LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part Deux

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part Deux

Post by JP14 »

I don’t think we need to spend the big cash when we have got Jordan and George Martin up and coming and then we’ve got the likes of Spencer and Wells at the moment. Entirely happy with our locks at the moment :smt030
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
jaguar
Tiger Cub

Post by jaguar »

Well said
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Nice stock but a much of a muchness. No standout,we need a Etzebeth, Mostert,Itoje,Launchbury,Retallick etc we need a world class lock and I would spend Toomuas marquee on trying to find one!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Spencer looks good.
Wells he is decent but really he would only be 3rd choice at most clubs.
Jordan is 18/19 and a bit to go
and Martin is 16/17 so even more to go.

Who knows how Jordan and Martin will progress but would be amazed if either are considered starter in the next season or two.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

This is ridiculous talking about REBUILDING the team with unproven youngsters !!!
We REQUIRE AS OF NOW 3 or 4 Top Quality proven Internationals...
Otherwise its another season going down the drain.
Like Biarritz Stade Perpignan Saints el al....

I will keep this post for nine months time.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Salary cap !
A2O
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Asking for 3/4 Top quality Internationals is probably asking for way too much.
Unless you are going to be releasing some more big name players.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

fortysix wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:01 pm This is ridiculous talking about REBUILDING the team with unproven youngsters !!!

We don't have room in the cap for two or three top quality proven internationals. It hasn't generally been our way to go out and buy big names either.

Having said that we need a couple of experienced props now, plus Eastmond. Next summer Fitzgerald needs replacing and if we need the marquee player spot vacated by Toomua to get a suitable lock (there I do agree with you that international standard is a minimum) then so be it.

Development of the prospects in the squad is a must in the current environment. To say otherwise is daft. The two strongest teams in the country have a host of homegrown talent and they go out their way to bring young players into experienced teams to drop feed that experience. When succession planning comes around you then have players to fill holes and experienced players leaving more money to spend on high quality additions as required rather than having to spend.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Homegrown players are more likely to be loyal than a marquee signing too.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:37 pm
fortysix wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:01 pm This is ridiculous talking about REBUILDING the team with unproven youngsters !!!

We don't have room in the cap for two or three top quality proven internationals. It hasn't generally been our way to go out and buy big names either.

Having said that we need a couple of experienced props now, plus Eastmond. Next summer Fitzgerald needs replacing and if we need the marquee player spot vacated by Toomua to get a suitable lock (there I do agree with you that international standard is a minimum) then so be it.

Development of the prospects in the squad is a must in the current environment. To say otherwise is daft. The two strongest teams in the country have a host of homegrown talent and they go out their way to bring young players into experienced teams to drop feed that experience. When succession planning comes around you then have players to fill holes and experienced players leaving more money to spend on high quality additions as required rather than having to spend.
To be fair I can imagine us still bringing in 3-4 signings still. Eastmond being one, two tightheads and then possibly a surprise signing no one saw coming. So it’s not too far from the mark maybe.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:45 am

To be fair I can imagine us still bringing in 3-4 signings still. Eastmond being one, two tightheads and then possibly a surprise signing no one saw coming. So it’s not too far from the mark maybe.
I sincerely hope so LTT. If we're not competitive at scrum time then we've got a major issue.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

They have got to prove themselves somehow, and that’s by being given the chance.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Ideally one loosehead and one tighthead. Two tightheads would leave us only Bateman and Hills as fit looseheads come the start of the season. To be fair three props would be more like it given our current third choice tighthead isn't yet 20.
adahym91

Post by adahym91 »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:23 pm

Ideally one loosehead and one tighthead. Two tightheads would leave us only Bateman and Hills as fit looseheads come the start of the season. To be fair three props would be more like it given our current third choice tighthead isn't yet 20.
Is Gigena injured? Otherwise, I'd put him ahead ahead of Hills. Not sure we really need another loosehead unless it's temporary to cover Genge.

Not related but Aspland-Robinson is looking sharp in the 7s.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

adahym91 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:04 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:23 pm

Is Gigena injured? Otherwise, I'd put him ahead ahead of Hills. Not sure we really need another loosehead unless it's temporary to cover Genge.

Not related but Aspland-Robinson is looking sharp in the 7s.
Doh, I always seem to forget Gigena. He's still largely inexperienced at top level rugby. I'd be happier if we could acquire a PI unit that could play both sides and a tighthead. Add Eastmond and that would be recruitment done for me.

Aspland-Robinson does look dangerous ball in hand. Reffell looked good at the breakdown and Simmons bossed the first half. That Falcons lad Radwan is a real speed merchant, he was the difference in that game.