LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part Deux

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part Deux

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Toomua is contracted for two more seasons isn't he? If something like Eastmond for Toomua happened that would be the last straw for me!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:50 pm Tigers have never been put off by previous bad behaviour, just as long as they can park it at the door once they are here.
He also has a decent working relationship with Ford too
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:51 pm Toomua is contracted for two more seasons isn't he? If something like Eastmond for Toomua happened that would be the last straw for me!
I believe the rumours are that Chieka is trying to get around the Aussie selection restrictions by getting Toomua to agree to return to Oz after his contract with Tigers ends. That way he'd be committed to the ARU in the future and therefore available for selection.

Eastmond would be a high quality option to help rotation. Can't see it though, all the rumours are he's going back to League.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Hopefully there's never a scenario where he's playing with Ford! That means Toomuas injured,it's poor selection or even worse Toomua isn't here anymore. Doesn't bear thinking about!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:16 pm
strawclearer wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:57 pm
"Leicester Tigers have spoken to Kyle Eastmond. Deal is believed to still be a way off."
The only thing that worries me about this is adding it together with the Toomua rumour
If Toomua does go back to Australia won’t be till after this season at the earliest. Super rugby is coming to an end and he could easily play a full season in the northern hemisphere and then join up with the Aussies squad before Japan
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Pretty sure this has nothing to do with toomua leaving

the fact he plays 13 and wing is a big positive.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I hope not! But you reminding me about Kyle's ability to play 13 and wing had cheered me up no end RB,thanks!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Can’t see Eastmond and Macken coming. Either one would leave us with 4 quality centres with both experienced and youthful back up
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:51 pm Toomua is contracted for two more seasons isn't he? If something like Eastmond for Toomua happened that would be the last straw for me!
If Toomua leaves the club before his contract expires, then I'd say thanks for your time but why bother coming to us in the first place?! He knew when signing with us, he would temporarily end his chances of playing for Australia so why cut the contract short now? We didn't cut your contract short when you were injured for the whole of our first season after 10 minutes!
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

If Eastmond is such a good player then why has he been on the "Player Available" shelf since before the season ended? probably the agents want a bigger cut!
I note on the recently updated Tigers Senior Squad that Matt Toomua is listed as a fly half and Telusa Veainu is classed as a winger, whereas some have dual roles.
https://www.leicestertigers.com/team/senior
Well done RB on the update too.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

wormus wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:30 pm If Eastmond is such a good player then why has he been on the "Player Available" shelf since before the season ended? probably the agents want a bigger cut!
I note on the recently updated Tigers Senior Squad that Matt Toomua is listed as a fly half and Telusa Veainu is classed as a winger, whereas some have dual roles.
https://www.leicestertigers.com/team/senior
Well done RB on the update too.
Interesting to see that Bateman is still classed as hooker and that Mathew Tait has been switched back to fullback.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Toomua back to Oz, apparently signing for the Rebels,that's our season over!!!
Edit: it's next season so that gives us a year to mess up getting his replacement!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Yeah it says he’s to join them for the 2019/2020 season and he is committed to Tigers for next season. Hardly unexpected given that Cheika wanted him back for the WC.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:08 am Toomua back to Oz, apparently signing for the Rebels,that's our season over!!!
Edit: it's next season so that gives us a year to mess up getting his replacement!
Where has this been announced?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:08 am Toomua back to Oz, apparently signing for the Rebels,that's our season over!!!
The chances are we won't get someone as good as Toomua as he is world class but that doesn't mean we will mess it up!