Captaincy

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Captaincy

Post by Mark62 »

In all recent social media communications Tom Youngs is referred to as club captain.
What are people’s thoughts, are they happy for him to continue as per last season, will he maybe stay as Club Captain with a 1st team skipper also being named.

If so who would that be. Toomua was mentioned but would imagine recent events would rule him out. The easy option would be George Ford, or maybe someone a little left field such as Brendon O’Conner, who has captaincy experience and I always think back row is the ideal position for the skipper.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Captaincy

Post by johnthegriff »

A captain should first of all be certain of his place in the team and he should have the respect of his colleagues added to tactical nous and leadership qualities. Difficult for fans who have little personal knowledge of player personalities to make judgement. I don't think position is important, I think eight is a good place to captain from, a la Deano, Corry but Johnno didn't do too badly from Lock, Murphy from Fullback or Wheeler from Hooker. In the olden days we had a captain and a pack leader now we have lineout captains, backs captains and scrum captains. The 2003 World Cup winning team had leaders throughout most of whom had experience captaining their clubs before or after the event and 8 or 9 of the squad actually captained England at some point.
That is what we want leadership in all departments and the team and coaches selecting the overall captain, they are the ones that know best!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

For me there are 2 choices and one makes a little more sense to me than the other. First I would leave Tom as club captain - after all he has been through and his loyalty he deserves to be left as such. The 2 match day options for me are Brendon and George, and Brendon shades it in my opinion - certain of his place when fit and will not be away on international duties. George to be chief of the backs and who ever is calling the lineouts to be "pack leader"
Hehehehehehehehe
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

There’s always Tait! But I would prefer the captain to be in the pack, I think Reffell could be our captain a few years down the line if he resists Wales.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

BOC would be the man for me if OTY isn't playing, Spencer could end up being a contender too
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Tom Youngs club captain.
Captain on field someone who can "bend" a refs ear, not bleat in in BOC would be my choice but 7 is a tricky position if the ref doesn't like your breakdown work.
Regardless of events Toomua should do it. If Wells gets & stays in team he might be a good shout.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Never did McCaw too much harm. The let him get away with blue murder cos he was captain I think!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Tom Youngs has the respect of the Tigers players. Those of you on twitter will have seen that recently.

That's the biggest thing to have as a captain, the respect of your team mates.

There's no reason whatsoever to change the captain.

However, if the captain was to change under MOC's tenure, George Ford would be the new one.
Last edited by ellis9 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

George Ford 😂😂😂
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Have full support for OTY being club captain but not sure he should be 1st 15 captain.

Firstly he's no longer first choice hooker and secondly he seems to get on the wrong side of the ref. Better to free him to play and leave the delicate matter of getting the ref on your side to another player.

The two roles are different and the respect he has from players and fans makes him the natural choice for club captain. He is also a genial guy off the pitch which I'm sure the sponsors appreciate. That's a huge job in it's own right and probably more than enough given the problems he is facing outside of rugby.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Not convinced of George Ford as a captain, when things are not going his way I think he goes into a sulk, we need a captain who has a clear head and is able to talk to the referee in a calm manner but not sure who that player should be.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

mightymouse wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:23 am Never did McCaw too much harm. The let him get away with blue murder cos he was captain I think!
Because he was captain? I thought he had an invisibility cloak that only worked on referees.

I don't have a particular preference but unless there are overriding positives I would avoid selecting a front row player as team captain.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

McCaw was given free rein because he was a Kiwi.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

JP14 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:07 pm McCaw was given free rein because he was a Kiwi.
McCaw was in the right more often than not tbh, I am sure Kiwis might say something about certain English refs......
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:21 pm George Ford 😂😂😂
Yes, you know, the player that was captain when Tom Youngs wasn't playing.