LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part Deux

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part Deux

Post by G.K »

Not looking good - hope Eastmond is not signed, never has impressed me and don't think he would suit Tiger's game.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

How many caps has TPN got?
Edit: Way over 30 so hopefully we don't lose him too!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

G.K wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:31 am Not looking good - hope Eastmond is not signed, never has impressed me and don't think he would suit Tiger's game.
Eastmond is a class player when fit! Has played with Ford at Bath and Tuilagi on the summer tour to NZ. If he’s available for a reasonable price it would be crazy not to grab him!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Two sicknotes in the midfield. We will be lucky to get them paired together for 5 games! Put Owen in the mix and it really is stellar recruitment!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Seriously, are the youngsters not good enough that they need to panic buy a player who's recent form is injuries!
This is what happens when too patient with consistent underperforming names in the development set up, and that midfield area is once again a massive headache.
The star turns are off elsewhere and they are left needing to panic sign players that are only available because they have been underperforming.
So what is the team looking like for AI because given the possible state and in particular defensively I'd say that Eastmond's value might've shot up considerably and it could be more costly not to take a gamble on him!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

It could be Owen,Tait,Smith!
Could be Ford,Owen,Smith with Tait at FB. Depends if Eddie sticks with Cips. TV will be with Tonga. Do we gamble on a MF of Simmons,Worth,Hardwick,Olowefela?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:02 am It could be Owen,Tait,Smith!
Could be Ford,Owen,Smith with Tait at FB. Depends if Eddie sticks with Cips. TV will be with Tonga. Do we gamble on a MF of Simmons,Worth,Hardwick,Olowefela?
I have no idea, but you'd expect the pro's to know and being interested in Eastmond tells me that there isn't massive confidence in the resources already at their disposal, which begs the question why, given that they put it together in the first place!
If the likes of Hardwick, Worth, Thacker and Olowafela etc are here then surely you play them otherwise what is the point, I could understand were it up front but being backs they should be ready at the age several of them are at, if not then they never will be!
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I'd be quite happy taking a punt on simmnos at 9 , hardwick at 10 or 12 , olafowa at 13 or wing , and Worth at FB . Would not play thacker anywhere .
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

It really is **** or bust this season in terms of blooding the youngsters with the WC around the corner. The AWC without the W is a complete waste of time imo so the blooding has to occur in the GP. It will be a very delicate balancing act this season but we could be without Youngs,Ford,Manu,Toomua,May,Veainu,etc for a while. We have to be prepared for this but unfortunately I see a scenario where we just throw guys in and hope for the best!
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

Are we assuming Manu will be with England or that he will be injured? I suspect initially Ford might be getting sent back to us a bit as they give Cips a chance. Don't need Cips, Farrell and Ford in the 23.

Re: Toomua, I've not followed this closely, but is there confirmation anywhere from him / ARFU or just an article in the SMH?
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Manu could be injured or at the AIs,Ford could be dropped for the AIs but will be at the WC. Contingency plans have to be made for every scenario. Do we honestly think Sarries or Chiefs etc won't be planning ahead?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Goshengareth wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:38 am Are we assuming Manu will be with England or that he will be injured? I suspect initially Ford might be getting sent back to us a bit as they give Cips a chance. Don't need Cips, Farrell and Ford in the 23.

Re: Toomua, I've not followed this closely, but is there confirmation anywhere from him / ARFU or just an article in the SMH?
No confirmation from either Toomua or TPN but they are both training at oval park.
Can’t see them being called up for the Southern Hemisphere championship as the Aussies already have their squad together after the Ireland tests.
If we loose them for the November internationals so be it there will be contingency plans in place as if they were injured
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:46 am Manu could be injured or at the AIs,Ford could be dropped for the AIs but will be at the WC. Contingency plans have to be made for every scenario. Do we honestly think Sarries or Chiefs etc won't be planning ahead?
That's the only solid foundation that I can see with Eastmond.
Looking at what Eastmond brings and I suspect there is a view that more gas is needed in midfield.
Still though, and taking personal opinion out of the debate, the youngsters are here and several have been for many years, if they are here then they must be viewed as potentially good enough, they'll never develop their potential if they don't play.
It's a bit of a head scratcher to be honest, all these young players talked about as potential future stars etc and yet not enough confidence to play a few of them!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Well the only Youngster who is an out and out centre is Thacker.

With Ford, Toomua, May, Veainu likely off AI's and maybe Manu, the likes of Hardwick, Worth and Olowofela might have to be focusing on 10, 15 and wing instead of covering centre.

and whilst I prefer Worth at 12 he seems to be wanting to play 15 more than anything.

Currently during the AI's our backline depth is looking like
10. Hardwick, Ford
11. Holmes, Olowofela
12. Owen, Tait, Dunn (Who will most likely be out on loan first season)
13. Manu (?). Smith, Thacker (I'm of the opinion that Manu will play for England if he stays fit)
14. Thompstone, SAR
15. Worth

So regardless of playing the youngster we still need players to come in as the depth will be extremely low.

I wouldn't be surprised if we bring in a player short term to cover the AI's on top of someone like Eastmond.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

There will always be a potential Harrison,Owen,Tait,Smith MF. It's very solid and safe,albeit a bit pedestrian but I'm with BFG,I want more than solid and safe and want to see what these youngsters are made of. Will they get their chance? Looking at Wells and Holmes for a time last season as well as perhaps Worth too then with MOC no!