LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part Deux

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part Deux

Post by JP14 »

Rugbyinsideline will be announcing something at 2pm, doubt it will be anything to do with us.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

Neil Fissler on twitter reckons the Eastmond deal is close...
cheers
Rich
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I’m not that happy about Eastmond, he’s got injury problems and has attitude. He’s not a worthwhile investment.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

JP14 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:54 am I’m not that happy about Eastmond, he’s got injury problems and has attitude. He’s not a worthwhile investment.
Who cares if he’s got attitude, so has Genge and people love him for it. Wasps fans have said when he’s fit he was class for them. So surely if he’s going for a good deal then it would be crazy to pass up on. Allow for more rotation in the 10/12 channel.

When the internationals are away, we’ll still be able to put out a backline of Harrison, Toomua, Holmes, Eastmond, Tuilagi, Thompstone, Veainu.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

It makes me laugh, it really does!

People just aren't happy with whoever we sign! We are bringing in an injury replacement for Genge, it's not going be a world class prop or a prop good enough to start at other Premiership clubs because if they are starters at other clubs, they will stay at that club and not come to us as an injury replacement.

Also, in regards to Kyle Eastmond, he hasn't really got massive attitude problems and if any club can sort him out, it's us.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

ellis9 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:11 am It makes me laugh, it really does!

People just aren't happy with whoever we sign! We are bringing in an injury replacement for Genge, it's not going be a world class prop or a prop good enough to start at other Premiership clubs because if they are starters at other clubs, they will stay at that club and not come to us as an injury replacement.

Also, in regards to Kyle Eastmond, he hasn't really got massive attitude problems and if any club can sort him out, it's us.
So true, unless we sign SBW, Kaino etc some people aren’t happy and think it’s fantasy rugby. Plus don’t take into account the salary cap.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Eastman will not be cheap, so I doubt if he is an addition, I suspect and fear he is a replacement. As to how good a union player he is well Bath and Wasps clearly were unconvinced and indeed he was widely reported as wanting to go back to league. However, that said, he does fit the Tigers statuatory requirement in that he has a poor injury record.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
LondonRich
Tiger Cub

Post by LondonRich »

I think Kyle Eastmond is a good addition, he can't command that high of a wage considering he's low on options at this stage, surely?

I watch a fair amount of Rugby League too and I remember being told that when he announced he was leaving Saints (Super League Saints) he was dropped to the reserves and flogged every single week, and he kept showing up and getting it done. When he showed up at Bath he must have been an absolute wreck.

Hopefully the Tigers environment brings out the best in him.

I've also seen a few Aus based articles (searched Matt Toomua in Google News) and it seems like Melbourne Rebels at the end of the season is all but confirmed.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Yes Genge has attitude, but has he had a red card this season? No. Eastmond? Yes. I just think it’s pointless we’re bringing in another injury-prone centre. I wasn’t asking for SBW or Luamape, but I was asking for an inside centre that isn’t injury prone for example somebody like Jackson Willison (although he’s now at Bath) or André Esterhuizen of the Sharks he wouldn’t have been too expensive.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Oh yes we did a marvellous job of sorting Opeti Fonua!!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I have no great issue with Eastmond joining as long as he's not Toomua's replacement, he knows Ford & Manu already and when he's fit and firing is probably the most talented English centre in the league
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

JP14 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:54 am I’m not that happy about Eastmond, he’s got injury problems and has attitude. He’s not a worthwhile investment.
Weren't similar things said about Lote Tuqiri? Especially about attitude. Not saying Eastmond will be the same, but "having an attitude" does not automatically mean they will be a problem, also didn't à certain Mr Wilkinson have a really bad injury record before going to Toulon? And Hartley's disciplinary record at club (not country) level was appalling up to his appointment as England captain. Been a bit different since. There are many more examples.

Yes, both things need to be noted and factored in, but people can change. There is no guarantee either way, so IF he comes, it would be nice if people give him a chance, even if they are sceptical. I've lost count of the number of players who have been rubbished on here before joining. Some have lived up to expectations, others not. If you have been more than say, 75%, correct in your assessment of incoming players, then maybe you should send in a CV. By all means feel free to draw attention to a players qualities, good and bad, but automatically inferring that this will continue is often wrong (Freddie Burns, Kitch).
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Surely Maafu can't be Genge replacement?!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:03 am

Oh yes we did a marvellous job of sorting Opeti Fonua!!

Some work some don't what's your point?

Fonua was more his off field discipline rather than a "Attitude".
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:31 am Surely Maafu can't be Genge replacement?!
He's stop gap cover, I'd imagine.