at the top level. Nz, Aus and Ireland all have around 4 teams therefore the quality of these is much higher and competition for places is again much higher.

I love the premiership but it is failing England much like the Premier league does with Football.

But on the flip side would I support a Midlands team for instance...no I would hate that so we have to make the best of what we have!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Hooker Ross McMillan has joined Leicester Tigers to add to the club’s front-row options.

The 31-year-old McMillan includes Gloucester and Northampton Saints among his previous clubs and worked with current Tigers forwards coach Mark Bakewell in a spell with Bristol.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Talk about pointless signings.

Unless Mahoney is going on loan.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

On a week when we have an A League fixture we need four hookers, Polota Nau will miss quite a few games this season that leaves us with Youngs, Stevens, Kerr and Mahoney assuming all fit, I am not sure I would have signed another experienced hooker but I can see a point in it. I have seen the guy training with our squad and he looks good, possibly buys time for Mahoney to develop further playing at Loughborough.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:28 am On a week when we have an A League fixture we need four hookers, Polota Nau will miss quite a few games this season that leaves us with Youngs, Stevens, Kerr and Mahoney assuming all fit, I am not sure I would have signed another experienced hooker but I can see a point in it. I have seen the guy training with our squad and he looks good, possibly buys time for Mahoney to develop further playing at Loughborough.
Re A league we can always bring someone in like we did for pretty much the entire second half of the A league season, and it doesn't take up cap.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Macken has been named in the XV against Cardiff. No anoucnement on his signing though.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

He has been rumoured since June though. I wonder if this is a final “trial”.

As for hookers, and front rowin general: thinking back to last year and the number of A-League matches (ie the development opportunities for all in the squad) lost due to FR shortages, you can see why we may be loading them.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Not really impressed with this latest signing, seems a panicky one to me.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:56 pm Not really impressed with this latest signing, seems a panicky one to me.
Why do you say that. With TPN away till the end of September that is Youngs and Stephens tied up with the first team, you’re one injury away from not having enough cover
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:49 pm
JP14 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:56 pm Not really impressed with this latest signing, seems a panicky one to me.
Why do you say that. With TPN away till the end of September that is Youngs and Stephens tied up with the first team, you’re one injury away from not having enough cover
You've seem to have forgotten Jake Kerr and Harry Mahoney.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:28 pm He has been rumoured since June though. I wonder if this is a final “trial”.

As for hookers, and front rowin general: thinking back to last year and the number of A-League matches (ie the development opportunities for all in the squad) lost due to FR shortages, you can see why we may be loading them.
I hear the answer is "Yes".
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:10 pm
4 hookers, first team and A team one injury away from not enough cover like I said
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:45 pm
JP14 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:10 pm

4 hookers, first team and A team one injury away from not enough cover like I said
One injury would still leave you with 4 hookers in total, Mahoney will be 20 turning 21.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Oh, I've just realised that Macken was at Leinster whilst Matt O'Connor was head coach there.