LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part Deux

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part Deux

Post by RagingBull »

Whilst I like Owen and would take him back, he's isn't anywhere near Toomua class.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:08 pm I think Tom is gonna have a stormer of a season. It's incredible that he was able to play at all with what was going on but to have a weight like that lifted he will be like a new man!
For once I agree with. Looking at the pictures fro my the clubs Instagram he looks very focused and in the mood.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:11 pm Whilst I like Owen and would take him back, he's isn't anywhere near Toomua class.
Neither is Ford.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:56 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:11 pm Whilst I like Owen and would take him back, he's isn't anywhere near Toomua class.
Neither is Ford.
Point being?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:17 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:51 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:19 pm

Tigers are spoilt with these two young hookers. Both look good players with an eye for the try line. I imagine Stevens has been brought in for some experience, he seemed to do well in the championship last season.

Plus people wondering about cover at fullback, lots of welsh fans thought that Gareth Owens best position was 15 when he played for Scarlets. Would also make sense if we are bringing in another 2 centres.
Didn't he play 15 before a really nasty knee injury. After coming back from the injury play mainly centre as he had lost the pace to play 15? I thought that's why the Scarlets agreed to release him as they had options at centre.

TV, Aspland-Robinson, Worth and Tait can all play 15 we'll manage. Could even drop Symonds back there in an emergency. I'm confident our young backs can step up and do a job. I'm more worried about our prop resources, there we need two signings minimum as there must be concerns over Hills and Heyes isn't going to AP ready at 19.
Well the rumours seem to indicate we are looking to bring in two tightheads (Ryan and Fe’ao) and possibly two centres (Eastmond and Macken). So if all is well in the world and these signings are true, I guess the squad will be in a much better place.
I think we will sign a centre and are sounding out options currently. Seem to be looking at an EQ player with AP experience. Can't see us signing two centres when we've got so five senior players all comfortable in the midfield and then another four academy/development players who can all play centre as well.

Owen Williams will only leave Glaws on a lower wage if it means he goes home and contends for a spot in the Wales squad.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:38 pm The idea that Owen Williams would be the best replacement for Toomua if and when he leaves is utterly hilarious.

Disappointed that Toomua looks certain to leave sooner than we expected, but the chance to play in a World Cup is always going to take priority, so I don't blame him for changing his mind.
Why did Toomua sign a 2 year extension with us then? If he wanted to play in the World Cup, he shouldn't have committed to Tigers for another 2 years.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think people on this forum are overreacting here, apart from a pay check what loyalty should Toomua have to us that outmusters his loyalty to his country, he signed a contract extension because he thought that his international career was over. Let’s not forget, he has been away from his wife pretty much for two years, a brilliant sportswoman who could in no way live here because of her cricket/soccer career. We need to show compassion here people, this is his family we’re talking about. As long as he plays this season with a bang I’m fine for it, go play for your country on the verge of a World Cup, go home to your wife, that’s what matters not a English mid-table rugby club.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

A bit naive ellis to think any player will stick to a contract, he has no affinity with Tigers, he is playing for Tigers because they offered him the best deal at that time, you can't blame a player if a better offer comes along and also to play for his country and return home to his family.
Gone are the days of players playing for one club, money talks, it's a short career.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:59 pm I think people on this forum are overreacting here, apart from a pay check what loyalty should Toomua have to us that outmusters his loyalty to his country, he signed a contract extension because he thought that his international career was over. Let’s not forget, he has been away from his wife pretty much for two years, a brilliant sportswoman who could in no way live here because of her cricket/soccer career. We need to show compassion here people, this is his family we’re talking about. As long as he plays this season with a bang I’m fine for it, go play for your country on the verge of a World Cup, go home to your wife, that’s what matters not a English mid-table rugby club.
Yes and no.

Whilst he has no right to be loyal he missed pretty much his whole first season (Which he started off by being red carded....).
Considering he's our marquee players it's a bit annoying we will only have 2 out of the 4 years. (Actually more like 1 and a half now)

He also said when he moved he would be seeing more of his wife than he was due to the way the seasons fell.
Last edited by RagingBull on Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:59 pm I think people on this forum are overreacting here, apart from a pay check what loyalty should Toomua have to us that outmusters his loyalty to his country, he signed a contract extension because he thought that his international career was over. Let’s not forget, he has been away from his wife pretty much for two years, a brilliant sportswoman who could in no way live here because of her cricket/soccer career. We need to show compassion here people, this is his family we’re talking about. As long as he plays this season with a bang I’m fine for it, go play for your country on the verge of a World Cup, go home to your wife, that’s what matters not a English mid-table rugby club.
Wrong. His international career was temporarily over because he signed for Tigers. He was playing for Australia when he signed for us. If his intention was to play in a World Cup, which I have no problem with, he shouldn't have signed a new 2 year contract.

Mid table club?!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Toomua was playing for Australia when we signed him. Him signing for us meant he temporarily ended his Australia career until he goes back. He chose that option and then signed a another 2 year contract. It's disappointing he may be ending that contract early.
Last edited by ellis9 on Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

ellis9 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:14 pm
Wrong. His international career was temporarily over because he signed for Tigers. He was playing for Australia when he signed for us. If his intention was to play in a World Cup, which I have no problem with, he shouldn't have signed a new 2 year contract.

Mid table club?!
We finished 5th, that is mid-table.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:59 am
ellis9 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:14 pm

Mid table club?!
We finished 5th, that is mid-table.
Level on points with 4th though and after having finished in the top 4 for the past 12 years or so. I wouldn't call us a mid table club.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Yes Ellis, in the last three seasons we have been in out of the top four during the season and have only scraped through by the skin of our teeth. We play like a mid-table club and last season it finally showed on the table.