Post by RagingBull »

Jake Kerr also looks a promising player
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part Deux

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:00 pm
fortysix wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:48 pm You couldnt make this up..
We are still missing 2 heavy duty proven in your face props , 1 nasty top quality lock, two centres and a top notch reserve 15.
Everyone we have bought this season is either a well worn journeyman, or an up and comer..so to speak
Another season of mediocrity awaits, methinks....
Oh there’s the happy brigade out in force. Recruitment for next season isn’t even finished yet and people are criticising before we know the whole picture!
And last season people were moaning we didn't play the youngsters enough so if there is now more room for them no doubt people will be moaning they aren't ready!

Sometimes you are damned if you do and damned if you dont!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:59 am
fortysix wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:48 pm You couldnt make this up..
We are still missing 2 heavy duty proven in your face props , 1 nasty top quality lock, two centres and a top notch reserve 15.
Everyone we have bought this season is either a well worn journeyman, or an up and comer..so to speak
Another season of mediocrity awaits, methinks....
Oh there’s the happy brigade out in force. Recruitment for next season isn’t even finished yet and people are criticising before we know the whole picture!
And last season people were moaning we didn't play the youngsters enough so if there is now more room for them no doubt people will be moaning they aren't ready!

Bang on!

Tigers can never do right for doing wrong with some people on here!

As you say, many people were crucifying Tigers for "not bringing through enough home grown talent" and "giving them an opportunity". Now it looks like we may have youngsters to give that opportunity to, we are being told they're not good enough!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

ellis9 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:07 am
DeadlyDunc wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:59 am

Bang on!

Tigers can never do right for doing wrong with some people on here!

As you say, many people were crucifying Tigers for "not bringing through enough home grown talent" and "giving them an opportunity". Now it looks like we may have youngsters to give that opportunity to, we are being told they're not good enough!
Couldn’t make this up, there’s no winning for Tigers. They bring in experienced player “Tigers won’t win win anything with all these journeymen”

They thin out the squad to let the younger academy lads come through into the senior team “Tigers won’t win anything without any premiership standard players”
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:24 am Jake Kerr also looks a promising player
As does Harry Mahoney!!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TTRITH wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:58 am
sam16111986 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:54 am
TTRITH wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:17 am Tom Youngs, Jimmy Stevens and Harry Mahoney doesn't really fill me with great confidence.
Tom Youngs the captain and former Lions test player? Jimmy Stevens was in the Championship team of the season. With the AIs they normally take place during the LV or whatever it is now where TPN wouldn't be selected anyway so would be a good time to give the younger lads game time.
Come on, everyone knows Tom isn't the player he was. Joe Ford was the top points scorer in the Championship the year before we signed him!

It's not just the AIs though, the Rugby Championship finishes on the 6th October(?), best case scenario is they'd be back on the Monday, play for two weeks, although they'd probably need a rest and then be gone again for 4 weeks. It wouldn't make sense to bring them back to camp for two weeks.
Tom is more than capable of playing at AP and European level. Stevens is solid but unspectacular. Kerr looks like a unit (check out picture 14 on the preseason gallery) and Mahoney is highly rated. I'm more than happy with the options.

TPN might not be selected in the Rugby Championship, Chieka may use the games to blood other options.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

JP14 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:49 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:24 am Jake Kerr also looks a promising player
As does Harry Mahoney!!
Tigers are spoilt with these two young hookers. Both look good players with an eye for the try line. I imagine Stevens has been brought in for some experience, he seemed to do well in the championship last season.

Plus people wondering about cover at fullback, lots of welsh fans thought that Gareth Owens best position was 15 when he played for Scarlets. Would also make sense if we are bringing in another 2 centres.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:19 pm
As does Harry Mahoney!!
Tigers are spoilt with these two young hookers. Both look good players with an eye for the try line. I imagine Stevens has been brought in for some experience, he seemed to do well in the championship last season.

Plus people wondering about cover at fullback, lots of welsh fans thought that Gareth Owens best position was 15 when he played for Scarlets. Would also make sense if we are bringing in another 2 centres.
Didn't he play 15 before a really nasty knee injury. After coming back from the injury play mainly centre as he had lost the pace to play 15? I thought that's why the Scarlets agreed to release him as they had options at centre.

TV, Aspland-Robinson, Worth and Tait can all play 15 we'll manage. Could even drop Symonds back there in an emergency. I'm confident our young backs can step up and do a job. I'm more worried about our prop resources, there we need two signings minimum as there must be concerns over Hills and Heyes isn't going to AP ready at 19.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:51 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:19 pm

As does Harry Mahoney!!

Didn't he play 15 before a really nasty knee injury. After coming back from the injury play mainly centre as he had lost the pace to play 15? I thought that's why the Scarlets agreed to release him as they had options at centre.

TV, Aspland-Robinson, Worth and Tait can all play 15 we'll manage. Could even drop Symonds back there in an emergency. I'm confident our young backs can step up and do a job. I'm more worried about our prop resources, there we need two signings minimum as there must be concerns over Hills and Heyes isn't going to AP ready at 19.
Well the rumours seem to indicate we are looking to bring in two tightheads (Ryan and Fe’ao) and possibly two centres (Eastmond and Macken). So if all is well in the world and these signings are true, I guess the squad will be in a much better place.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Where has this rumour about TPN come from. I just can’t see it with him being in his early 30s and surely the club would have to agree to release both him and Toomua for anything before the November tests and they would probably miss the 2 European fixtures
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:56 pm Where has this rumour about TPN come from. I just can’t see it with him being in his early 30s and surely the club would have to agree to release both him and Toomua for anything before the November tests and they would probably miss the 2 European fixtures
Internationals trump clubs.

As long as the Nations team wants them and it's int he International window there is nothing we can do.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I think Tom is gonna have a stormer of a season. It's incredible that he was able to play at all with what was going on but to have a weight like that lifted he will be like a new man!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:08 pm I think Tom is gonna have a stormer of a season. It's incredible that he was able to play at all with what was going on but to have a weight like that lifted he will be like a new man!
Agreed.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

The idea that Owen Williams would be the best replacement for Toomua if and when he leaves is utterly hilarious.

Disappointed that Toomua looks certain to leave sooner than we expected, but the chance to play in a World Cup is always going to take priority, so I don't blame him for changing his mind.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

How so? Top assist maker in the AP the season he left,and from 12 too. How is that utterly hilarious?