LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part Deux

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part Deux

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Wells has been very good everytime he plays and was arguably our best forward v Chiefs at WR then was dropped! Holmes started preseason on fire and was dropped for Malouf and carried his form into the AWC and still couldn't get a game. Worth was superb at Thomond Park but still we played May at FB rather than give him a chance. Even in the pack when Evans was fit MoC played 3 6s in the back row! I have no confidence in him whatsoever to bring these youngsters through!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:24 pm Well the only Youngster who is an out and out centre is Thacker.

With Ford, Toomua, May, Veainu likely off AI's and maybe Manu, the likes of Hardwick, Worth and Olowofela might have to be focusing on 10, 15 and wing instead of covering centre.

and whilst I prefer Worth at 12 he seems to be wanting to play 15 more than anything.

Currently during the AI's our backline depth is looking like
10. Hardwick, Ford
11. Holmes, Olowofela
12. Owen, Tait, Dunn (Who will most likely be out on loan first season)
13. Manu (?). Smith, Thacker (I'm of the opinion that Manu will play for England if he stays fit)
14. Thompstone, SAR
15. Worth

So regardless of playing the youngster we still need players to come in as the depth will be extremely low.

I wouldn't be surprised if we bring in a player short term to cover the AI's on top of someone like Eastmond.
You're missing the point, IMO.
The freak youngsters will stand out, they are easy, but most will require developing and that means playing, if they don't play then they don't develop, you just finish up with a group of limited twenty something players.
Tigers are not thin on the ground in any area, they just lack the gumption to bite the bullet and put it all out there for everyone to see!
Players with no step to make can't step up!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Really I'm not sure why you are fussed, I've rarely seen you praise a player coming up.

My point is that Eastmond is not a Bai/Loamanu solid safe player he brings something none of our player brings including Toomua and Manu brings and gives us a different option should we want it.

I could understand the problem if we where to sign say Camacho but 1 we have no out and out 12's coming up.
Hardwick wants to play mainly 10
Worth wants to play mainly 15
and both have a big chance of playing at 10 and 15 this season and next potentially.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:57 pm Really I'm not sure why you are fussed, I've rarely seen you praise a player coming up.

My point is that Eastmond is not a Bai/Loamanu solid safe player he brings something none of our player brings including Toomua and Manu brings and gives us a different option should we want it.

I could understand the problem if we where to sign say Camacho but 1 we have no out and out 12's coming up.
and both have a big chance of playing at 10 and 15 this season and next potentially.
Have I missed an interview with Worth? He played virtually no time at 15 in the first team last season he played mainly off the bench in the centres and seemed entirely at home including setting up a try in the final game Vs Sale. I thought if anything it might be the opposite and he was moving away from 15 and aiming to be a ball playing centre at either 12 or 13.

Hardwick didn't seem bothered playing the secondary playmaker in the England under 20 backline. If anything he flourished alongside Smith. I don't think it's in his nature not to be a voice in the backline and not look to use the ball and try to make things happen. Quite frankly we need more backs who are trying to make things happen rather than just run the call.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:57 pm Really I'm not sure why you are fussed, I've rarely seen you praise a player coming up.

I'm not fussed, I can always keep every penny of my money!
Hardwick at 10 makes sense but Worth at 15 doesn't, still though it's a shame the England U20 staff didn't know all that before someone else who wanted it more was left out to accommodate them!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Campese Ma'afu to Tigers.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Are you sure? I thought he'd signed for Ealing
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:38 am Are you sure? I thought he'd signed for Ealing

Yep.
Heard it the other day and now The Rugby Paper have pretty much confirmed it.

He has signed for Ealing, but prob has a prem club clause.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Meh! We are signing a guy who Saints let go because he was not good enough for their firsr team. He was a star in the A league though I suppose
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Is he a loan signing for Genge? Boris has got his work cut out to improve his scrummaging.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Another flipping prop who cant scrummage..heaven help us.
Some in the last few years were not fit to wear a Tigers shirt, let alone the 1st XV.....
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

If it's a bit of help to tide us over till Genge is back and a squad signing them I'm ok with it. If it's the only prop we've got coming in then I'm ******!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Does this mean that the Fe’ao deal is through RB?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:23 pm Does this mean that the Fe’ao deal is through RB?

Not that I’m aware of
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Ok that's good I guess.