Eastmond

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Re: Eastmond

Post by Robespierre »

ourla wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:52 am I've a good feeling about this one.
Me too! He’s a proven international player who played well with Ford at Bath and is a welcome addition to the squad. May the knockers get back into their holes and reserve judgment until he has several games under his belt.
Semper in excretia
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

Eastmond is potentially a great signing. Whilst gutted to see MT go, the fact that he will still be here for he season gives the Club a great chance to plan another future signing :smt038
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Robespierre wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:02 pm
ourla wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:52 am I've a good feeling about this one.
Me too! He’s a proven international player who played well with Ford at Bath and is a welcome addition to the squad. May the knockers get back into their holes and reserve judgment until he has several games under his belt.
Plus him and Ford are a proven combination at this level. How many teams did they take apart when they played together at Bath!
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Another Bath reject, not happy with this signing. 😡
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Let's have a bet on how many times we get a MF of Ford,Eastmond,Tuilagi on the field at the same time! I'll say less than 5!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Disappointed about To'omua, but Eastmond is one of those gambles that can turn out grand. He came to us when his future was not rosy, and we have to give him time to get back to his former glory. Remember too we have a similar in Owen, who we just have to hope stays relatively uninjured this season as on his few appearances last season showed considerable ability to power through defences. I would be happier if we had a gifted backs coach, but there you go. :smt002
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:04 pm Let's have a bet on how many times we get a MF of Ford,Eastmond,Tuilagi on the field at the same time! I'll say less than 5!
But isn’t that the nature of modern Rugby with central contracts and the attrition rate at the top level?

I don’t think you can buy/sign players in those positions assuming that you’ll get more than 10 or so games in your preferred combination.

Look around the Premiership and how many times did the other top teams competing in Europe field their 1st XV or their best midfield combination?

It’s not a Tigers issue it’s a Rugby issue
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Steenson/Hill,Farrell/Barritt,Cips/Gopparth to name 3
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

sapajo wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:43 am Lose a world class centre and replace him with Eastmond. Beggars belief, that sums up Tigers player recruitment in a nutshell :smt009
To paraphrase the inestimable Wodehouse, "It is never difficult to distinguish between with a Tigers supporter with a grievance and a ray of sunshine.”

Eastmond is clearly not a replacement for Toomua, and nobody from WR is claiming he is...for the fairly obvious reason that there is no need to replace Toomua until 2019-20. In the meantime, a more measured response would be to congratulate Tigers on bringing in a high-quality squad addition that will strengthen depth in a vital area of the field. That said, this Board would make far less entertaining reading without the regular outbursts of immoderate pessimism!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I like Eastmond,him and Ford are deadly together!
Flash

Post by Flash »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:04 pm Let's have a bet on how many times we get a MF of Ford,Eastmond,Tuilagi on the field at the same time! I'll say less than 5!
Considering Toomua is a pretty handy player you're probably right :smt023
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Touche!
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:59 pm
sapajo wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:13 pm
Mark62 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:03 pm Yes he was injured at Wasps but he also didn’t fit in with their game plan of a ball player at 10 and 12.

I would have thought that those who feel Ford and Toomua struggle in the same team together would be delighted and he is a more powerful runner ball in hand than Toomua
More powerful runner ball in had than Toomua ? I think not

Next you will be saying he is a better defender than Toomua. I know he is not!
Eastmond is a miles bettering ball runner
You are Donald Trump and I claim my five pounds. Bigly.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:16 pm Steenson/Hill,Farrell/Barritt,Cips/Gopparth to name 3
Farrell only started 11 games in the Premiership last year whilst Exeter have the benefit of (perhaps unfairly) having less internationals so the likes of Steenson, Hill & Simmons can be rested at key times.

The key is that Tigers need a bit of strength in depth (along with some luck with injuries) so that in certain games we aren't in a position where we have to play a half fit Manu or just back Toomua because we can't afford to risk an Academy player or our 3rd choice.

Having the likes of Manu, Toomua, Ford, Owen, Tait, Smith plus Eastmond and a bit more experienced likes of Hardwick & Worth (and yes Joe Ford) means that we should be in a stronger position to rotate & rest players and hopefully not weaken the team as much as we would have done last year.

Having said that if Manu gets an England call up along with Ford then we definately need Eastmond to help out Toomua and the others.

IMO its a good signing and puts pressure on the first choice players to perform but also gives the coaches flexibility to rest & rotate without weakening the team as much as we would otherwise have done.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Potentially a midfield of Toomua, Eastmond and Tuilagi in November, looking forward to that prospect. Plus Ford and Eastmond did tear everybody to shreds for Bath back in 14/15, so potentially that could happen for us too.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni